• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3KF Nautilus vs PPF Nautilus

shortlegs

31/5/19
Sigh on the 1st link and the bezel thickness.. If they fixed both we will have a winner...

Analog967

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/8/20
g3NrX.png

Looks like the 3K crown is bigger than than ppf in this video? Am I mistaken ? I've read the opposite, the PPF has a bigger crown / protrudes more??

Last edited:

Fat Dave

1/6/13
Australia
Looks like the 3K crown is bigger than than ppf in this video? Am I mistaken ? I've read the opposite, the PPF has a bigger crown / protrudes more??

The issue is in how far out the crown protrudes when viewing the watch normally, as you can see on the right:

pyRUn.jpg

swink6112

Known Member
15/7/20
From having own both PPF v4 and 3KF v2, here's my two cents.. please don't filet me lol

For me the 3KF is an easy win due to 5 factors.

1) The dial color
Compared to gen the color on the 3KF is very close on different kind of lighting. It has the correct grey blue with a hint of green like the gen. The PPF v4 dial color while beautiful on it's own with a far superior dw, but when compared to gen it is very apparent that the color is wrong. It looks blue with a hint of purple. Very wrong when compared next to a gen.
***Check out this youtube video where it was compared to a gen MK2 dial***
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTFFSsOJ7o

2) The crown guard shape(or the sunken crown effect)
While the 3KF cg aint perfect. It gives the correct illusion that the cg covers a significant proportion of the crown when screwed all the way in like gen. The angle while not exactly like gen gives the same effect. While the PPF v4 cg looks good on close inspection. But on the wrist it doesn't provide the same "sunken crown" effect that the gen has. The 3KF has this effect.

3) The crown protrusion issue
While 3KF does have a better crown length I must admit, the first polished link is quite large compared to gen. But on the wrist, the eyes naturally tend to not really see or focus on the first link but rather on the dial and crown and cg part more. On the wrist the 3KF crown does not protrude at all and when screwed all the way down it gives the same silhouette as the gen. The PPF v4's crown sticks out like a sore thumb and there's no way that someone who has handled a gen or have seen the crown sticking out will not immediately notice it. This is more apparent than the large first link on the 3KF.

4) The clone movement
Say what you will but I can take off my 3KF and stare at the movement all day. Yes, it isn't engraved but it isn't bad looking at all. I'm shocked at how 3KF was able to replicate this.

5) The over all look
From having own both and having compared it to my boss's gen 5711, I'd have to say the 3KF looks more gen on the wrist than the PPF v4.

Here's my 3KF v2

shel504

Renowned Member
26/5/20
Anyone have PPF vs 3K white dials to compare? Wondering if any differences are more apparent with the blue than the white. Thanks

RockerArm

Known Member
2/10/19
EU
Does anyone noted the different font size for "PATEK PHILIPPE" on the dial... to my eyes looks a bit smaller the 3KF print than the PPF! ...at the meantime the "GENEVE" looks identical...!
Which one has the right size??

KilltheDeath

Known Member
4/10/20
From having own both PPF v4 and 3KF v2, here's my two cents.. please don't filet me lol

For me the 3KF is an easy win due to 5 factors.

1) The dial color
Compared to gen the color on the 3KF is very close on different kind of lighting. It has the correct grey blue with a hint of green like the gen. The PPF v4 dial color while beautiful on it's own with a far superior dw, but when compared to gen it is very apparent that the color is wrong. It looks blue with a hint of purple. Very wrong when compared next to a gen.
***Check out this youtube video where it was compared to a gen MK2 dial***
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTFFSsOJ7o

2) The crown guard shape(or the sunken crown effect)
While the 3KF cg aint perfect. It gives the correct illusion that the cg covers a significant proportion of the crown when screwed all the way in like gen. The angle while not exactly like gen gives the same effect. While the PPF v4 cg looks good on close inspection. But on the wrist it doesn't provide the same "sunken crown" effect that the gen has. The 3KF has this effect.

3) The crown protrusion issue
While 3KF does have a better crown length I must admit, the first polished link is quite large compared to gen. But on the wrist, the eyes naturally tend to not really see or focus on the first link but rather on the dial and crown and cg part more. On the wrist the 3KF crown does not protrude at all and when screwed all the way down it gives the same silhouette as the gen. The PPF v4's crown sticks out like a sore thumb and there's no way that someone who has handled a gen or have seen the crown sticking out will not immediately notice it. This is more apparent than the large first link on the 3KF.

4) The clone movement
Say what you will but I can take off my 3KF and stare at the movement all day. Yes, it isn't engraved but it isn't bad looking at all. I'm shocked at how 3KF was able to replicate this.

5) The over all look
From having own both and having compared it to my boss's gen 5711, I'd have to say the 3KF looks more gen on the wrist than the PPF v4.

Here's my 3KF v2

Agree with all your points!

Reactions: swink6112

Kobe88

Horology Curious
25/10/20
What are the specs? Hands seem pretty white compared to the greenish hour markers. Rest looks stunning.

Sent from the RWI App

Its a ppf v3 with all the mods (case reshape, crown shortened, bevel cutting and polish, bracelet re done too), with 3kf v2 movement/hands and spongebob tiffany stamp dial..

The color in the hands do look different on the pic not noticeable in real life plus lume is the same brightness and color

Reactions: mech500

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Its a ppf v3 with all the mods (case reshape, crown shortened, bevel cutting and polish, bracelet re done too), with 3kf v2 movement/hands and spongebob tiffany stamp dial..

The color in the hands do look different on the pic not noticeable in real life plus lume is the same brightness and color

Nice. For me atm The One would be a refinished, thinned PF case with a PPF v4 or a 3KF (?) dial and a 3KF movement. PPF v4 bracelet seems / is said to be more genlike but I'm satisfied with my PF one. My ordered blue 3KF 5711 is still in transit so I don't know yet which dial and bracelet I will prefer.

exacten

Known Member
31/10/19
when it comes to rose gold which one does people recommend and why