• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Guidelines for avatars/signatures

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Thanks, guys.

Now please help me start monitoring for signatures and avatars of piles of exrement or decapitated cats that I did not specifically prohibit, because you *know* some wisea** is going to figure out exactly which categories of offensive material I neglected to mention. And this forum is nothing, if not creative. :)

Q made me take down a picture of some man boobs a while ago. I complied as it was absolulty revolting......but........ I've seen MANY a man boob on the beach. I sport a fine budding pair myself.

I don't know if I have a point now that I am writing this.... I guess I'm still a little upset. :( I'll make it don't worry......

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
Actually, we have this same discussion within the admin section. The EU guys are pretty consistent about laughing at the Americans and their prudish viewpoints about what is offensive. And we are aware that it's difficult to construct a list of rules that will be fair and acceptable to everyone. But as Roo said, we do need to start somewhere. There *are* pictures that are beyond the boundaries of acceptable to anyone, and we have had to ask the owners to remove them. But it seems fairer to all if we give everyone a sense of expectations first.

And in actual fact, I haven't been suggesting a change in the rules or an increase in censorship. We've already been going by these guidelines, only it's never been explicitly spelled out to everyone. So we're trying to correct this now.

For the most part, when I've asked someone to remove something, they've been very polite and respectful about complying. Some have genuinely not considered how others may view their "artwork".

We're not really trying to squelch individuality or creativity. But it's not that easy to figure out how to draw a line that promotes that, and still ensures a forum where everyone feels welcome to browse openly.

Fortey

21/7/10
I'd personally much rather see some t&a than guns, but you guys are doing a great job as is, so no real complaints here.

I posted to note that someone might want to remove
gay%20dancer1.gif

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
Yup, +1 here.

Thank you for being both our mother and our moral compass, AHW. And, as sarcastic as that sounds... I actually mean it!

I appreciate having a forum where I (rarely) have to worry about what my wife or kids will see if they stumble in and peer over my shoulder. Those types of forums should be reserved for the laptop... in a locked bathroom... when the family is all gone. :google: