• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Overview of Hybrid build: PF case, 3KF V2 movement, PPF dial and hands by @​​​​​​​legend 

JTO

Looking Around
1/12/20
Hello everyone!

As my first ever post on RWI, I would like to showcase the very first PF case, 3KF V2 movement, PPF blue dial hybrid Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711, modded by none other than the legendary legend
Legend is an immaculate person to work with as he stunningly surpassed every expectation I had in both pure craftsmanship and professional service. Truly an honor to work on a project with him and on that regard, I have an advice to everyone that is planning on reaching out to him. Please remember that YOU are the one that gets a chance to work with HIM who is a super hard to find skilled craftsman and that's ONLY if you are a polite, respectful person.

Before diving into the build, here is a little backstory on how we got here.
I got in contact with Legend in early December after encountering his name countless times regarding 5711 mods around the forum. The more research I did, the more aware I became of his renown reputation in the community.

We initially pondered around the idea of fitting a 3KF movement but there were too many things lacking from the V1 that we decided to skip on it and go for a standard PF case + PPF dial and hands build…… until the release of 3KF V2 mid Dec with the engraved movement and other minor improvements done to it. We decided to go for it literally a day after the release on Puretime and that is how this journey took off!

~ Build Components ~
・PF donor watch

・PPF V4 Dial + Hands

・3KF V2 Movement

~ Mod List ~
1) Complete movement service & smoothing

2) Machining case to fit 3KF V2 movement

3) Modding hands to fit the 3KF V2 movement
​​​​​​4) Swapping and aligning Dial + Hands
5) DW centering

6) Case / Bracelet beveling + polishing : It's a sword from a statue, just look at that mirror finish!!

7) Mod crown guard : Probably one of the most debated topics after the DW
8) Trimming crown to gen spec

9) Caseback thinning to gen spec
10) Waterproofing

~ Reveal ~
Matched the gorgeous watch with a Gen box set + Travel case which looks stunning!

Wrist shot with a tailor made navy blue suit. Archiving this dream combo was the catalyst for this entire project!

Backside wrist shot

Close Ups

~ Phase 2 + Review ~
In terms of Phase 2, so far there is only 1 major thing in the list but I will be updating the thread if we do come up with other things as time goes on.

・DW : The only options so far is to either wait for 3KF to fix their DW or buying a Gen DW.
I am however sincerely hoping that BIONONE and associates decide to create one which would be dream come true.

As for my personal review, I've said in the beginning but Legend did an outstanding job on this project so I am extremely happy with the end result.
He showed extreme special care so that the watch not only looks but it also feels like a Patek in terms of its crown handling and winding which is a feat not many can accomplish.

Other than the DW, I believe there is not much else that can be improved on a 5711 build other than actually getting Gen parts and building a franken. If you guys can think of something for Phase 2, I would love to know! (Things that are not visible to the human eye can be disregarded)

Thank you for sticking around till the end and hope you enjoyed the post!

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Well, as first posts go, this is perhaps the best one I've ever read. Well done legend on creating this lovely watch. And lovely suit to go with it OP. :drinks_cheers:

Reactions: JTO

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
Superb build, the best of each brand's parts available nowadays perfectly mixed by legend, brilliant.

Thank you for this pesentation OP, work of art for sure.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Amazing watch, wear in good health!!

Legend also posted another thread with this build, but it was refreshing reading your detailed post again. Loved it

Riverwind85

26/4/18
Amazing watch! Is it me or in some light the dial seems purple?
Maybe it is the IPhone...

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
That’s definitely a nice build, I myself have a blue dial PF/PPF legend build. It’s very interesting with the clone movement, existing to see what the future holds for this kind of build

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Amazing watch! Is it me or in some light the dial seems purple?
Maybe it is the IPhone...

same on my iPhone. It's probably harsh lighting used by OP or this looks more like the v3 dial. However the key point here is that both PPF v3 (hints of purple) and v4 (more blue) are both period correct compared to gen. The gen dial has HB as both color variations over the years.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Excellently written post. The sequential narrative with accompanying pictures of the project explained it all. Congrats OP and well done legend .

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
Legend is by far, one of the best and most skilled watch makers I’ve ever encountered and this thread of evidence of that. Absolutely brilliant! Thierry Stern ought to offer Legend a position in the Patek Philippe grand complication studio!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: grillbrill and JTO

rongxike

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/12/19
Earth
Zp4CdL.jpg

Anyone can advise if this center screw can be interchangeable with ppf? Ppf one looks closer to gen.

Last edited:

rongxike

7/12/19
Earth
It is not possible. But in my opinion 3kf is much more similar to gen then ppf
3b538752df723117f93d2612bbffa82f.jpg

I agreed, but i see the center screw of 3kf having a gap between it and the axes, it will be perfect if that screw is fully size like ppf or gen

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Looks absolutely gorgeous, well wear, not jealous at all:bye:

Just wish we had a clone, no pun intended, of legend in Ireland:rolleyes:

​​​​​​​

canopus

4/8/19
Beautiful build, wear it in good health.

Would you mind sharing the cost of the 3k v2 ?

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
well you know the deal mate. The one involving spiced rum and naked mermaids. OK I just added on the latter on a whim but I am sure Ireland has them.

I'll definitely bring the rum and am currently sourcing the best mermaids, closed to GEN ;);) review will be forthcoming :p

Reactions: legend

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Amazing craftsmanship, thanks for sharing! Hope to get someday one of those builds too

JonathanLing91

Renowned Member
18/1/20
Wow wow wow. I’m at a loss for words. This is amazing, thank you very much OP for sharing this with us.

[mention]legend [/mention] I’m much more active on the AP forums and I always see you providing your expertise there, but thank you for all you do for the community. Your craftsmanship is truly second-to-none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk