• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to: Dial refinishing & Dial reprinting

Five digit guy

14/6/19
Hello RWI members! So recently I’ve been trying to expand a little more and showcase some of the work I offer / services I provide on a daily basis.. so here’s a quick one fixing a very expensive dial making sure its back to factory spec and the print is identical.. this is in my personal watch and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome! If you have any questions, or need something like this done shoot me a PM I am USA based and all of the work is done in house no outsourcing and best of all NO WEEKS - MONTHS LEAD TIME!!

I like to think made my bones off of working with reps first as this was what I could afford at the time, now I’m able to stock over 110 genuine dials, gen cases, bracelets, bezels insert etc as I supply parts to a variety of people. what was once a small hobby has now turned into something I love more than my actual day job and has consumed me, this is what I love to do so I’m attempting to get better at these write ups to hopefully help out some of you along the way enjoy!

So here we have a genuine 118238 Z serial 36MM day date, after going to service its clear the monkey of a watchmaker carelessly heavily scratched and dropped something on the dial, or used a cleaning solvent in which removed some print on a $2500+ dial… so lets break it down on how to fix these issues. (WARNING: IF YOU HAVE THE SHAKES PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU TRY AT HOME)
z3AcAL.jpg
z3Ag6R.jpg

STEP ONE: remove dial from movement, don’t think because its already messed up you can just do whatever you like always cover the dial when removing hands, and remove hands without grazing the dial.. this dial has high polished date and day windows that are real 18k yellow gold so even the slightest touch will scratch them, and require a repolish.

STEP TWO: Assessing the damage.. it sucks, but after you’ve thrown up once or twice lets figure out how to fix this, so we are dealing with a heavily scratched resin or lacquer top coat, and bottom 2 line damage. First remove the rest of the printing, there’s no saving it so removal & reprint is the only option here. Ive found rubbing alcohol & a que tip will remove the print and not distort or eat through this top coat (ALL DIALS ARE DIFFERENT SOME ARE ANODIZED THIS METHOD WILL TAKE OFF COLOR)
z3LjzK.jpg
z3LzOv.jpg

STEP THREE: removing the scratches.. this is a very tedious process that I honestly can’t take enough pictures on, its all about the feel and having a sharp eye, have something like a microscope or at least a 10x loupe. I was once heavily involved in the automotive industry and car paint repairs were my specialty so its similar but no where near the same. Start by saying off the dial markers use watch wrap and tape to secure it (DO NOT USE TAPE ON THE DIAL YOU MIGHT LEAVE RESIDUE WHICH MAKES MORE WORK) now depending on how deep the scratch is you will need to sand and repolish the finish.

For this dial specifically: secure dial on foam block do not try and sand it on bench top you can bend the dial feet..
Scratches were decently deep, but there were a lot of affected areas.
1 - Start with least aggressive and check results (3000 grit foam backed pad secured to a q tip) usually I use a sanding pen (but just to show users it can be done with minimal tools)
2 - Started with 2500 grit in small circular motions (this will haze the dial don’t get scared) check work / progress)
3- 2500 grit - 3000 - 3500 - 4000 - 4500 - 5000 ALL OF THESE GRITS ARE FOAM BACKED Light finish pads made for bowling balls specifically.
STEP FOUR: re-polishing.. this can be a very messy step but you need to take precautions to keep the polish contained.

using micro foam pads varying stiffness, figure out which one will suite the dial finish best without Marring the surface..
use liquid polish only - I used multiple (grit) based polishes to make sure the finish is glassy & all sanding marks are removed

DIAL AFTER POLISH:

z3LmkF.jpg
z3LoVt.jpg

STEP FIVE: now this process I cannot show for a variety of reasons.. having access to the tooling specific dies etc are the only way you can do this part.. from Rolex - Patek - AP I can customize any dial with any wording etc.

Dial restamped / back in watch!! This is my personal piece
z3LOpE.jpg
z3Ln7Y.png
z3L98s.png
z3L1L3.png
z3LYGn.png

Last edited:

Five digit guy

14/6/19
Had someone pm saying the pic of the watch is from google.. lol let’s put that silly stuff to rest quick I have completed tons of projects, and work on reps gens and sell tons of genuine parts to members in the rep game and in the genuine resell buisness..

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
This is awesome and gives good insight into what other skills are part of the watchmaker beyond movement assembly and pressing hands.

can we get a picture of the sanding tools themselves? I’m a bit confused as to what they are.

Also, note to myself in three years when I’m bored and want to do something like this. Don’t. Just. Just don’t.

Reactions: Five digit guy

Five digit guy

14/6/19
This is awesome and gives good insight into what other skills are part of the watchmaker beyond movement assembly and pressing hands.

can we get a picture of the sanding tools themselves? I’m a bit confused as to what they are.

Also, note to myself in three years when I’m bored and want to do something like this. Don’t. Just. Just don’t.

i can’t tell you how many times I’ve flipped the lights on walked over to my bench and said maybe just leave it alone and walk away.. never ends up going that way haha lots of trial and error ! And yea for sure I’ll post some pics of what I used to sand this dial

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Thank for sharing this write up. Are you suggesting to members you are keen to print dials for people? I assumed this is done by traditional pad printing?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Five digit guy

14/6/19
Thank for sharing this write up. Are you suggesting to members you are keen to print dials for people? I assumed this is done by traditional pad printing?

Yes, I can refinish dials including brushed finish, re lume, re print custom dials, new markers etc basically full dial refinish from vintage - brand new style dials. And yes this is done via pad printing.

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Yes, I can refinish dials including brushed finish, re lume, re print custom dials, new markers etc basically full dial refinish from vintage - brand new style dials. And yes this is done via pad printing.
That's amazing! I'm sure a lot of us would like to get our blue or olive 5711 printed with Tiffany Stamp. I suggest you buy some Buff dials and we will form a bee line to your service

Last edited:

Five digit guy

14/6/19
That's amazing! I'm sure a lot of us would like to get our blue or olive 5711 printed with Tiffany Stamp. I suggest you buy some Buff dials and we will form a bee line to your service

Hmm never played around with that.. might be my next venture solid idea !! Unfortunately have no access to buff dials have a contact for them?

Five digit guy

14/6/19
Peterpic

Do you work on other replicas besides Rolex? You do amazing work based on the pictures, well done.

currently trying to get "Tiffany & Co" worked out for patek dials ! almost have it correct will post pics when done on my own PPF 5711. otherwise for dials I mainly do rolex dials as the font stays somewhat consistent amongst all models.

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
Had someone pm saying the pic of the watch is from google.. lol let’s put that silly stuff to rest quick I have completed tons of projects, and work on reps gens and sell tons of genuine parts to members in the rep game and in the genuine resell buisness..

Great work. Did you pad print it or screen print? Can you share what sort of ink did you use?

oldtools

Renowned Member
14/6/11

Wow! Beautiful!