• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Extra costs with credit card

NISSART

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/19
Hi everyone,

I recently bought 3 items on PT and paid with credit card. The prices of the items, including shipping costs, were as follows when I made the transactions:

1st item: 461 US dollars (= 414 euros circa)
2nd item: 353 US dollars (= 317 euros circa)
3rd item: 458 US dollars (= 412 euros circa)

When I checked my credit card extract I've found the following amount debited

1st item: 441 euros (+27 euros)
2nd item: 347 euros (+30 euros)
3rd item: 477 euros (+65 euros).

For 3 items I had an extra cost of 122 euros.

I talked with my bank to understand if it was a commission applied to a transaction in a foreign currency (it's +2%), but the bank showed me all the transactions were made directly in euros and so no extra fees should apply.

Did you experience the same unconvenient with PT?
Yesterday I wrote to the PT billing department and waiting for an official answer because I want a refund of these unjustified extra costs.

Thanks folks!

Moses

Horology Curious
30/7/19
Yes I had the same check out was 473$ and I paid 530$ that's the Chinese exchange and then the bank charged me 15$ more

Hans81

23/2/15
Maybe it will improve customer experience if there is a information given before checkout that if credit card is used there is a fee of x%.

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Maybe it will improve customer experience if there is a information given before checkout that if credit card is used there is a fee of x%.

I do have stated it on our website. We don't know how much x%
QQ-20190829134935.jpg

Hans81

23/2/15
QQ-20190829134935.jpg

Everybody should be happy then. Maybe a rough indication of the percentage may help to reduce irritation, because most of the people assume it’s the standard 1-2%.

Scacco

12/8/19
the best solution to this problem would be to accept paypal, which makes a more accurate currency conversion service.

It would be a fair service to give to customers by the TDs.

Using paypal in F&F mode guarantees the customer a better currency conversion (without losing all that money in conversion payments), but also gives the seller a guarantee (Td).
In the F&F mode, the money reaches the recipient without the possibility of future retaliation.

..... this is because it appears to be a donation between friends and family ... and there is no possibility of requesting money back from the donor.

What's the problem ?

They would all be happy and content with this solution.
This mode (as we all know) that is always used successfully in M2M sales.

.......... so I don't see any problem to use it even in sales between users and Td.

Thank you if you want to kindly answer me and solve this thing!

Reactions: François.Fillon

NISSART

3/7/19
QQ-20190829134935.jpg

As you can see, in the first 2 purchases the extra cost was around 30 euros each. On the last purchase I had a +65 euros increase!!! Why such a big fluctuation, the double of the previous ones? Again, I’ve asked the bank and they said they didn’t apply any surcharge (they apply +2% if the transaction is made in a foreign currency) because the payment was made directly in euros. They told me it’s the seller who took a bigger amount from the card. Please be clear on this point

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

puretime

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
16/3/06
Even I have explained too many times in the other threads but I still want everyone to understand, this is not something legal so the payment processor can only use high risk merchant to process the payment which usually charges at higher price than listed.

We can show you the statement from the payment processor and we only get the exact amount listed on the site.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
the best solution to this problem would be to accept paypal, which makes a more accurate currency conversion service.

Using paypal in F&F mode guarantees the customer a better currency conversion (without losing all that money in conversion payments), but also gives the seller a guarantee (Td).
In the F&F mode, the money reaches the recipient without the possibility of future retaliation.

..... this is because it appears to be a donation between friends and family ... and there is no possibility of requesting money back from the donor.

What's the problem ?

.......... so I don't see any problem to use it even in sales between users and Td.

Amazing ! In all these years no one ever thought of asking for Paypal ! LOLOLOL..... Maybe you should try doing some reading. You'll see all the problems that noobs have cause using Paypal with TD's. They've pretty much ruined it for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: APjumbo

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Hi everyone,

I recently bought 3 items on PT and paid with credit card. The prices of the items, including shipping costs, were as follows when I made the transactions:

1st item: 461 US dollars (= 414 euros circa)
2nd item: 353 US dollars (= 317 euros circa)
3rd item: 458 US dollars (= 412 euros circa)

When I checked my credit card extract I've found the following amount debited

1st item: 441 euros (+27 euros)
2nd item: 347 euros (+30 euros)
3rd item: 477 euros (+65 euros).

For 3 items I had an extra cost of 122 euros.

I talked with my bank to understand if it was a commission applied to a transaction in a foreign currency (it's +2%), but the bank showed me all the transactions were made directly in euros and so no extra fees should apply.

Did you experience the same unconvenient with PT?
Yesterday I wrote to the PT billing department and waiting for an official answer because I want a refund of these unjustified extra costs.

Thanks folks!

This has been dicussed 100's of times on RWI before ! The conclusion is a CREDIT CARD isn't a very clever way to pay for goods from China .

This is due to something called DYNAMIC CURRENCY CONVERSION which the card processor applies to your payment as it wasn't made in the local currency . In this case the card processor is in China the local currency is CNY . They convert your $461 into CNY not at the days FX rate but at a much poorer rate , so the amount you pay becomes much higher in dollars/euros .

As an example at todays FX rates you send $461 ( 416.91 euros) this what you expect to pay ! The card processor converts your $461 into Chinese Yuan at todays rate that would be 7.144 = 3293.61 CNY ...So the card processor pays the TD $461 or 3293.61 CNY . However they apply a poorer $-CNY rate to your transaction say 6.799 so to pay your TD 3293.61 CNY your card is charged $484.42 ... 3293.61 divided by 6.799 = $484.42 ( 438.06 euros)

So PT collects $461 and the card processor picks up the extra $23.42 . Obviously the figures in my example are for illustration and made up but explain the process and why your card has been charged more .

There is an element of paying of high risk payments and paying for illegal goods , however credit card processors apply this to perfectly legal goods and services when using credit cards for transactions not in the local currency . It is sort of a legal scam .

It is why i NEVER use a credit card for purchasing replica watches . Did it once paid about £43 more than i expected to pay with DCC and a foreign transaction fee applied by Barclays .A lesson learnt i now use other ways to send payments to my TD .

You can email the PT payments department but they are telling you the truth . They have received exactly the amount they requested for the watch the card processor have pocketed the rest using DCC as a fee .

Last edited:
Reactions: Scacco

Scacco

12/8/19
Amazing ! In all these years no one ever thought of asking for Paypal ! LOLOLOL..... Maybe you should try doing some reading. You'll see all the problems that noobs have cause using Paypal with TD's. They've pretty much ruined it for everyone.

the use of paypal in F&F mode does not bring any problems to those who receive the money.

So, I don't see what the problem may be of not wanting to use it.

If in the past problems occurred, it was certainly for the use of PP in the classic method.

I repeat, not in the F&F mode which does not involve any problem because it is a donation to friends and family.

In fact, this mode is easily used for M2M sales ....... without any problem!

Reactions: François.Fillon

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

What's the problem ?

Charge backs from lying thieving shits - that's what's the problem.

Reactions: Scacco