• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Natural Aging via UV

Bregan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/3/16
Hey guys,

Like many I've been obsessed with nice faded inserts and other patina, and I appreciate the work that many have done with coffee stains, bleach and other methods.

I'm not sure if this has been asked or tried, but I'm interested in aging a watch purely through UV exposure. I have two options: the first is a UV lamp, and the other is the sun (I live in the tropics so sun is an always.. lol.)

I'm going to try this and report my findings, but does anyone know if I should take note of anything? Will it take forever? Would prolonged exposure to the sun super heat the watch and destroy the insides, or melt the gaskets?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, friends.

Bregan

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Destroy the insides ... I don't think so, but probably dry the gaskets ... plus it won't be good for the movement because of the dilatation due to an intense heat.
A better option would be to expose your bezel insert and dial only and keep the other parts safe.
Then let us know if it worked, in a few weeks/months/years ... really don't know [emoji39]

Sent from the RWI App

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
As the pigments and medium used nowadays are probably 1000% more UVproof than the nitrocellulose lacquer used by Rolex and other brands during the 60s and 70s, you'll probably just get some fading unless you wait for centuries.

Or you could source a 60s/70s Gen dial, cross your fingers and take the risk of ruining it while exposing it to hot sun and salty weather
But if you're lucky you could get a nice gen tropical dial [emoji6]

Sent from the RWI App

Bregan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/3/16
Hahaha Thanks fellas for the input. I shall try it and hopefully get back with positive info

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
damn you time traveled pretty far into the past to find this thread.

the answer is UV lamps do not work at all

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Damn maybe I’ll just leave my 6239 in a window

Won’t do anything. Tropical and spider web dials got their appearance because, for want of a better word, they were shit and didn’t perform as intended. Only in the bizarre world of vintage Rolex could such a thing be considered valuable. Along with flaky, piss coloured lume.

TonyBevilsizer

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
23/5/18
Well crap. I guess a weathering kit from hobby lobby is my only option.