• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Who would you trust if you were investing....?

psymetry

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/06
Ok, so you want to invest your hard earned cash and you meet a financial advisor....and:

Scenario 1 - He coasts up in a Merc SLR McLaren, gets out in a Gucci suit and looks at his watch - it's a 2005 White Gold Daytona and you ask to see it. He turns his wrist and you see that the Rolex crown on the underside of the band is stuck on, rather than forged from one solid piece of metal.....you realise it is a rep.

Scenario 2 - He rolls up in a 2005 Ford Mustang, gets out in a generic suit and looks at his watch - it's a IWC Portuguese F.A. Jones and you ask to see it. ....you realise it is a gen.

Who would you invest your money with?

Cucumber_Jones

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
I would look at his job specific education (CFP, CFA, etc....). I would look at the company he/she works for. I would check to see that there is a philisophical match with you and him/her. I would ask many things. I would not check the car, suit or watch....

JCM1662

Renowned Member
6/6/06
I'll play by the rules and pick one of the 2 you posted, although neither would be my cup of tea.

#2 - i'd appreciate his honesty and commitment to the genuine product. I would assume he doesnt take short cuts and saved for the real thing...

although, I am a VERY ethical and honest "suit type" and I wear only rep's. hmmmmm, [smilie=evil5.gif] good post psymetry.

psymetry

20/6/06
Cucumber_Jones said:
I would look at his job specific education (CFP, CFA, etc....). I would look at the company he/she works for. I would check to see that there is a philisophical match with you and him/her. I would ask many things. I would not check the car, suit or watch....

Ok, so presume you have asked around and this guy has been highly recommended to you by a family friend. It's a hypothetical question. I too would do personal research...but in this scenario...who would you choose?

efnstefn

Renowned Member
3/4/06
The guy can afford the MB SLR McLaren BECAUSE he buys reps.

In the #1 scenario, you have a guy with...let's say $450,000 burning a hole in his pocket.... because he is absolutely great at his job and happens to be blessed in general. So, he could go out and buy some gen Patek's, Lange's, Glashutte's, and a couple of Daytona's and PAM's to boot. Or, he could go buy the Benzo and buy some reps with the change.

That's the cat for me, we share the same values.

Selah!

psymetry

20/6/06
I know for a fact that If I could go and buy the SLR, I wouldn't have the balls to wear a rep. It just wouldn't fit.
I'd get a nice Omega or a second hand Breitling Nav to fit somewhat with the car. I just couldn't wear a rep driving that beast.

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
I would go for the 1st one..LOL...man...if you in that car and you owned it ...no matter wat you are wearing ..people will always thing ..all the gen...

and definitely i will never give my watch for someone to see it..its just me..i dont like it ..LOL

Cucumber_Jones

I'm Pretty Popular
15/3/06
If you took all my 1st advice then I would go for the more modest of the two - number 2 that is.

jimmytim

17/3/06
At first I choose the second person. But having read the replys I do agree on some of the points so I'll stick with the first person instead.

If he has earned enough to buy a merc, he must be pretty good at what he does, or work very hard at what he does. (IMO anyway.)

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Honestly, I do my investing with people I know or through contacts. People and or companies have to have a track record to earn my business. It is strange that most of the people I deal with regarding money all seem to have nice time pieces. I like to do business with people who are sucessful and sometimes that means driving a nice car or wearing nice clothes. However these thing are not prerequisites.

Sean K

TWP

I'm Pretty Popular
7/5/06
Did anyone ever tell you, "Don't judge a book buy its cover." :)