• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus crystal border white-ish

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
Hey guys,

I'm really starting to fall in love with my PF nautilus, but there one thing that keeps bugging me and I haven't seen it discussed in here. I'm talking about the border of the crystal. The shape and height is perfectly gen like, no issue there. However, under some lighting conditions, the whole border catches the light and gives the impression of a white frame. I have tried to capture that in a few pics below.

I haven't seen any pic of a gen that has that same effect, so for me this is a big flaw. However, it's not because google and chrono 24 don't have such pics that it does not exist. So I'm wondering whether it is indeed a flaw. If someone has access to a gen, I'd be super thankful if they could try to replicate this and let me know. ( Heisenberg maybe? ;) )

Now if it is indeed a flaw, would anyone know where it's coming from and whether it can be fixed? Is it the way the crystal is cut on reps Vs. how they do on gen? Is it due to the gasket?

I know this is OCD but if there's a way to fix it I'd be happy to know

Thanks guys

Here are the pics

BLXld.jpg

BLHA2.jpg

BL4vZ.jpg

BLmqR.jpg

Reactions: vcappp

Tobel

6/7/17
in the gen is the seal

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying that the gen has the same white-ish crystal border ? What do you mmean by seal? Gasket?

Thanki you

Tobel

6/7/17
Im still surprised that I haven't seen any picture - and I've looked - of a gen with the similar effect. On some pictures you can see it but just a little, nothing compared to what I notice. (BTW judging on TD's pics the MKF has the same issue). Is that something that can be fixed? Thanks

iskillio

12/9/14
Lol. People like you really shouldn't own reps. Just buy a gen that way even with the flaws that ALL gens have because nothing in this world is perfect. You can at least know it's gen even with the flaws.

In the end enjoy this hobby for what it is, a hommage. You will never fool any real collector or enthusiast with any rep. You know what's a more glaring flaw. Your watch thickness, dial color and a decorated movement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cristobal

Tobel

6/7/17
Lol. People like you really shouldn't own reps. Just buy a gen that way even with the flaws that ALL gens have because nothing in this world is perfect. You can at least know it's gen even with the flaws.

In the end enjoy this hobby for what it is, a hommage. You will never fool any real collector or enthusiast with any rep. You know what's a more glaring flaw. Your watch thickness, dial color and a decorated movement.

I was wondering when someone condescending like you would make such a comment. As you can see I did not criticize the rep, I think it's a great rep. Now just like probably hundreds of people here, I'm trying to make my reps as close to gen as possible. That's why people spend time, effort and money into modding or frankening. You have a few examples of great members here who have invested in gen dials just to push this hobby to the next level. And neither they nor I are judging either people or reps themselves. And since you don't know me nor why I do this, please don't just accuse me of trying to pass it as gen. There's a lot of people here who could buy the gen tomorrow if they felt like it, so I'm not sure why you are being so stereotypical.

Now that this is said, I'm very interested in getting real rep amateurs' point of view and suggestions, this forum is amazing in that regards. People who have nothing to contribute to the debate, I suggest you go be nasty elsewhere.

Keylog74

14/6/13

First of all you look like the guy who buys fakes to fool people. 0 knowledge to add and rude comments on something you have no clue about.

Tobel

You don’t see it because capture photos on the best way possible but is there.

Look , under normal circumstances the crystal reflects the case color

ce5cc0a49028ed80c591acd91aa92b64.jpg
229fd3524124b87b0c384226ec74be0e.jpg
de45f669590b640ebe33acff6319d45d.jpg

Now check the “gen”

344deb8ace0caa49118e55ac0992c5c9.jpg

iskillio

12/9/14
First of all you look like the guy who buys fakes to fool people. 0 knowledge to add and rude comments on something you have no clue about.

Tobel

You don’t see it because capture photos on the best way possible but is there.

Look , under normal circumstances the crystal reflects the case color

ce5cc0a49028ed80c591acd91aa92b64.jpg
229fd3524124b87b0c384226ec74be0e.jpg
de45f669590b640ebe33acff6319d45d.jpg

Now check the “gen”

344deb8ace0caa49118e55ac0992c5c9.jpg
While I agree that my statement isn't a contribution in a positive manner, your observational skills make it apparent that English isn't your primary language. Me being disgruntled by the influx of pointless posts on this forum from people who could easily Google search an image is my reason for writing. While it wasn't necessarily a positive response. It actually highlights more important flaws.

