• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Watches

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Has anyone purchased a vintage Oris or Russian (USSR) watch off of ebay or Etsy? If so, how was your experience? I see these vintage 17 jewels Oris from a certain Indian seller either on Ebay or Etsy. They seems cheap but I'm sure it's not a true vintage 100% OEM Oris. What are your thoughts on them?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I've bought a few vintage Russian watches from sellers on eBay over the last month or so, just because the styling is funky and they're really cheap. My buys have been in the £30 range, and for that money I'm happy with something that looks cool/old even if it's not strictly accurate. I very much doubt the cheap ones are really "vintage" - or if they are, they're cobbled together from mismatched old and new bits. It's like everything online - if it's truly vintage, it's rarer and costs more... and it gets copied a lot!

So, my experience has been fine because I just made a "best offer" on the watches I fancy the look of and got them cheap (because they were cheap to start with). I'm not even bothered that the crown dropped off the first one within 10 minutes of owning it, while I messed around trying to work out how the heck you set the date on a Poljot...

BTW, I've started following the Russian watch collector section on WatchUSeek since getting interested - there's a TON of useful information there about the watches and the various online dealers.

Last edited:

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Thanks. I doubt that's it's truly vintage and I'm sure it's all sketchy - a cobble of mixed parts put together. Those "vintage" Oris watches seem good for minimal amount (less than $40 USD). I'm just more concerned about quality and performance. Don't want it to fall apart after a month or two after use.

I have my eyes on some "vintage" Orises, Zim, Molnija, & Pobeda. My main concern is the quality, performance, and size - people used to wear smaller wristwatches.

Reactions: p0pperini

Bobcat12345

11/10/15
I have picked up a few. The last had a mechanical alarm which I had to have in the collection. Quality is hit or miss but the cool factor and price make that ok with me.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: p0pperini

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
I've purchased a Vostock, replaced the hands and bezel...looks great. It's a fun watch at a cheap price and lots of mod parts available.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
very cool watches to look at and collect - but I find myself never picking them up again after a few days...