• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Damaged Movement

KS Watches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/17
Hey all,
been a while since I've posted here, after spending quite some time reading here picked up my first rep (sa3135 noob v7) over a year ago thanks to all your information.
After enjoying it sadly my watch started acting weird, somehow it runs fine but when I start to rotate it it stops. For example let's say I'm holding it with 12 pointing towards the sky and 6 to the ground. Once I rotate it counter clockwise so 12 pointing left and 6 pointing right it stops working. It's almost like it gets stuck and freezes. Funny enough I rotate back to its original position it runs again. I've wound it and had it run over a few hours in a fixed position, and it works fine. Biggest issue is walking around in public, moving my hands around makes it freezes and I have to give it a shake and voila, starts running again.

I've contacted the TD I originally bought it from and asked him if he could help. He said I can send it back and he'll help with repairs. Honestly didn't know who to go to since I'm situated in the Middle East currently. Not familiar with shipping to the west and afraid of customs.

Sorry for the block of text any help is appreciated.

Sent from the RWI App

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
Complete newbie here so take this with a big bag of salt.

I just received my first rep with same symptoms as yours right from the start. It’s a completely different movement though, a ST19.

I opened it up and removed movement from case and when I put it to my ear I could hear the balance wheel just touching (giving a slight ping) another wheel but only when held at certain angles. I could rotate it around and hear no ping, ping etc. sometimes enough of a ping to stop it.

On the ST19 you can access the (?bridge) piece which goes to the balance wheel just by opening the back of case, you don’t have to remove movement. I unscrewed this bridge piece and reseated it as best I could and screwed it back down. Voila, no ping at any rotation point. It’s been running more than 24 hours without stopping now (before it stopped every time I rotated my wrist to read the time) and has gained 3 seconds in 24 hours.

I don’t know how much this relates to your problem. As I said, newbie. But open the back and hold it up to your ear and rotate it in the way it usually stops and find out if it’s the balance wheel just touching something at a certain angle, and if so have a look how easy it is to access the piece holding it and try what I did.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
SA3135 is a crapshoot. You can swap out the movement for a sh3135, send it to a forum watchsmith to see if it's repairable (unlikely) or get a new one. As said, get the ETA clone one and when it craps out drop a ETA in it. This is my normal procedure these days.

Reactions: sn95

Vacco

22/5/19
SA3135 is a crapshoot. You can swap out the movement for a sh3135, send it to a forum watchsmith to see if it's repairable (unlikely) or get a new one. As said, get the ETA clone one and when it craps out drop a ETA in it. This is my normal procedure these days.

Is the SH3135 reliable? The crown/hands movement is the same as gen right

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Not really. The advantage is that can buy replacement movements or the existing one can be repaired with genuine Rolex parts as a majority of the movement is compatible with Genuine.

KS Watches

6/8/17

If I'm not mistaken the SH3135 is also referred to as the yucky. Problem is with this solution between the shipping, repair and cost of the movement would be a hefty price. I'm kind of looking for a cheap fix might as well just buy a new one if I'll go the SH route.

Sent from the RWI App

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
If I'm not mistaken the SH3135 is also referred to as the yucky. Problem is with this solution between the shipping, repair and cost of the movement would be a hefty price. I'm kind of looking for a cheap fix might as well just buy a new one if I'll go the SH route.

Sent from the RWI App

Yes SH = Yuki. As to if it's worth replacement vs sell it for parts and buy a new replacement, that is a call you need to make. No plans to franken then I'd suggest sell it for parts and buy the ETA based one.

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
In my experience if it's a completely stock watch just sell it for parts/as is and buy an eta clone movement watch. Yuki is good for frankens as you could fit gen hands,dial, and datewheel. Eta clones are cheap and easy to come by.

KS Watches

6/8/17
No intentions to franken or dump too much money into it. It's my holiday beater or if I feel I'm going someplace sketchy. Rather leave my gens at home and be worry free. Guess it was mistake not getting the 28xx, despite all the warning on the sa3135.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

KS Watches

6/8/17
Yes SH = Yuki. As to if it's worth replacement vs sell it for parts and buy a new replacement, that is a call you need to make. No plans to franken then I'd suggest sell it for parts and buy the ETA based one.

