• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone have any luck "Waterproofing" a rep to 10atm?

Outta Time

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/3/17
Hey all

I'm a pretty active person around the water and I also enjoy wearing good quality reps. I'm looking to move up to a quality submariner, Explorer (I or II), Seamaster or Aqua Terra with eta movement. I would like to get one that I can get "Waterproofed" to 10ATM preferably or at the very least 5ATM. I'm not looking to dive or snorkel with it is more so when I'm on the boat, light swimming in the pool or ocean.

So I wanted to sea* ;) If anyone has had any success waterproofing a higher end rep(Noob etc.) and get great results.

Save the wear your Casio when around the water posts, I got it thanks, but I want to be able to where my rep around water and not have to think about it...

I appreciate your feedback and a little thank you for those that do:

Edited by @atgm -- boobs go in the looney bin, sorry :)

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
My noob v5 franken passed a 5 ATM pressure test after a gen crown install last month. This is a high as my watchsmiths equipment went. I've read that some members have pushed their regmariners to 10 ATM. My LMPO I bought m2m passed a 4 ATM pressure test before I bought it.

iPwnage

I'm Pretty Popular
1/6/14
I went scuba diving with a stock Noob Sub V3.

I think when you grease all Seals and Check if the crystal and its gasket are properly seated, you should be good to go [emoji2]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

ellist1234

Known Member
21/1/15
Uk
Yes my Regmariner passed 120m. And I wouldn't cry if it got bashed. I'm thinking of wearing instead of my seiko in the sea and pool. Cost me more than the Reg to get a double domed sapphire in the seiko when I bashed the hardlex into the bottom of the pool last year and scratched it to death.

Outta Time

8/3/17
Ok sounds good! Also rookie question RegMariner = rep Submariner right?

Dwoukmaster

22/11/15
EU
I have the same problem. Want to waterproof my Omega LMPO but i am not sure if my local watchsmith shop (plz waterproof my fake Omega) will be so kind and will do it. If anyone had some luck with official shop plz let me know. I need only the same thing as Outta Time - for washing my hands with them and some normal swiming. Thx

Outta Time

8/3/17
I have the same problem. Want to waterproof my Omega LMPO but i am not sure if my local watchsmith shop (plz waterproof my fake Omega) will be so kind and will do it. If anyone had some luck with official shop plz let me know. I need only the same thing as Outta Time - for washing my hands with them and some normal swiming. Thx

I had @vaccum seal and water test an V6F Omega Seamaster 300 I had and he was only able to get 3 ATM....hence my search.... but he is a RWI member and a preferred watchsmith and an all around good dude :)....I'm just looking for the platform to where he can work his magic that would yield me good results.

watchservicesny

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
8/1/07
V6s waterproofed and tested to 400m for one of my customer

e30d68f589754819eec7778ccb6a8228.jpg

5073a492e29edc9676514d5699f0e9ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diver.Dave

Horology Curious
17/4/17
Just from a background of testing instruments and camera housings in the past for waterproof, as well as running watches thru my test equipment: Basically if a housing (watch in this case) passes 3-5 ATM it'll pass to any depth short of where the structure of the housing (watch) begins to distort from external pressure. Basically you either have a good gasket (no debris or cat hair or whatever under a seal), or you don't. If you do, it'll leak at 2 atm. If not, testing to a fairly shallow depth will be adequate *until things start to bend*. So a good test at 5 ATM (pressurize it for an hour, depressurize, and quickly immerse in water to see bubbles) will tell you what you need to know.

A good pressure chamber can be made from a clear water filter housing, a gauge, and a bicycle pump for about $30 on a good day. water filters are good for about 100 PSI, which is about 7 atmospheres.

Buy this, add a gauge and a fitting for a bicycle pump (or a low pressure compressor, or the output of a scuba first stage regulator) and enjoy. It even has a push button purge valve on it.

http://www.water-softeners-filters....-housing.php?gclid=COHw6tC1rNMCFZ2Cswod_HELGg

Dave

Reactions: Srp111

edubbel

27/9/15
I had my stock JF v7 pass 10 atm at my local watch smith (its the limit for how high it goes) my h fac 243 did however not clear more then 5atm.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Rusty chain

Known Member
16/4/15
I have a gmt 11670 11670, a 1675 and a Tudor bronze that all made it to 4 ATM with a simple grease of the caseback and crown. Very easy procedure to do yourself. My tester is limited to 4 ATM (see nalgine pressure tester). I'm sure it would do more. Next time i'm at the mall I'll get one tested to 10 ATM.

Unknownwatchmaker

Renowned Member
Certified
27/11/15
Boston, MA
Has anyone tried one of Prof's crystals in the water? How did they hold up?

I actually purchased a waterproof tester from Amazon while the forums were down, with limited success using it. I don't think I will be keeping it long term -- I had one crystal pop off on a dry run (luckly the tank wasn't water filled at the time!), and I am now hesitant to mess around with the rest of my watches. If anyone is interested in picking up a mint water resistance tester, feel free to send me a PM. I think I will be posting mine to the sales forum this coming weekend.

Diver.Dave

Horology Curious
17/4/17
The cr
Has anyone tried one of Prof's crystals in the water? How did they hold up?

I actually purchased a waterproof tester from Amazon while the forums were down, with limited success using it. I don't think I will be keeping it long term -- I had one crystal pop off on a dry run (luckly the tank wasn't water filled at the time!), and I am now hesitant to mess around with the rest of my watches. If anyone is interested in picking up a mint water resistance tester, feel free to send me a PM. I think I will be posting mine to the sales forum this coming weekend.

Don't give up yet, the crystal popping off is a sign of a badly leaking watch, not a bad test process (noting that this is what happens in a helium saturation chamber environment for commercial diving, and why the Sea Dweller has a case relief valve: Helium passes right past the gaskets of even the best watch, and when the chamber is depressurized the crystals pop off. And further observing that this was a problem with some of the Omega watches taken to the moon when they were subjected to space vacuum).

The water area in the chamber should only be deep enough to barely immerse the watch in *after it's been pressurized in the dry top portion of the chamber, then allowed to sit for a while, and then depressurized IN THE DRY AREA*. You then drop the watch into the water and look for bubbles. If the crystal hasn't popped off yet, it's not going to in the water. And start at a low pressure first: A badly leaking watch will leak at 0.5 atmospheres. Try 0.5, 1.5, and then your final test pressure.

Dave

Reactions: Noobylover

Mister_GMT

8/2/17
I also grease all my rep watches and take it for swimming and snorkeling. No waterdamage till now.

Rufctr2

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
16/2/16
Same question for me. Ok no damage to the watch but does anyone test a rubber on the sea ? The salt isn't too corrosive for it ?
I will pass one week in June near the dead sea and i would like to take a titanium Pam with rubber but i don't want the black rubber come back to home in grey color :) ! !

Mister_GMT

8/2/17
This will depend on the quality of the rubber, i have a gen Sinn U1 with rubber and this is my watch for diving, no changes in color or anything.