Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

How much have you guys spent on reps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How much have you guys spent on reps?

    I was looking for this thread but could only dig up ones from 2015 and felt I shouldn't necro those. I'm relatively new to the community, about 2-3 months in, but I've been lurking since fall of last year when I was considering buying a gen Pelagos and discovered this world. Bought my first rep 2 months ago and now I'm 3 reps in + 1 DHGate cheapie and already spent about $1,400 so far which was totally not what I meant to do when I first started lol. I never even ended up getting a Pelagos! I wanted to see how much some of the veterans here have spent so I can mentally justify getting more in the future...just dodged getting a JFv9.5 AP Diver because my wrists are only 6.25 inches but I feel like I'm falling in love with a new watch every few weeks now.

    #2
    In the gen world, you limit yourself to what the brands command in price - which makes it easier to know what price ball park you will be in.

    The rep world is different and has evolved.

    Many years back, reps were cheaper on aggregate but equally, there weren't many good out-of-the-box (OOTB) reps either. So you would find yourself buying a cheapish rep, but then modding it to a satisfactory level. 250-to 450 USD was quite the good range per piece. Many would average probs 4-5 in rotation.

    These days, solid OOTB reps can cost >1000 USD in one go. Or you get very good reps and mod it with genuine after market parts. Prices have skyrocketed immensely. I think there are more people now owning 2-3 reps than before, simply because they put most of their funds into franken super reps. But you can still get amazing cheaper super reps which can amount to 6-8 in your watch box.

    Just some 2c

    Comment


      #3
      yup, and in the watch game, 1400 you can buy a low budget gen like C.Ward chrono, but on the other hand you have 3 great reps

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Lobster2010 View Post
        In the gen world, you limit yourself to what the brands command in price - which makes it easier to know what price ball park you will be in.

        The rep world is different and has evolved.

        Many years back, reps were cheaper on aggregate but equally, there weren't many good out-of-the-box (OOTB) reps either. So you would find yourself buying a cheapish rep, but then modding it to a satisfactory level. 250-to 450 USD was quite the good range per piece. Many would average probs 4-5 in rotation.

        These days, solid OOTB reps can cost >1000 USD in one go. Or you get very good reps and mod it with genuine after market parts. Prices have skyrocketed immensely. I think there are more people now owning 2-3 reps than before, simply because they put most of their funds into franken super reps. But you can still get amazing cheaper super reps which can amount to 6-8 in your watch box.

        Just some 2c
        Never seen such a rep at the price, where is that? And do they have genuine dials etc?

        Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Palace View Post
          Never seen such a rep at the price, where is that? And do they have genuine dials etc?

          Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
          something like this for example
          https://www.intime04.co/rollie/5412-...et-sa4130.html
          once you get that serviced with some small mods - easily 1000

          Comment


            #6
            Since I joined RWI 2 months ago, I already spent a lot. =D 3,513 USD to be exact .....tsk3.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by BEAniev1! View Post
              Since I joined RWI 2 months ago, I already spent a lot. =D 3,513 USD to be exact .....tsk3.
              Don't worry it gets worse lol.

              I just gave up counting, I used to try to stick to a budget of around $500 a month but that went out the window a long time ago. I am not as bad as I used to be but still pretty bad sometimes It can be quite addictive.

              Do. Or do not. There is no try.
              There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
              ? Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by BEAniev1! View Post
                Since I joined RWI 2 months ago, I already spent a lot. =D 3,513 USD to be exact .....tsk3.
                Spent about 3500$ since i joined in december. When you are new, you tend to buy everything and anything just to test and have fun. Now that i have a bit more knowledge, i also know how to identify my needs better.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Pdatoon View Post

                  Spent about 3500$ since i joined in december. When you are new, you tend to buy everything and anything just to test and have fun. Now that i have a bit more knowledge, i also know how to identify my needs better.
                  Yep. Buy it all, refine your tastes, then consolidate and franken

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Once you add that word, franken, then the investments in the habit (hobby) really starts climbing exponentially. when you start getting into obscure and hard to source genuine parts the prices can really skyrocket.
                    My wish list: gen components...
                    Breitling Datora Montibrilliant dial, older style

                    Breitling B13 date wheel


                    Panerai OP VIII movement



                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by majwilliams0308 View Post

                      Yep. Buy it all, refine your tastes, then consolidate and franken
                      You got it bro

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have spent WAY too much over the years. That's why I've been staying away for a while. When I'm here I always ending spending more money lol

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Well surely over 10k
                          A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure !

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Keylog74 View Post
                            Well surely over 10k
                            Same hehe

                            reduced the collection drastically down to 4 reps at the moment...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I have spent thousands on reps, and I often wondered if money was not better spent on gens.
                              Hmm... I probably should stop browsing at InTime and PureTime.
                              Like many others, I am seeking a decent TC16610

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X