• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the difference between a $ 300 watch and a $ 100 watch?

owk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/10/18
@ploni1 here is an example how your watch could look after quite of a time. This was the first replica watch I bought and the quality difference is easy to tell.
You'll get a shitty automatic movement (the badest availiable), the spread is torrible, only around 6h power reserve.
You can see on the picture how some part from the dial break away, lol - how can that just happen :D

It was the right decision that you bought a more expensive one. The Noob DayDate I bought last year is still as it's new, the AETA movement works like a charm.

Reactions: ploni1

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
egroegart G it is great to have you back :) I have seen so many noobs get flamed for posting these questions instead of people with a lot of knowledge helping them out. It breaks my heart to see it. New members do not feel welcomed to this fantastic community and end up making mistakes and get disillusioned with the hobby. Thank you so much for taking the time and providing so much detail.

ploni1 Your question is indeed a valid one and I will briefly detail my experience of the rep world.

I have had over 200 watches at this stage. I have a broader experience than most as I have bought from many sources. I have had gens, frankens, super frankens. hIgh end replicas ($300+) and cheapies as low as $10 ( at $10 they go to the bin usually or I give them to my kids to break).

My rule now is if it is a must have I do not think twice and go straight to a TD here. If I simply want to see what a watch looks like I buy a cheapie. If i like it I buy the high end and pass on the cheapie here in the M2M sales section at a serious discount. If I do not like it I do the same, it ends up in M2M here at an even more serious discount lol. Or else I give them away to friends here.

I can tell you I never really hang on to the cheaper ones as I get bored with them and the quality is just not up to scratch in general. (One I bought recently for over €100 rusted the day I got it as it was obviously not stainless steel and I wash all my watches before wearing them, I polished it back to its original state and sent it over to hasel53128 so he can hide it in one of his numerous drawers of watches. It looks the part but I would not hang onto a watch that rusts). So that answers another question, you will be promised refunds from these guys but good luck in getting one if there is a problem. If that was a TD sale they would refund immediately however an issue like that would not happen. There was only one cheapie I hung on to for more than 4 years. Most are gone within 3 months.

So the difference in sellers:

WeChat sellers:

They buy the same reps that are on offer on DHGate. The photos are usually good as they are stolen from gen sites or from DHGate sellers. They make a high mark up compared to most DHgate stuff but they buy them the same way (Wholesale) Like DHGate they never handle the watch. They buy en masse from wholesalers and the watch is drop shipped. Quality of the steel, assembly and movements are generally sub par.

Internet sellers:

This is where a lot of people get ripped off. They usually advertise Swiss made replicas, with genuine movements. They charge up to $1,500 for the privilege of buying from them. They will send you a 21j piece of crap if you are lucky to get anything at all. Good luck with trying to do a chargeback as they change bank accounts like people change their underware.

DHGate Sellers:

They come and go like the wind. There is very little consistency. These used to operate from AliExpress until Ali went all legit and started to boot off rep dealers. Same quality as the WeChat sellers but usually cheaper. You can get higher end stuff but they are sometimes older versions and expect to pay anywhere between $100 and $400 more than the TDs here sell for. Again good comms before a sale but damn all after especially if there is a problem.

TDs:

The rep fora were set up because people were getting ripped off. Rep enthusiasts got together to share info on reps and get the best for their members. All the rep fora put a lot of effort into sourcing TDs. They are seriously vetted before getting a place here. Just think there are thousands of Rep sellers and only a handful make it on to the rep boards, we ban up to three WeChat sellers every day who try to sell their wares on here. If TDs do not live up to the standards we expect they are booted. The TD list here has changed substantially over the years but people like sead1999 puretime ryanwayer torobravo , to name but a few, have been here for years.

TDs do not drop ship. If you order a watch they actually handle it themselves and QC it. The photos you get form them is of the actual watch. Many other sellers claim access to the factories but it is rubbish. Some of the TDs here have a working relationship with the factories. Every time they source a watch for you their reputation here is on the line. Yes like everyone they can have off days but if there is a problem they will sort it for you and the volunteer staff here will help if needs be.

I could go on and on lol but i hope this helps in answering the question.

Reactions: geekgeek and ploni1

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
from my experience, there are for want of a better description, some more complex pieces that command a high price tag, but are not always that close to gen.
But there are less complex pieces, that if you choose correctly are awesome pieces that are very good reps, and hard to call out to all but the more knowledgeable.
putting it bluntly, you will find it much easier to find good reps of the more common pieces, than the high end pieces, that understandably are works of art that are not easy to replicate off the shelf....

I understand. So you say the bottom line - that there are very common watches that have come with them at a high level at a not so high price, because of the vast experience of their fortification? Allow one example of a specific model, it interests me .. (Or do you mean all Rokles poplars for example?)