As far as judging my character off of that is laughable and shows your immaturity or lack of understanding. Don't worry young man, I'll rebuttal with the same immaturity, I have a 200k car and I have plenty of gens like as some other members on this forum but please judge further behind a keyboard. In my circle it's the opposite, I show my friends the replicas to show how suprisingly good they are for the money since I don't have to "fake" it if I want it.

Anyhow just clarifying my position. No need to get into a pointless internet argument. I appreciate and respect your contribution to the forums with the DWO project and more.

Last edited:

Keylog74

14/6/13
No need to get into a pointless internet argument

Than, dont you think giving the answer to someone with a genuine question would have been better? Thanks for the kind words btw they very much appreciated.

Reactions: BlackJaguar

Tobel

6/7/17
While I agree that my statement isn't a contribution in a positive manner, your observational skills make it apparent that English isn't your primary language. Me being disgruntled by the influx of pointless posts on this forum from people who could easily Google search an image is my reason for writing. While it wasn't necessarily a positive response. It actually highlights more important flaws.

As far as judging my character off of that is laughable and shows your immaturity or lack of understanding. Don't worry young man, I'll rebuttal with the same immaturity, I have a 200k car and I have plenty of gens like as some other members on this forum but please judge further behind a keyboard. In my circle it's the opposite, I show my friends the replicas to show how suprisingly good they are for the money since I don't have to "fake" it if I want it.

Anyhow just clarifying my position. No need to get into a pointless internet argument. I appreciate and respect your contribution to the forums with the DWO project and more.

Where to start...

1/ I have spent hours trying to find images or videos of the gen with the same white border and didn't find any, hence this thread 2/ your posts highlights thickness, colour and the decorated miyota which are the flaws that everyone knows about and have been discussed many time. So it's still useless
3/judging your character based on your post is laughable? Why would you judge mine based on the same principle then? You don't have to fake it if you want it? Good for you. Why would you assume I do?

No need to have a pointless internet debate indeed, but you don't get to come here, criticize and get judgemental.

Now please leave this thread alone, I'm trying to have a real conversation with nice people.

Tobel

6/7/17
@keylog thanks mate, appreciate the detailed response. What I see on your pics is indeed what I saw on Google, the gen does have a border like the PF, except that it does not seem to capture the light the same way and create that white frame. It looks more transparent.

gilrob yes, for the above reason I was thinking about something along these lines. This would explain the identical shape but different light refraction.

Are gen xtals usually polished? And if so is that something that can be done on a rep's crystal without altering its dimensions?

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Hmm looking at your photos and photos of the real one I think gilrob is right. The sides of the crystal aren't polished and/or there is no ar refractive coating put there to prevent reflections? I think if its polished AND a coating is applied it shouldn't come out white like that under light.

Tobel

6/7/17
Hmm looking at your photos and photos of the real one I think gilrob is right. The sides of the crystal aren't polished and/or there is no ar refractive coating put there to prevent reflections? I think if its polished AND a coating is applied it shouldn't come out white like that under light.

Thanks mate. The gen has no AR coating but yes I'm wondering about the polishing as well now that you guys are mentioning it. Not sure whether this can be modded though

DoctorDark

Known Member
16/2/19
Los Angeles
Hmm the gen doesn't have AR coating? That's surprising.
As for modding it... I think? it can be modded. Most crystals are locked into place from underneath the bezel. Your issue comes from the part of the crystal neighboring it from above though modding it MIGHT cause it lose what little water resistance it already had or make the crystal loose. Best option would be to create an entirely new modded sapphire crystal to replace it? I'm not sure

Tobel

6/7/17
No AR, some brands - Rolex as well for example - prefer that their crystals reflect the light as it's more shiny this way.

I'll reach out to prof who's an expert on crystals, he may have more information on what's possible.

Thanks

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Many of these rep PP crystals are glued in. The white discoloration you are seeing is the glue.

Tobel

6/7/17
Many of these rep PP crystals are glued in. The white discoloration you are seeing is the glue.

Now that's interesting, as it means it could potentially be fixed with another crystal. Thanks!