• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What happens to rejected watches?

xray7

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
Old Dart
I imagine that the guy who sells to the TD who is agitating their connection to the factory is going to end up with a problem not dissimilar to a Rolex AD or a diamond merchant buying packages from DeBeers- a need to offload product one way or the other. Some industries call them jobbers, to gen Rolex adherants they're grey market sellers. Either way the connect needs paying.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
They are annoying, but if a person does reject a watch QC (for whatever reason) and the TD thinks its okay to sell on then I guess he/she will just use that watch when someone else orders it (on assumption its a popular model).

My fear is that a TD that has a good relationship with the factory will get the good stock, whilst rejected QC items etc that goes back to the factory will then be sold on again to say another TD, which doesn't have as good a relationship, hence why choosing the right TD is also important?

Im totally guessing/assuming would be great if someone could weigh in. I don't think the factory would do anything with a rejected model (as long as it worked) other than sell it on for full price to whomever...

Thanks!

I believe that how it goes.
The rejects go to TDs that don’t have good relationship with the factory then if these TDs reject the goods again, those rejects go to DHGate or Ali sellers. They will sell those rejects as AAA quality. DHGate and Ali buyers don’t get to see QC. They pay and they receive; like Amazon.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Reactions: vcappp

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Interesting speculations so far. But only the makers and possibly some TDs know and they're not telling.

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
I believe that how it goes.
The rejects go to TDs that don’t have good relationship with the factory then if these TDs reject the goods again, those rejects go to DHGate or Ali sellers. They will sell those rejects as AAA quality. DHGate and Ali buyers don’t get to see QC. They pay and they receive; like Amazon.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

If this is true, this is no good news. buying from TD does not guarantee the quality. then we as buyers need to rank/know which TD has how good relationship with which factory, if you want to buy A xxx watch then need to buy from TD yyy then on and on for a different model .... ughhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
It's the same with fake sneakers - people expect perfection in FAKE items, so the rejects get sent back and resold somewhere else. The biggest headache/loss for replica dealers and manufacturers is the the watches sent back unable to be sold.

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
According to my dictionary:
Replica: "an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale."
Fake: "a thing that is not genuine; a forgery or sham"
The main difference is that replica is an exact copy while fake is a copy but not necessary exact.
So what are we buying replica watches? Fake watches?
Maybe the site should be FWI? :)

My point is, that those "factories" are over-promising in their ads / descriptions and this leads to rejections of watches, not the other way around.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Some send them back
Some try and flog them the next guy
I tried an experiment with a mate on one TD here and one over the road
We were offered, unequivocally, the same watch after rejection.

And why not? Everyone's tolerance is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meath

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/18
Ireland
When you see "special offers" on a TD site, would these watches make it there?

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
According to my dictionary:
Replica: "an exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale."
Fake: "a thing that is not genuine; a forgery or sham"
The main difference is that replica is an exact copy while fake is a copy but not necessary exact.
So what are we buying replica watches? Fake watches?
Maybe the site should be FWI? :)

My point is, that those "factories" are over-promising in their ads / descriptions and this leads to rejections of watches, not the other way around.

I’ll help you out - they’re fake. Just no one likes the word as its derogatory.

What do you want? A tighter, more regulated industry for fake goods? Why not report the TD’s to an advertising standards watchdog...

smh.

Reactions: Meath

JMS2016

Only Sloths
Patron
Certified
24/2/16
Lol too many people expecting perfection for their fake items.
If you want visual perfection buy the real thing. If you want something that’s passable by all means reject Qc until you find what you want. But it won’t be perfect. That’s why people start Franken projects or get things modded. It’s all for the love of the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: JOP

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
I’ll help you out - they’re fake. Just no one likes the word as its derogatory.

What do you want? A tighter, more regulated industry for fake goods? Why not report the TD’s to an advertising standards watchdog...

smh.

LOL, not at all. Just saying that they over-promising and this creates an "expectation gap" for some people and that what leads to this rejection game.
In the last 2 years, the rep prices increased and i think it will lead to more competition and quality is a competitive advantage. so I believe that in a few years we will see fewer rejections.

Reactions: gilrob and vcappp

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I thought all the QC rejects go to Josh at perfect clones so he can pass it off to newbies :hehehe:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
As far as I know, the process is:

1. Customer orders a watch
2. The TD orders that watch from the manufacturer.
3. The TD collects it and performs a first inspection to see if the watch has glaring flaws (marker fell, hands stop/misaligned, etc.). Here's where your choice of TD matters as some of them are very strict (Lucy?) and others will accept any stuff (see my previous joke about Josh, who is no longer a TD here).
4. The TD takes some good photos and the customer performs a final check. Remember, this is just a final check, not the moment to look into minor stuff (that's where your friendly local watchsmith comes in). Again here the TD matters, in my experience some TDs are very good at taking "honest" Hi-res QC pics where you can see all the details that matter, while others are experts in taking them from weird angles, low resolution and a bit cooked so they hide any potential flaw.
5. If you reject the watch, it all goes back to number 2. Rinse and repeat until you accept or the TD gives up and refunds you (and puts you in a blacklist that will be shared among TDs, so good luck getting good watches from there on).

​​​​

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Lol too many people expecting perfection for their fake items.
If you want visual perfection buy the real thing. If you want something that’s passable by all means reject Qc until you find what you want. But it won’t be perfect. That’s why people start Franken projects or get things modded. It’s all for the love of the hobby.

Guys, please understand, replica or fake watches are not a social shortcut to fool others, it's a tool for those that love watches!
You think that you have every right to demand perfection on illegally copied goods, when the most pricey service we avoid is quality control.

I wonder what a good watch smith will hear when announce you that your fine CLONE movement has the same service cost with the gen one...

Please be skeptical, avoid egoism and personal admissions, enjoy watches AND watchmaking...