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
@ploni1 here is an example how your watch could look after quite of a time. This was the first replica watch I bought and the quality difference is easy to tell.
You'll get a shitty automatic movement (the badest availiable), the spread is torrible, only around 6h power reserve.
You can see on the picture how some part from the dial break away, lol - how can that just happen :D

It was the right decision that you bought a more expensive one. The Noob DayDate I bought last year is still as it's new, the AETA movement works like a charm.

I understand. Is it hours in the $ 50-100 price range?

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
egroegart G it is great to have you back :) I have seen so many noobs get flamed for posting these questions instead of people with a lot of knowledge helping them out. It breaks my heart to see it. New members do not feel welcomed to this fantastic community and end up making mistakes and get disillusioned with the hobby. Thank you so much for taking the time and providing so much detail.

ploni1 Your question is indeed a valid one and I will briefly detail my experience of the rep world.

I have had over 200 watches at this stage. I have a broader experience than most as I have bought from many sources. I have had gens, frankens, super frankens. hIgh end replicas ($300+) and cheapies as low as $10 ( at $10 they go to the bin usually or I give them to my kids to break).

My rule now is if it is a must have I do not think twice and go straight to a TD here. If I simply want to see what a watch looks like I buy a cheapie. If i like it I buy the high end and pass on the cheapie here in the M2M sales section at a serious discount. If I do not like it I do the same, it ends up in M2M here at an even more serious discount lol. Or else I give them away to friends here.

I can tell you I never really hang on to the cheaper ones as I get bored with them and the quality is just not up to scratch in general. (One I bought recently for over €100 rusted the day I got it as it was obviously not stainless steel and I wash all my watches before wearing them, I polished it back to its original state and sent it over to hasel53128 so he can hide it in one of his numerous drawers of watches. It looks the part but I would not hang onto a watch that rusts). So that answers another question, you will be promised refunds from these guys but good luck in getting one if there is a problem. If that was a TD sale they would refund immediately however an issue like that would not happen. There was only one cheapie I hung on to for more than 4 years. Most are gone within 3 months.

WeChat sellers:

They buy the same reps that are on offer on DHGate. The photos are usually good as they are stolen from gen sites or from DHGate sellers. They make a high mark up compared to most DHgate stuff but they buy them the same way (Wholesale) Like DHGate they never handle the watch. They buy en masse from wholesalers and the watch is drop shipped. Quality of the steel, assembly and movements are generally sub par.

Internet sellers:

This is where a lot of people get ripped off. They usually advertise Swiss made replicas, with genuine movements. They charge up to $1,500 for the privilege of buying from them. They will send you a 21j piece of crap if you are lucky to get anything at all. Good luck with trying to do a chargeback as they change bank accounts like people change their underware.

DHGate Sellers:

They come and go like the wind. There is very little consistency. These used to operate from AliExpress until Ali went all legit and started to boot off rep dealers. Same quality as the WeChat sellers but usually cheaper. You can get higher end stuff but they are sometimes older versions and expect to pay anywhere between $100 and $400 more than the TDs here sell for. Again good comms before a sale but damn all after especially if there is a problem.

TDs:

The rep fora were set up because people were getting ripped off. Rep enthusiasts got together to share info on reps and get the best for their members. All the rep fora put a lot of effort into sourcing TDs. They are seriously vetted before getting a place here. Just think there are thousands of Rep sellers and only a handful make it on to the rep boards, we ban up to three WeChat sellers every day who try to sell their wares on here. If TDs do not live up to the standards we expect they are booted. The TD list here has changed substantially over the years but people like sead1999 puretime ryanwayer torobravo , to name but a few, have been here for years.

TDs do not drop ship. If you order a watch they actually handle it themselves and QC it. The photos you get form them is of the actual watch. Many other sellers claim access to the factories but it is rubbish. Some of the TDs here have a working relationship with the factories. Every time they source a watch for you their reputation here is on the line. Yes like everyone they can have off days but if there is a problem they will sort it for you and the volunteer staff here will help if needs be.

A wonderful and invested answer !!!! So much vital information. Thank you.

There is a lot of information here and I love it all but I wanted clarification on some small things (ie without detracting from the importance of the other things you said). Theoretically - if I want to experiment with a simple watch, you could say that there is no point in buying WE CHAT (how do you get WECHAT merchants through this forum?) Because I can buy them at DHGate (where there is customer review) or buy second hand? M2M is this forum? In general can you feel safe buying a second hand here?

owk

5/10/18
I understand. Is it hours in the $ 50-100 price range?

Yup, I bought this watch on darkweb lol.. prolly around 8 years ago. As far as I remember it was advertised as AAA+ replica and was around $100. Cheapest movement, very cheap made. The screws went out of the bracelet etc.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
A wonderful and invested answer !!!! So much vital information. Thank you.

