• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek PPF 5711 (White) Review

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Alright, everyone. As promised, here is my review of the new PPF 5711 Patek Nautilus. Regrettably, I sold my MK v. 5 yesterday yesterday (for a nice little profit), so I didn't have the benefits of utilizing it for purposes of this review.

Dial/Markers: The white dial is simply amazing. They have really nailed it out of the park with this. They have done a wonderful job with the markers, the lume, and the dial. I think what is most impressive, the markers stay black regardless of what angle you shine the light (just like gen). They've done an amazing job with this. Just need to appropriately QC to ensure straight markers.

Date Window: Although a bit thinner than it should be, I think they've done a good job with the sizing of the DW and making sure the date covers the entire window. In my opinion, the DWO for the PPF is MILES ahead of the PF and MKW. The only thing that could make it a bit better, is Keylogs DWO. Otherwise, for OOTB, this is a very good DW.

Slimness: So, the thickness of the watch varied depending on how I used my calipers. When I just closed the callipers with no pressure, it would measure at 8.66mm - 8.70mm. When I applied a bit of pressure it would hover between 8.62mm-8.63mm, when I applied a bit more pressure, the thickness would vary between 8.57-8.60mm. Please see below. It's honestly very thin, and I'm amazed that they got it to this point.

For comparison, the PF would hover between 8.90 - 9.10mm depending on how I used the callipers.

Movement: The movement is simply beautiful. At some angles, and for the less informed hobbyist, the movement could be confused for gen. See photos below.

Bracelet: Very similar to the PF bracelet, but the engraving are much better. The thickness is identical to PF. I know I'm alone in my opinion, but I really preferred the MK bracelet over the PF and PPF. I say this because although the MK bracelet needs to be pressured so that it hugs the wrist and fits better, it was buttery smooth and felt like gen. The fit and finish of the MK (IMO) was more impressive.

That said, the PPF and PF both immediately hug the wrist (just like gen), and don't need pressure to make it hug the wrist. However, the PPF and PF both are not buttery smooth and feel a bit flimsy to me. The bracelet may need an oil treatment or some other treatment to smoothen it out, but otherwise has the same light/deity feel of the PF bracelet.

Nevertheless, having watched quite a few Patek 5711 reviews, a lot of the gen users indicate that the gen bracelet is supposed to feel like it is somewhat light and flimsy. So, although I prefer the Mk bracelet, it appears the PPF and PF bracelets are more similar to gen (albeit need a bit of treatment to acquire the buttery smooth feel and avoid hair pinching, etc.)

Now the photos:

PF vs PPF
2.jpg

29.jpg

PPF thickness with a bit of pressure
6.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

PPF thickness with a bit more pressure
5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

PF Thickness for Comparison

10.jpg

1.jpg

PPF Dial Width:
18.jpg

PF Dial Width:
12.jpg

Bracelet Thickness PF
13.jpg

PPF
14.jpg

PPF on right
15.jpg

PPF Dial
19.jpg

PF Dial
20.jpg

PPF Thickness from dial to top of Bezel
21.jpg

PF Thickness from Dial to top of Bezel
22.jpg

PPF Movement

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

DWO
31.jpg

32.jpg

PPF Profile Shots
33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

Last edited:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Excellent review. Thanks for posting the pictures. This looks really really good. I think I might have to get one and put my gen dial on it.

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
You're very welcome, my friend. Happy to contribute to the site.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Awesome job. Thank you for taking the time.

How do the clasps compare?

Im thinking a hybrid will be best. PF crown, bezel and bracelet. Rest ppf

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Awesome job. Thank you for taking the time.

How do the clasps compare?

Im thinking a hybrid will be best. PF crown, bezel and bracelet. Rest ppf

The PPF clasp is a bit more stiff to open, but it's not that much worse than the PF. The quality of the two are practically the same. You just really have to get your finger underneath it, and apply a bit of pressure.

I agree about the crown. The PPF crown sticks out. It doesn't bother me that much, because it makes it much easier to pull out and wind the watch. But I could see why this would annoy some people.

Reactions: vcappp and Nivka

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Great review and photos! Can you comment on how noticeable the differences in the bezel dimensions are in person/on wrist?

The bezel dimensions are not noticeable at all on the wrist. Maybe a bit more when you are comparing it side-by-side with the gen, or another rep. I honestly didn't even realize it until another user pointed it out, which was also confirmed by the calipers.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Although I never really liked white dials, that one is excellent! .. Thanks for taking the time to produce an excellent comparison.... I can't wait for the blue dial PPF to come on line!..

Reactions: nest1

BlackJaguar

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/18
Although I never really liked white dials, that one is excellent! .. Thanks for taking the time to produce an excellent comparison.... I can't wait for the blue dial PPF to come on line!..

You’re very welcome, my friend. And I agree about the blue dial.

By by the way, I forgot to mention this, but another added perk (and maybe I got lucky here), but the rotor is completely silent. With the PF and some other Patek reps, I always have to get the rotor silenced and oiled. Not for the PPF. The rotor is completely silent and has the “gen feel”.

Doud

I'm Pretty Popular
5/11/12
THANK you for the review! So much looking forward to ordering the black or blue dial :)

Doubt they will make a fantasy black dial. Gen only exists in white or blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Thanks for the review - sorely tempted by the white version, but am waiting to see what the blue looks like when it becomes available.

I've never owned a 5711 before - how easy is it to adjust the bracelet?? Are there any special tools required??

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Thanks for the review.

Quick request. Since you have both PF and PPF at hand. Is it possible to check if the PF Bezel can be installed on the PPF?

If it works I think it will be an ideal hybrid upgrade.

Reactions: Nivka

Soloist

4/5/17
United States
Thanks for the review - sorely tempted by the white version, but am waiting to see what the blue looks like when it becomes available.

I've never owned a 5711 before - how easy is it to adjust the bracelet?? Are there any special tools required??

~1.4mm flat head should do the trick

Reactions: vcappp

felix2

Horology Curious
29/6/14
Beautiful, thanks. Are they releasing the blue version too? Is it confirmed?