• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My journey for the best franken Day-Date money can buy!

ilikewatchestoo

30/5/17
Hi all,

I am quite new to this forum but I wanted to thank you all that have helped me on my journey to build out the best franken day date money can buy.

I started with the idea of buying a gen day date 40 yellow gold so I went down to my local AD and tried it on. Keep in mind, this was the first Rolex that I have ever tried on. My wife asked me what I thought and I said it felt a bit lighter and 'cheaper' than I would have imagined for the price point. Again not knowing much so I decided to do some research online and found this forum!

After looking at some of the frankens I was obsessed with the idea of creating the best day-date franken.

So I created an account on here to do just that!

I started a few threads asking about the best franken YG DD40s. A few of you recommend me to look at 36mm as they were a much 'easier' rep. So I took that lead (thank you to all that recommended this to me).

I then started talking in great detail with @Ride2live who has helped me guide my way through this sea of rep'ness :)

After much research, I decided that if I wanted to have the best-looking day-date franken that I would need to acquire a TW Best/ WM9/ MBW. Well, I PMed many members that I thought would have one for sale and they all either did not want to sell theirs or already had sold it.

After more research, I realized that there was really only a few in the wild and they just kept getting bought then sold when people either upgraded to gen or wanted a different look.

Well after months @Ride2live notified me that there was one for sale so I jumped on the opportunity and purchased it!

While the watch was being shipped I went down to my AD daily to look and feel a DD36 in YG that they had for sale for $15k. I examined every part of the watch and I can say that the TW Best is dead on to the gen with a few minor issues:

1. Missing case engravings on back e.g 18k and other stamps
2. The case lugs say ORIG ROLEX DESING they swapped the N and G
3. There are no 55 engravings on the end links on the bracelet
4. They did not seem to triple wrap the rose gold clasp so I not sure how it will hold up long term
5. The dial that is stock is not date appropriate ( I could be wrong but I believe it should be T SWISS MADE T not just SWISS MADE)

When the watch arrived it came in amazing condition and I was very excited to have such a rare rep in my hands!

The watch came like this:

upload_2017-7-25_13-36-58.png

It was stunning I could instantly see the gold color difference from my DJ YG rep. The gold color was right on to the gen look and feel from all my time that week checking out the gen!

I am not a diamond person so I decided to work with a very trusted builder @la Fantasma to make a few changes for me:

Gen Dial 100% original Rolex not refinished (acquired)
Gen 18k Rolex Bezel (Still searching found one but did not work due to inside being sanded down the gasket would not fit correctly)
Gen 18k Rolex crown (acquired)
Gen Tudor hands (Still searching)
Gen Day and Date Wheels (using MMM ones for now and searching for ones compatible with ETA) thanks @stonep
Gen sapphire xtal (acquired)

If anyone has any of the above please do let me know!

I will keep everyone posted below on what is being done and use this as a way for us all to learn more about building out a DayDate franked on a TW Best base. Any and all info and guidance would be appreciated!

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-25_13-36-58.png
    upload_2017-7-25_13-36-58.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Congrats, my friend! Glad you acted quickly and are the proud new owner of a rare and beautiful watch.

A few more parts and you will have the best looking DD rep in the world! Enjoy, and wear it in good health for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: patrickseacoast

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
wow, awesome project. you really jumped into the deep end as soon as you approached the pool.

J___

M2M Stalker
Patron
Certified
3/7/14
Can't wait to see the end result, this is gonna be legit!

PaneraiKT

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
27/9/16
Subscribed [emoji106] can't wait to see the watch when it's done

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Versaceboy54

I <3 DD’s
Certified
26/6/13
NYC
Looking forward to seeing the final result :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

la Fantasma

8/4/14
I'm excited as well [emoji847]

ilikewatchestoo

30/5/17
The watchmaker got the watch and checked out the movement and said that the ETA looks great!
Can't wait to see the end result, this is gonna be legit!
Thanks, man! I am really excited as well! Where in SoCal are you?

Last edited:

ilikewatchestoo

30/5/17
Congrats, my friend! Glad you acted quickly and are the proud new owner of a rare and beautiful watch.

A few more parts and you will have the best looking DD rep in the world! Enjoy, and wear it in good health for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks again for finding it and letting me know!

ilikewatchestoo

30/5/17
I'm excited as well [emoji847]

The man himself! @la Fantasma Ladies and gentleman this is the mastermind behind the build! Thanks again for the countless hours spent texting back and forth. Anyone looking to have their watch worked on @la Fantasma is the man! Super patient and very very well informed (as if I had to say anything) :)

J___

M2M Stalker
Patron
Certified
3/7/14
The watchmaker got the watch and checked out the movement and said that the ETA looks great!

Thanks, man! I am really excited as well! Where in SoCal are you? I am in San Diego.

LA area over here.

la Fantasma

8/4/14
The man himself! @la Fantasma Ladies and gentleman this is the mastermind behind the build! Thanks again for the countless hours spent texting back and forth. Anyone looking to have their watch worked on @la Fantasma is the man! Super patient and very very well informed (as if I had to say anything) :)

Thanks man! [emoji4]

ilikewatchestoo

30/5/17
Update:
Thanks, @stonep for the champagne day and date wheels :)
I also found a nice heavy (5.1g) Rolex 18kt Solid Gold Fluted Bezel!
Should arrive to @la Fantasma by Wednesday!

Still looking for a set of gen 18k Tudor hands if anyone has any please let me know ASAP.

Reactions: patrickseacoast

ilikewatchestoo

30/5/17
Quick update.

Thank you all for the PMs on all the different items I have been trying to source! I am happy to say all parts have been sourced and are on their way to @la Fantasma! The last part should arrive on Wednesday so the festivities should begin soon!

Thanks again to all that PMed me with info and links to parts!

Moldy780

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
21/8/16
Im glad you got this off the ground! Looking forward to seeing the end product

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Congrats, that's my grail watch, can't wait to see how it turns out!