There is a lot of information here and I love it all but I wanted clarification on some small things (ie without detracting from the importance of the other things you said). Theoretically - if I want to experiment with a simple watch, you could say that there is no point in buying WE CHAT (how do you get WECHAT merchants through this forum?) Because I can buy them at DHGate (where there is customer review) or buy second hand? M2M is this forum? In general can you feel safe buying a second hand here?

I can gladly clarify this.

The WeChat guys are generally dearer than on DHGate and yes only buy from DHGate sellers who have reviews and good feedback. If you are buying on DHGate ask for a photo of the actual watch. If they do not provide it or send you a photo of a genuine watch, do not buy from them.

RWI is the biggest Rep forum and well known now. So we get targeted by the WeCHat dealers who try to sneak in here and advertise in public or try to sell via PM. We catch them and boot them.

M2M here is generally safe. We do more than any other forum to protect our members. Scammers are rare but we try to help if a member is scammed. There are good bargains in there if you know what to look for and know your prices. Do not buy until a member of staff has approved the sale. Also the first rule of buying is "Do not buy the watch, buy the seller". If something does not feel right walk away. We used to have a feedback system but it was disabled when we moved to a new platform. It is still being worked on.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Oh and ploni1 be warned this is a very addictive hobby lol. Do not say I did not warn you :)

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13

WeChat sellers:

Internet sellers:

DHGate Sellers:

TDs:

Thank you C Master. I was an art teacher for kindergarten through 12th grade for 11 years. I chose that profession because I wanted a job that I would be helping people. I know that carries over to a lot of things in my life, and here too especially. One of my goals from the very beginning of joining RWI several years ago was to help people not get scammed like I did. I've never made tons of money. But When I was teaching I was comfortable. But still had to save up to buy watches.

I remember before finding RWI I wanted a datejust. Found this site "Blueflakes" I don't know if you remember them, but they had a great website. So professonal loolking. and I found the datejust I was looking for. I couldn't believe how good that watch looked in the pictures. I knew what gens looked like. I was very familiar with them, but never once thought that the pictures on that site could have been gens. It just never crossed my mind. Im a very trusting person. Too trusting for sure. So I just believed that the pictures shown were of the reps. but they werne't. They were just pics of genuine watches. I paid $600 for my first purchase online. and what I receieved was just a terrible excuse for a watch. I remember the second day I sliced my wrist from the bracelet because it was so sharp. The bracelet was so thin and sounded like a bad orchestra of cymbals and bells playing when I just moved my wrist. That bracelet was so loud. But the watch was terrible. One of those with the angled rehaut and not laser etched but the rehaut was just printed on ROLEXROLEXROLEX with ink. ANd the watch stopped working within a week. Called and emailed them and never got a response back. I gave up on buying reps online because I had just lost that 600 dollars that took me several months to save up.

then somehow I stumbled on RWI and started reading. and talking to TXrob and Sumikito, and Boss and others. and soon realizing that most of those guys had been ripped off before they found this site like I was. I felt comfortable and accepted right away. I'm sure I asked some newbie questions but everyone was great, except for a couple smart alecs. lol. But I kept saving agiain and then ordered from my first TD. and have never worried about being scammed again.

So I don't mind taking the time to help someone out because people did that for me when I was a noob.

I agree with everything CMaster said. That's very good advice. I avoid all of those sites he mentioned. I don't buy cheapies anymore, but if I did I would buy a cheap one from one of our dealers. My outlook on it is the same as his. If I can't afford the better quality rep with a high beat movement that is just a more accurate watch all around, then I'll wait a couple more months until I do have that money to buy it. If you figure it's only between 2 and 400 dollars more to buy that better quality watch. and even if you do wear it for a week or two or a month and find that you don't like it you can sell it in M2M and recoup a lot of your money. anyway, thats my take on it. But good luck with everything. and thanks C Master. Have a great day Guys. George

Reactions: C Master and efajri

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
I can gladly clarify this.

The WeChat guys are generally dearer than on DHGate and yes only buy from DHGate sellers who have reviews and good feedback. If you are buying on DHGate ask for a photo of the actual watch. If they do not provide it or send you a photo of a genuine watch, do not buy from them.

RWI is the biggest Rep forum and well known now. So we get targeted by the WeCHat dealers who try to sneak in here and advertise in public or try to sell via PM. We catch them and boot them.

M2M here is generally safe. We do more than any other forum to protect our members. Scammers are rare but we try to help if a member is scammed. There are good bargains in there if you know what to look for and know your prices. Do not buy until a member of staff has approved the sale. Also the first rule of buying is "Do not buy the watch, buy the seller". If something does not feel right walk away. We used to have a feedback system but it was disabled when we moved to a new platform. It is still being worked on.

Thanks again for the detailed response. I understand. Bless you.

