• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DIY - Watch pressure test

myor

Renowned Member
10/11/14
After some hard time trying to find the place to pressure test my CrPO, decided to build my own tester, as some other members before. I am using well known design originally from christopherwardforum.com with some modifications.
Modifications of original design:
- Waterfilter housing rated to max operating pressure of 20 Bar for safety reason.
- Pressure gauge.
- Ball valve with longer handle for increased operating precision.
A – Parts:
1_zps94279011.jpg

1. Water filter housing rated to max operating pressure of 20 bar.
2. 2mm thick rubber sheet.
3. Pressure gauge.
4. Safety relief valve 8 bar.
5. Schrader air fill valve.
6. Ball valve.
7. Some fittings.
8. Rubber gaskets.
9. Chromed copper tubing 10mm.
10. Epoxy
11. Teflon tape

B – Assembly:
2_zps65535620.jpg

Tubing cut and bent.
3_zps4e381ad2.jpg

Tubing installed in pressure chamber lid, using rubber gaskets and epoxy. Make sure that there is free air flow through tubing and outlet duct of the lid.
4_zps17b3b2fb.jpg

5_zpsa9e40a8f.jpg

Gauge, ball valve, Schrader valve and safety relief valve installed.
6_zpsd56bf2a4.jpg

Safety relief valve test. Unit pressurized to 8Bar.
7_zps3552a939.jpg

Strap made of 2mm rubber. Piece of sharpened tubing used to punch 10mm holes.
C - PRESSURE TEST OF THE WATCH
8_zps111b941b.jpg

Attach the watch to the tubing using rubber strap.
Fill the chamber partially with water.
9_zps46d7892f.jpg

Screw on and hand tighten the lid.
10_zps77797233.jpg

Pressurize the unit to 6 Bar using an air compressor or a pump.
Wait a couple of minutes to allow the internal pressure of the watch equalize with chamber pressure in case of leak.
11_zps19b6b273.jpg

12_zps015114ed.jpg

Turn the unit upside down and start slowly relieving chamber pressure at the same time.
DO NOT DUMP THE PRESSURE as if the watch is not airtight the pressure difference between watch and chamber can blow off the crystal!!!
Look for the leak. Little air bubbles trapped under the bezel, inside the lug holes, or wherever, are going to expand as the pressure releases and will not fit there anymore. In other words, some bubbles are perfectly normal. An actual leak will appear as a steady stream of air bubbles.
In case of leak DO NOT STOP relieving chamber pressure and DO NOT LET the pressure go to zero (that is why I decided to install pressure gauge). Turn the unit back BEFORE chamber pressure hits zero.
If there is no leak, the watch is fine. Just let the pressure go to zero, than turn back the unit and remove watch.

Now, if you think that 6 Bar is not enough. Well... think again. 6 Bar means 60m depth. Watch tested at 6 Bar is good to go for every water activity you can possibly think,including recreational scuba diving. Forget the “dynamic pressure myth” stating that your movements in water will add several Bars of pressure to a watch. That is just an urban legend. To generate 1 Bar of dynamic pressure while swimming, your watch will have to move at the speed of about 15m/s or 54km/h and this will be the pressure at the watch surface “facing” water flow. Dynamic pressureat possible entry points (gaskets) will be much lower, if any. So the dynamic pressure your movements actually can cause is a very small force and will not limit your watch water resistance significantly.
For those with balls-to-brain ratio above average, still willing to test their watches at10-20 Bar using similar device:
Please! Keep in mind that 20 Bar is hell of a pressure. It’s 10 times more than your car tire!!!.
If something goes wrong, the air at 20 Bar pressure becoming within milliseconds 20 times more air carrying some high velocity plastic pieces WILL hurt you!!!

14_zps9bc72209.jpg

Reactions: Jlayal

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
That was great pictures until I got to the black lettering and on the "RWI black" theme couldn't read any of it.

myor

Renowned Member
10/11/14
Crap. I use white theme so didn't realize... Not sure how to fix it

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
Edit post > highlight the text > click "remove format".

4uNfWF7.jpg

jpohl402

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/7/12
Great tutorial, thanks!!

P.S. I LOL'd at this:
"For those with balls-to-brain ratio above average, still willing to test their watches at10-20 Bar using similar device:
Please! Keep in mind that 20 Bar is hell of a pressure. It’s 10 times more than your car tire!!!.
If something goes wrong, the air at 20 Bar pressure becoming within milliseconds 20 times more air carrying some high velocity plastic pieces WILL hurt you!!!"

That IS a hell of a lot of pressure anyway!

myor

Renowned Member
10/11/14
Thank you guys. Happy to inspire/entertain :)

Man, what a great thread. Myor, you should make and sell these to our members!
Don't want to be directly responsible for blown heads of those really brave...

panermaniac

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
25/5/12
China
Very nice tutorial!
I made a very similar one last year for under $40. Works like a charm and I've used it to about 20 times.

Autogot

Known Member
26/7/15
Great tutorial, thanks, Bro!!!

In case of testing watches at10-20 Bar on similar equipment we must left air just as less as possible.
This will reduce the effect of a possible explosion.
Less air - less risk for tester :)

Insert-here

Known Member
16/7/15
I have a top of line single stage shop compressor that can do 135psi, which is about 8-10 bars. You would need need diver air compresser to reach anything over 150psi. The plastic in your devise will likely explode before you reach 200psi.

myor

Renowned Member
10/11/14
I have a top of line single stage shop compressor that can do 135psi, which is about 8-10 bars. You would need need diver air compresser to reach anything over 150psi. The plastic in your devise will likely explode before you reach 200psi.
There is no need to go more than 6bar IMO. The housing I used is rated to 20bar operating pressure, and there is 8bar safety relief valve installed.