Thank you for all the help, before I pull the trigger I wanted to ask you a few more questions. I'm on the fence between the arf sh3135 and 2824. If I buy the watch from pure time and get it serviced would they both have the same reliability. Also do they both set date and time like gen?

Sent from the RWI App

KS Watches

6/8/17
In my experience if it's a completely stock watch just sell it for parts/as is and buy an eta clone movement watch. Yuki is good for frankens as you could fit gen hands,dial, and datewheel. Eta clones are cheap and easy to come by.

It looks like I might sell it, I don't have the expertise to break it down and sell it for parts. How much do you reckon it would fetch if I could sell it whole. Its slightly scratched from general use, no abuse to it. The movement still runs along with date setting and hours and the rest but it just pauses at a certain angle. I can wind it set everything and it would run.

Sent from the RWI App

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
For parts depending on condition, $150-200 ish. Get the 2824, not worth paying for it to be serviced, and if the movement fails just buy a new ETA 2824 and have it installed. The time setting will be opposite of a 3135, but it's moot because there's other tells before someone gets to checking the time setting. the 2824 will be overall more reliable than the sh3135.

KS Watches

6/8/17
For parts depending on condition, $150-200 ish. Get the 2824, not worth paying for it to be serviced, and if the movement fails just buy a new ETA 2824 and have it installed. The time setting will be opposite of a 3135, but it's moot because there's other tells before someone gets to checking the time setting. the 2824 will be overall more reliable than the sh3135.

The first time I bought a rep I didn’t go about it the right way. SA3135 without a service was a bad idea. Tbh I’m expecting a minimum of 5 years on this next rep especially with how I baby them. At this point my only option is from td to me, anything else is too much of a hassle. You mentioned above a 2824 overall is more reliable. If I were to service them both before arrival which one would get more years in and how would the time accuracy be.
Sorry for being a bit of a nuisance you’ve been great help to me, thank you.

Sent from the RWI App

KS Watches

6/8/17
Setting the time in reverse is bugging me more than it should

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

hm11esh

4/9/18
The first time I bought a rep I didn’t go about it the right way. SA3135 without a service was a bad idea. Tbh I’m expecting a minimum of 5 years on this next rep especially with how I baby them. At this point my only option is from td to me, anything else is too much of a hassle. You mentioned above a 2824 overall is more reliable. If I were to service them both before arrival which one would get more years in and how would the time accuracy be.
Sorry for being a bit of a nuisance you’ve been great help to me, thank you.

Sent from the RWI App

I wouldn't bother servicing the 2836 until it stops working or not keeping time properly. To swap the 2836 movement for another one would be cost effective than a service.

I have a submariner with 2836 and have had no issues

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
How many times do you actually set your watch? Where are you located? For the cost of a movement service, you can buy a new ETA 2824 which will be more reliable than the clone. I don't know how much puretime charges for a movement service, but a new ETA 2824 can be bought for about $180 and watchsmith costs run around $50 to install and regulate. You'll then have a watch which has a good chance to still be running well for a decade if not longer.

KS Watches

6/8/17
How many times do you actually set your watch? Where are you located? For the cost of a movement service, you can buy a new ETA 2824 which will be more reliable than the clone. I don't know how much puretime charges for a movement service, but a new ETA 2824 can be bought for about $180 and watchsmith costs run around $50 to install and regulate. You'll then have a watch which has a good chance to still be running well for a decade if not longer.

I’m currently situated in the Middle East, so anything after getting the watch shipped to me is a headache. My main goal is to have the watch last as long as possible from the moment it arrives, so pretty much the best it can come from a TD. So be it the sh or 28xx, reliability is my first priority. As for the how many times I set it, probably a few times a week 2-3 times since its not a daily.

Sent from the RWI App

KS Watches

6/8/17
I wouldn't bother servicing the 2836 until it stops working or not keeping time properly. To swap the 2836 movement for another one would be cost effective than a service.

I have a submariner with 2836 and have had no issues

How much can a service run from a TD? the main issue with my situation is shipping it out and having the movement replaced, hence why I’ll be dumping my previous rep for whatever it fetches. If a service guarantees a couple good years of time keeping and reliability them I’ll for it.

Sent from the RWI App