Reactions: C Master

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Oh and ploni1 be warned this is a very addictive hobby lol. Do not say I did not warn you :)

Lol i'm already addicted. To think that until a month ago I did not like watches at all, and now that I have ordered the first (which did not even come out to me) and I already long to invite the next in line.

Reactions: C Master

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Lol i'm already addicted. To think that until a month ago I did not like watches at all, and now that I have ordered the first (which did not even come out to me) and I already long to invite the next in line.

That is how I started :)

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Thank you C Master. I was an art teacher for kindergarten through 12th grade for 11 years. I chose that profession because I wanted a job that I would be helping people. I know that carries over to a lot of things in my life, and here too especially. One of my goals from the very beginning of joining RWI several years ago was to help people not get scammed like I did. I've never made tons of money. But When I was teaching I was comfortable. But still had to save up to buy watches.

I remember before finding RWI I wanted a datejust. Found this site "Blueflakes" I don't know if you remember them, but they had a great website. So professonal loolking. and I found the datejust I was looking for. I couldn't believe how good that watch looked in the pictures. I knew what gens looked like. I was very familiar with them, but never once thought that the pictures on that site could have been gens. It just never crossed my mind. Im a very trusting person. Too trusting for sure. So I just believed that the pictures shown were of the reps. but they werne't. They were just pics of genuine watches. I paid $600 for my first purchase online. and what I receieved was just a terrible excuse for a watch. I remember the second day I sliced my wrist from the bracelet because it was so sharp. The bracelet was so thin and sounded like a bad orchestra of cymbals and bells playing when I just moved my wrist. That bracelet was so loud. But the watch was terrible. One of those with the angled rehaut and not laser etched but the rehaut was just printed on ROLEXROLEXROLEX with ink. ANd the watch stopped working within a week. Called and emailed them and never got a response back. I gave up on buying reps online because I had just lost that 600 dollars that took me several months to save up.

then somehow I stumbled on RWI and started reading. and talking to TXrob and Sumikito, and Boss and others. and soon realizing that most of those guys had been ripped off before they found this site like I was. I felt comfortable and accepted right away. I'm sure I asked some newbie questions but everyone was great, except for a couple smart alecs. lol. But I kept saving agiain and then ordered from my first TD. and have never worried about being scammed again.

So I don't mind taking the time to help someone out because people did that for me when I was a noob.

I agree with everything CMaster said. That's very good advice. I avoid all of those sites he mentioned. I don't buy cheapies anymore, but if I did I would buy a cheap one from one of our dealers. My outlook on it is the same as his. If I can't afford the better quality rep with a high beat movement that is just a more accurate watch all around, then I'll wait a couple more months until I do have that money to buy it. If you figure it's only between 2 and 400 dollars more to buy that better quality watch. and even if you do wear it for a week or two or a month and find that you don't like it you can sell it in M2M and recoup a lot of your money. anyway, thats my take on it. But good luck with everything. and thanks C Master. Have a great day Guys. George

Great to see you back George :)

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19

Well done, God bless you and return you favors. Know that your advice and others really save people here. I read about a lot of longtime scam companies Today, thanks to the site and the information and recommendations of the members here, people really do not fall, this is an existing fact and the right is yours.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I have to say that this thread is an example on how to start with this hobby when you have questions and already did some reading, but still a bit confused.

You started good here ! I hope you'll stay with us and enjoy the forum !

Reactions: DD60 and ploni1

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
I have to say that this thread is an example on how to start with this hobby when you have questions and already did some reading, but still a bit confused.

You started good here ! I hope you'll stay with us and enjoy the forum !

Thanks for the kind words

Blakevalenta

Horology Curious
28/3/19
I know I'm late to the discussion, but when properly maintained an expensive rep with a good movement is similar to something like a midrange seiko with luxury branding. No one can deny the quality that a midrange seiko has. If you removed the logo and branding, most of the population couldn't tell the difference between it and a $1000+ watch. But a low end rep will fell like it. Lose parts, things not aligned properly, subpar materials, etc. I've had both, and I can tell you that you're way better off spending the extra $200

RamTab

14/7/19
Congratulations on your purchase. Don't forget to post pics when you get your watch.

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
I know I'm late to the discussion, but when properly maintained an expensive rep with a good movement is similar to something like a midrange seiko with luxury branding. No one can deny the quality that a midrange seiko has. If you removed the logo and branding, most of the population couldn't tell the difference between it and a $1000+ watch. But a low end rep will fell like it. Lose parts, things not aligned properly, subpar materials, etc. I've had both, and I can tell you that you're way better off spending the extra $200

Thank you for the response. It's definitely helpful to hear more opinions

alixpressreviews

Looking Around
28/10/19
not sure it this will help but U can check out this link (it contains a small guide regarding watches at 300$):

Last edited by a moderator: