• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Discussion / practical information about reps after purchasing.

Gbamaple

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/4/18
Apologies as I am not familiar with second hand dealing or the culture here around the watch rep world. But there’s a few things that I noticed and I hope the seniors here would enlighten me on this .

1. Based on information that I have obtain lurking around the forum for few weeks, the estimation age for each rep with auto movement last around 5~ years before it requires its service to fix its movement. Is there any information or stuff that we would need to know concerning the condition of our watch once it has been a few years ?

2. The resell value here for second/ third hand reps are extremely high. Seen lots of unmodified reps selling at 70~80% and even 90% ( for older rep watch) . What’s the reasoning behind this? As far as I know these watch have been stated to been through 2-3 years of usage , how do you guys handle the hassle of going through maintenance of an old rep watch? And as for vintage reps is it merely for the purpose of collection?

3. If I am not a watch expert ( doesn’t have any knowledge of fixing watch like most of the Frankenstein’s expert / watch savvy here) , is it feasible / most practical for me to use a new rep watch that I bought for 2 years , resell it and buy a new one if I have no intention of being an avid collector / to repair my watch ?

4. this is a more practical point, how do you guys handle people who are curious that are interested in your watch when they ask/beg/plead for your watch for them to inspect ? Under such circumstances be it if they are your close friends or the occasion at that time does not allow such rejection to be possible , what’s the safest part of a watch to be look upon at by them or what excuse we could possibly think of to reject their request ? Aside from what I mention ( what’s the most practical points and tips from the seniors here) to cover up our rep watch from being exposed ?

Thank you so much everyone, what I have raised that are in doubt are much more on the practical side that have been rarely mentioned across the forum, hope someone could shed some light on me . :)

Still awaiting for my new 42mm crpo PO omega as my first rep. Thank you everyone and have a nice day ahead !

Sent from the RWI App

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
1. your watch will tell you when it needs a service - by losing / gaining time, or not working at all. if it 'aint broke - don't fix it. a service costs from $100-150 - over 5 years thats chump change.

2. watches can be flipped at any age at any time. - 70% of full price is still a saving of $100.

3. not really - it may be 3 years old, but only worn for 2 months, or could be 2 months old and worn for 2 months - so there's a huge flaw to that way of thinking.

4. never happened to me. close friends know they're reps. why would you lie to your friends? no one else cares what watch you're wearing - they really don't.

Reactions: WatchKnob

afdaddy

Renowned Member
13/12/13
Watches are machines, machines age with friction, which for watches means running time. If you wear one watch for 5 years it will need service, if you have 10 watches and wear them equally.....well you do the math.

Price are prices, the market bears its own value.

Don't fret over the repair or wear piece, if you have enough watches, its not a materials concern

Grow a pair of nuts and say no. Or tell them its fake up front. Why is this such a big deal with people.....makes no sense.

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
hard to get in the first place (even harder now see my thread) lots of hoops to jump thru, plus the QC hassle (fake pics ordeal) lead times, shipping losses, overall its more comfortable to pass a kidney stone than to go thru the whole thing with more than 82.7% happiness rating (have realistic expectations). Modern world wide culture is for instant gratification as well then factor in the fact the piece your looking it is HERE, and the pics are 100% legit and its traveled 5k miles and been thru another level of honest member QC and tested for a few days-months your likely hood of achieving that stellar 82.7% happiness score goes up dramatically. They are not like cars, they either work great or dont.

best chance for happiness in this hobby is to just spend, spend and more spend then unload your sub 82.7% piece to other members who will cherish them.

Gbamaple

6/4/18
1. your watch will tell you when it needs a service - by losing / gaining time, or not working at all. if it 'aint broke - don't fix it. a service costs from $100-150 - over 5 years thats chump change.

2. watches can be flipped at any age at any time. - 70% of full price is still a saving of $100.

3. not really - it may be 3 years old, but only worn for 2 months, or could be 2 months old and worn for 2 months - so there's a huge flaw to that way of thinking.

4. never happened to me. close friends know they're reps. why would you lie to your friends? no one else cares what watch you're wearing - they really don't.

Thanks a lot! As I would not be wearing the rep often maybe once a week , hope it would last longer than what I expected it to be .

So for 2nd hand buyer they would normally purchase it and then service it afterwards ? Since it’s been few years of usage .

Sent from the RWI App

Gbamaple

6/4/18
hard to get in the first place (even harder now see my thread) lots of hoops to jump thru, plus the QC hassle (fake pics ordeal) lead times, shipping losses, overall its more comfortable to pass a kidney stone than to go thru the whole thing with more than 82.7% happiness rating (have realistic expectations). Modern world wide culture is for instant gratification as well then factor in the fact the piece your looking it is HERE, and the pics are 100% legit and its traveled 5k miles and been thru another level of honest member QC and tested for a few days-months your likely hood of achieving that stellar 82.7% happiness score goes up dramatically. They are not like cars, they either work great or dont.

best chance for happiness in this hobby is to just spend, spend and more spend then unload your sub 82.7% piece to other members who will cherish them.

Thanks a lot for your advice ! I guess it’s good to resell it to other members once I get bored of it within a few years provided it is still in good condition.

And the ordering hassle is indeed killing me it’s been 14 days only then I had received my tracking code , another 2 weeks for my shipment

Sent from the RWI App

Gbamaple

6/4/18
Watches are machines, machines age with friction, which for watches means running time. If you wear one watch for 5 years it will need service, if you have 10 watches and wear them equally.....well you do the math.

Price are prices, the market bears its own value.

Don't fret over the repair or wear piece, if you have enough watches, its not a materials concern

Grow a pair of nuts and say no. Or tell them its fake up front. Why is this such a big deal with people.....makes no sense.

Well just realise that even for automatic watch usage is one of the factor. Thanks!

And I do mention exceptional circumstances , so was hoping there would be some practical tips but oh well. Everyone’s turn of events are different and as for me under no condition could I be revealed that I owned a fake rep. Thanks anyway I guess I could go with NO if all else fails with some made up excuse.

Sent from the RWI App

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Only service if it's exhibiting an issue.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Mate no one will even notice your watch let alone ask to inspect it. If they do anyone rude enough to ask you remove your watch for them to look at needs some reeducation.
The best line is "This cost me $xxxxx and is a fragile piece of mechanical engineering, when you come up with the money I'll let you look."

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
+1
there are only two types of people that will ask to see it closely, never mind always asking "is that a REEELLLL ROOOLLLLLXXXXX????"

1: entirely most likely person... the drunk, rude, sh1t head at the bar or used car dealer or (insert grungy place here)
2: the diehard, "WatchSnob" who thru the impossibility of the universe is actually and genuinely looking and ready to buy your exact watch but you live in a shitty town with no dealers around so he's never seen one before.

Gbamaple

6/4/18
Mate no one will even notice your watch let alone ask to inspect it. If they do anyone rude enough to ask you remove your watch for them to look at needs some reeducation.
The best line is "This cost me $xxxxx and is a fragile piece of mechanical engineering, when you come up with the money I'll let you look."

Hahah got it thanks !

Sent from the RWI App

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Most guys here that sell watches on m2m have a bunch of watches and are just testing the waters. Many times the same watch gets passed around and around without any real wrist time. I do this. I have a box full of watches and I have a pact with myself to not buy more until I have room in the box. Honestly out of the 15 or so watches that I have at any time only a few get any wrist time.

As far as people looking at what you are wearing or asking about it. Forget about it. No one ever asks, because no one knows anything about watches and no one cares. Just wear them and enjoy for your self. If you are trying to impress anyone, then it just isn't going to work. 1st 99% have no idea what any of these watches are other than Rolex and even then, most people don't even know how much a Rolex is worth. Say you are wearing a $30k AP. Everyone is going to fall into 1 of 2 categories: Those that know how expensive the watch is and those that don't. Unless someone is into watches they will have no idea and they won't even think about it at all. They will give it no more thought than if you were wearing a $29 Timex. These people you are not really impressing are you? The other group (which is very small) that knows how expensive an AP is will either assume it is fake or real based on the rest of your lifestyle, the car you drive, house you live in etc. Once again these people are not really impressed.

I actually know someone that has an AP. I see him in a work environment and everyone else that I know that knows how expensive that watch is just assumes that it is fake, as do I. Hell, I am really into watches and I have looked at it pretty closely and I actually have no idea if it is real or not. I am not going to ask and I don't even really care that much...

