• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best movment for a replica watch?

Endrit127

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/10/16
As the title states, is there any particular movement that I can buy that is considered the best?(replica)
When I say the best I'm actually referring to the "smoothest".
This may sound like a dumb question but I'm really curious.

Thanks in advance

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I haven't bought any replicas for awhile, except the two that I just ordered and haven't received yet, but they used to offer Swiss made ETAs in many of them. It doesn't look like I'm seeing many anymore, but I am seeing Asian ETA clones.
SWATCH group tightened up their distribution and cut off many channels several years ago. I am a watchmaker, but I don't have much experience with the Asian clones. The real 28xx series ETA movements are extremely reliable, and even in standard grade are capable of a bit more accuracy than they are spec'd for. You'll find real ETA movements as an ebauche, or even as produced in many if not most genuine Swiss watches. Some brands still produce their own movements in-house. (Rolex for example)

If the clone movements are produced and finished well, and are straight clones (and I don't know that they are) they should be very acceptable. When you say "smooth" I'm not sure what you mean, but the higher beat movements have more steps between seconds, and thus will appear "smoother" to the eye when watching the second hand move. If the movement in your replica is 28,800 BPH (beats per hour), and the movement in the genuine watch is the same rate, the hands on the replica movement will appear to move identically to the genuine watch.

Make sense?

Endrit127

8/10/16
Yes, it does. A very detailed reply I must say, although I'm wondering if there is any movement in a replica that has a higher BPH than 28,800?

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
A2824, A2836 or A7750 are very reliable...have some for 12 years now, even with 21J's...still running strong

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Depending on the kind of watch....A7750 for chronos...A6497 for manual wind watches, A2836 for dates....but have been out of the game for a few years, been back since a few months....so maybe stakes have changed

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yes, it does. A very detailed reply I must say, although I'm wondering if there is any movement in a replica that has a higher BPH than 28,800?

Why? Very very few gens run any higher beat rate than that.

Reactions: Endrit127

Endrit127

8/10/16
Does anyone know which is more reliable between A2824-2 and 9015?

Endrit127

8/10/16
Haha tbh is didn't know that ???? trailboss99
I thought that the bph determined how smooth a watch was ticking.

JOP

Renowned Member
30/1/17
Please enlight us more. You seem to learn about movements and try choose one the same time.
What watch you interested to power with it? What kind of use you have in mind for that watch?
Are you asking before or after a proper service by a watch smith?

there are a lot of parameters that will affect your final choise, be clear to save time and money

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Does anyone know which is more reliable between A2824-2 and 9015?

A2824-2 is an asian clone of a swiss movement while the 9015 is supposedly a gen Miyota movement, not a clone

Endrit127

8/10/16
Please enlight us more. You seem to learn about movements and try choose one the same time.
What watch you interested to power with it? What kind of use you have in mind for that watch?
Are you asking before or after a proper service by a watch smith?

there are a lot of parameters that will affect your final choise, be clear to save time and money

I'm considering buying the Omega 300m v2 mkf, it comes with an a2824-2 movement. I'll be using it daily, that's why I'm curious on knowing which one is the best. That way I can pick a reliable watch that needs less service. I live in Sweden and unfortunately, I haven't found any good watch smith here (overpriced and unknowing). No way they know how to service these movements :p

noobwatch76

I am serious. And don’t call me Shirley
Patron
Certified
6/7/16
Texas
So the 6497 and or an ETA 2824 or 2836. ETA 2892s are beautiful.
That is according to KATT when I asked him the same question while he was working on a couple of mine. Seeing as he is a horologist and works on all these different movements i figured he’d know a thing or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
As the title states, is there any particular movement that I can buy that is considered the best?(replica)
When I say the best I'm actually referring to the "smoothest".
This may sound like a dumb question but I'm really curious.

Thanks in advance

Most of what has been stated is right on, but I am curious as to why you ask? I mean I think this is relative to the watch, you know what I mean?

Obviously a 21J and a clone or ETA 2836 are way different, but have their places in the hierarchy. When it comes to movements, I truly believe you have to have the watch in mind first. I mean the difference between autos, manual winds, and those with chronograph functions very greatly. I wouldn't want a high end movement in my cheap-o rep beater sub necessarily, but I also don't want a 21J in my Franken Sub-C.

So with that said my answer is this, if you want a workhorse in a standard watch with no complications except for maybe a date function, then the ETA and clone 2836 and 2824-2 movements are great and so are the Japanese Miyota movements. The clone and ETA movements are typically high beat and very reliable. And to what TB said, high beat 28800 is the majority of the watch world in terms of high beat movements, so no real need to get something with a higher beat. As for the Miyota movements, they get a bad name because of the rotor noise, but this can be dealt with by oiling the proper parts within the movement. You will find that most all movements (especially in reps) could greatly benefit from a proper service. When it comes to reliability and "smooth" running, servicing the movements might be the most important part of this equation.

If you are looking for chronograph functions, the 7750 (when properly serviced) is a workhorse and gives you auto wind. For manual wind in a chrono the ST-19 seems to be the movement of choice for reliability.

Hope this helps. I am by no means an expert on this, but with the information RWI provides, I have learned a great deal and look to learn even more.

Endrit127

8/10/16
Most of what has been stated is right on, but I am curious as to why you ask? I mean I think this is relative to the watch, you know what I mean?

Obviously a 21J and a clone or ETA 2836 are way different, but have their places in the hierarchy. When it comes to movements, I truly believe you have to have the watch in mind first. I mean the difference between autos, manual winds, and those with chronograph functions very greatly. I wouldn't want a high end movement in my cheap-o rep beater sub necessarily, but I also don't want a 21J in my Franken Sub-C.

So with that said my answer is this, if you want a workhorse in a standard watch with no complications except for maybe a date function, then the ETA and clone 2836 and 2824-2 movements are great and so are the Japanese Miyota movements. The clone and ETA movements are typically high beat and very reliable. And to what TB said, high beat 28800 is the majority of the watch world in terms of high beat movements, so no real need to get something with a higher beat. As for the Miyota movements, they get a bad name because of the rotor noise, but this can be dealt with by oiling the proper parts within the movement. You will find that most all movements (especially in reps) could greatly benefit from a proper service. When it comes to reliability and "smooth" running, servicing the movements might be the most important part of this equation.

If you are looking for chronograph functions, the 7750 (when properly serviced) is a workhorse and gives you auto wind. For manual wind in a chrono the ST-19 seems to be the movement of choice for reliability.

Hope this helps. I am by no means an expert on this, but with the information RWI provides, I have learned a great deal and look to learn even more.

This is golden thank you very much (Y)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Haha tbh is didn't know that ???? trailboss99
I thought that the bph determined how smooth a watch was ticking.

It does and the average gen tics at 28,800 which is 8 beats (or "tics") per second. Older models are slower usually 18,600 which is 6 beats per second so even a 28,800 in say a 1680 is a tell as the seconds hand appears too smooth. Some movements such as the El Primero beat at 36000 BPH or 10 beats per second but they are the exception not the rule.