• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Water resistance?

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Water resistance

Friends - Doesn't it bother you to buy a $ 300 watch that has no water resistance?
What interests me about such a price level is not to get water resistance (sea, pool, hot shower), I suppose you can buy a watch without a strong brand at 100 that will be more waterproof, so why the Chinese do not give us a proper price at $ 300. It's a bit unpleasant to come up with a $ 10000 watch and drop it off at the pool entrance. Is basically all the price you pay for a replica is for the development of the watch? Like a drug that most of the amount goes to cover development spending?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
WR is not dependant on price, and vice versa. WR is a functionality - useful in dive watches, fairly uninteresting in dress watches.

There are cheap watches with high levels of WR, there are very expensive watches with only the minimum of WR.

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
I realised. It is new to me that there are luxury watches that are not water resistant

I still think it sucks to pay a cheap price on a watch and I have to worry about getting in the shower or pool. I'm not talking about diving, but a pool or sea at minimum altitude.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I realised. It is new to me that there are luxury watches that are not water resistant

I still think it sucks to pay a cheap price on a watch and I have to worry about getting in the shower or pool. I'm not talking about diving, but a pool or sea at minimum altitude.

I'm having lunch with the Director and CFO of Patek Philippe tomorrow - I'll let them know your thoughts.

Looks like they going to need to re-think that Grand Complications model - they're gonna be pissed. [h=1][/h]

Adrenix

5/12/18
I guess it depends what you're used to. I have worn a divers watch every day for the last 15 years and take it off maybe once or twice a month, at best.

I bought a dress watch and immediately took it into a boiling hot shower without even thinking twice. Fortunately seems to have dried out without ill effect, but did steam up inside until I left it in the airing cupboard.

Reactions: ploni1

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
I understand. The truth is I'm not used to the clock at all. I'm talking from inexperience - I just thought it was awkward to come up with a $ 3000 or more image and take the clock off at a small pool entrance. These are just my thoughts, probably I'm wrong. Apparently this is not really an important parameter.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of threads about waterproofing and reps. The advice is always the same: get it tested. It is relatively cheap/easy to test a watch to make sure it isn't going to leak. If you don't test it and it leaks there is no question that some movement parts will rust & the watch will stop running within a few days & you are going to have a costly fix on your hands.

I have tested many reps and most current reps pass however there is the occasional one that does not. 10 yrs ago almost no rep would pass a waterproofing test straight out if the box. The better reps have recently gotten so much better in every way. If you are new to this hobby consider yourself lucky to be starting when you are. Having a watch waterproof tested is a very small thing. Don't sweat the small stuff!

Reactions: ploni1

ploni1

Known Member
11/10/19
Thank you for the response.

I'm not sure about the test (using the Google dictionary and translation isn't always clear). How do I actually check the clock? Once it gets in the water and if there is no water inlet then is it okay and if there is an entry then lose it and put it in the water? How to check for water? Should I break it down or just see water in the front glass?