• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

White Gold Vs Stainless Steel

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Found a nice post on another forum, thought I'd steal share it here...

Some time ago, this topic came up in another forum where someone questioned why anyone would want to wear white gold when it looks just like stainless steel.

Sometimes it does. Most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes that's not the point.

Let's get the last out of the way. Part of the attraction of white gold is that it is a subtle form of wealth on your wrist that doesn't attract attention except from a discerning few. Platinum has a similar attraction.

When does it look the same as stainless steel? When steel is plated or polished to a mirror finish, and white gold is rhodium plated and polished.

Here are two very dissimilar watches: a modern Eberhardt Postillon 8 Jours and a 1956 LeCoultre Galaxy

DSC_0088jpg1.jpg

Why these two watches? The Eberhardt is stainless steel with a mirror finish and the LeCoultre is 14k white gold polished to a mirror finish.

Let's turn them over.

DSC_0091jpg2.jpg

If there is a difference, it is not obvious. A difference in tone, but not color -- mostly there is a reflective quality.

But when the difference is obvious is when the metals are not plated and not polished.

I don't have two identical watches in the different metals, but I do have watches with similar characteristics.

A white gold watch with a white gold textured face, with a brushed case, and a bracelet with polished and brushed areas. This is a 1968 Seamaster Day_Date Chronometer.

DSC_0009jpg3.jpg

For comparison, the modern Speedy bracelet has both polished and brushed areas. I have two Speedies with silvered faces.

2001 Split Seconds with blued hands, also a chronometer, with the standard stainless steel bracelet (although obviously not in this photo!).

DSCN2124jpg4.jpg

Triple date or full calendar automatic Speedy, garden variety, also with a standard stainless steel bracelet

DSC_0013jpg5.jpg

Here's an initial group shot of the three

DSC_0095jpg6.jpg

There's a clear difference in the metals. White gold is much "whiter" in the side by side.

Large expanses of polished areas are mostly reflective and the metals lose their distinction, as on the casebacks

DSC_0098jpg7.jpg

Hard to see much distinction in either the direct or the mirrored images. Let's focus on the brushed areas of the watches on case fronts

DSC_0134jpg8.jpg
DSC_0140jpg9.jpg

The difference is there, but it would be easily overlooked if you didn't have a differing metal for comparison. Let's look just at the brushed and polished areas on the bracelets.

DSC_0107jpg10.jpg
DSC_0108jpg11.jpg

DSC_0138jpg12.jpg

Obvious in the photo, subtle in real life. Intensity and angle of light plays a big part as well. Look at the difference in the two essentially identical Speedy bracelets in these two shots.

DSC_0149jpg13.jpg

DSC_0146jpg14.jpg

Also notice that the white gold is uniformly white despite the angle of light. Some say white gold seems to have a glow, and retains its whiteness even in dimmer light. Seems to in these photos . . .

As long as we are compaing metals, let's throw titanium into the mix, with a titanium ChronoDiver. This is also a good side by side of the Speedy versus the Bond bracelet on the ChronoDiver.

DSC_0152jpg15.jpg
c91ed8e8jpg16.jpg

198d1937jpg17.jpg

Titanium looks very industrial and less metallic in this company, somehow.

In conclusion, polished white gold and polished stainless steel are difficult to tell apart. Brushed, the metals are easier to tell apart -- very easy if they are side by side.

But the difference is subtle. And if you don't have something beside it to compare to, white gold may go unnoticed by the undiscerning.

If you see a metal that seems to glow a bit even in shadow, and is somehow a bit whiter than usual, suspect it is white gold.

Bet you can pick out which is which now?

DSC_0064jpg18.jpg

DSC_0058jpg19.jpg

Add a little aluminum for contrast

DSC_0055jpg20.jpg

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Nice post. To add my .02,gold has a weight and feel that's unique, as does platinum. Those that can afford the luxury of those metals often say the feel is as important as the look ....

Reactions: pistebasher

sanankid

I'm Pretty Popular
18/6/11
gold is softer than stainless. i think it feels different on the wrist. it is hard to explain.

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
It can even be hard when the watch is brushed.

Recently I went through Heathrow and found a Rolex Sub Blue Ceramic in a box full of steel Rollies. In the artificial light of the shop it was pretty impossible to tell that one was white gold and the others not.

When talking to the sales guy, he did agree that Rolex had made this particular blue model so that it was not confused with steel versions.

But really, the only way to tell - unless you know the model like up - is the hallmarking.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I think the simple DJ is a perfect example of the difference. The difference between the bezel and the case is quite noticeable across the room . And more so out in the sun.

DSCN2575.jpg

DJ16014.jpg

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
Interestingly it looks more obvious on the Omegas than on the Rollies? Is that your experience from real life as well?