Reactions: Zed116610

jennyleee

6/4/18
As a noob, I prefer m2m so I can ask about the actual watch I will get, receive it faster, and can ask follow up questions.

Gbamaple

6/4/18
+1
there are only two types of people that will ask to see it closely, never mind always asking "is that a REEELLLL ROOOLLLLLXXXXX????"

1: entirely most likely person... the drunk, rude, sh1t head at the bar or used car dealer or (insert grungy place here)
2: the diehard, "WatchSnob" who thru the impossibility of the universe is actually and genuinely looking and ready to buy your exact watch but you live in a shitty town with no dealers around so he's never seen one before.

Thank you! So true indeed .

Sent from the RWI App

Gbamaple

6/4/18
Most guys here that sell watches on m2m have a bunch of watches and are just testing the waters. Many times the same watch gets passed around and around without any real wrist time. I do this. I have a box full of watches and I have a pact with myself to not buy more until I have room in the box. Honestly out of the 15 or so watches that I have at any time only a few get any wrist time.

As far as people looking at what you are wearing or asking about it. Forget about it. No one ever asks, because no one knows anything about watches and no one cares. Just wear them and enjoy for your self. If you are trying to impress anyone, then it just isn't going to work. 1st 99% have no idea what any of these watches are other than Rolex and even then, most people don't even know how much a Rolex is worth. Say you are wearing a $30k AP. Everyone is going to fall into 1 of 2 categories: Those that know how expensive the watch is and those that don't. Unless someone is into watches they will have no idea and they won't even think about it at all. They will give it no more thought than if you were wearing a $29 Timex. These people you are not really impressing are you? The other group (which is very small) that knows how expensive an AP is will either assume it is fake or real based on the rest of your lifestyle, the car you drive, house you live in etc. Once again these people are not really impressed.

I actually know someone that has an AP. I see him in a work environment and everyone else that I know that knows how expensive that watch is just assumes that it is fake, as do I. Hell, I am really into watches and I have looked at it pretty closely and I actually have no idea if it is real or not. I am not going to ask and I don't even really care that much...

Thank you really constructive feedback indeed! Answer almost all of my concerns . If there’s a rep system / upvoting you deserved one!

I guess my rep could be sold off in good condition then as I would only wear my rep once a week/fortnight .

What you said about lifestyle determining the genuineness of Watch indeed applies to a certain extent. The reason why I’m so worried is because I live a quite high-off luxurious lifestyle but the only thing that could not justify myself in splurging money is on an expensive watch. Initially was afraid that having one rep (being exposed) would tarnish my professional lifestyle / image . Now everyone comments does appease my distress.

Thank you so much everyone :) starting to learn a lot in this forum.

Sent from the RWI App

Gbamaple

6/4/18
As a noob, I prefer m2m so I can ask about the actual watch I will get, receive it faster, and can ask follow up questions.

Aren’t you afraid of custom risk being on buyer’s side?

And the hassle of repairing the watch considering it only have 50-70% lifespan of a brand new rep watch ( noobs like us have 0 knowledge in maintenance / servicing / repairing ) .

Sent from the RWI App

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
Sorry to be so direct, but you live a "high-off luxurious lifestyle" (quote) and you are worried about the % lifespan remaining on used-chinese-cheap-knockoff watches? You even consider to use them only once a week to preserv e the movement... What the hell ;) enjoy life and don't go so crazy over these details... otherwise reps will be a big disappointment to you and I strongly advise oyu to go on gen cheaper watches instead. Customs, repairs, DOA, small and big issues... are normal.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
And the hassle of repairing the watch considering it only have 50-70% lifespan of a brand new rep watch.

You are WAY to fixated on this issue and you still don't understand what people are telling you - that isn't how watches work - a watch bought through the m2m can last as long, or longer than a brand new one.

why don't you just buy new if dropping $100 on a service is going to put a dent in your high off luxurious lifestyle?!

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
You are WAY to fixated on this issue and you still don't understand what people are telling you - that isn't how watches work - a watch bought through the m2m can last as long, or longer than a brand new one.

why don't you just buy new if dropping $100 on a service is going to put a dent in your high off luxurious lifestyle?!

Exactly my point... I never heard anyone calculating remaining lfespan on a 25$ movement... and considering all of this luxurious :crazy: