• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ZF Aquanaut stopped working

sofipok

Looking Around
1/10/13
Hi Everyone,

I bought the ZF aquanaut from TrustyTime about a month ago. When it arrived the movement was stopped and wouldn't kickstart by winding it, I asked the dealer who suggested me to tap it firmy on my palm a few times and it worked. This is basically how I kickstarted it everytime I wanted to wear the watch.
But now it won't start anymore, I tried winding it and tap it but nothing will get the movement going.

Has anyone experienced something similar and if yes what is the best course of action?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: vcappp

baia64

I'm Pretty Popular
28/5/16
Italia
Rispedirlo al TD o portarlo ad un orologiaio locale potrebbe avere dello sporco che blocca il movimento.

cyberceo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/10/18
Am facing the same issue with this ZF and it stops working after a while randomly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xpresso

Known Member
18/2/17
I heard from my dealer all ZF 324SC have similar issues on random stopping, and suggest me to pick a KMF aquanaut. I need to reconsider on that now...:(

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
Have you hand wound it? The rotors on these are very light and struggle to auto wind the watch.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Have you hand wound it? The rotors on these are very light and struggle to auto wind the watch.

So the rotor is light weighted and does not feel genlike? A better rotor should be like 2-3 grams heavy to truly function for a uni-directional movement. This one is probably 1~gram heavy. Not good. Does it fit better if you put some oil/grease on it?

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
So the rotor is light weighted and does not feel genlike? A better rotor should be like 2-3 grams heavy to truly function for a uni-directional movement. This one is probably 1~gram heavy. Not good. Does it fit better if you put some oil/grease on it?

No it’s unidirection, it’s easy for it to spin and not wind the watch, but barely heavy enough to overcome the winding resistance.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
No it’s unidirection, it’s easy for it to spin and not wind the watch, but barely heavy enough to overcome the winding resistance.

exactly, that is why 9015 is so bad. Is it possible to replace the rotor with a heavier one?

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I have absolutely no issues with my KMF rotor. Winds super well. It sounds to me like your hands might be touching eachother, have you checked that?

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK
exactly, that is why 9015 is so bad. Is it possible to replace the rotor with a heavier one?

The 9015 is a very good cheap movement. When modified and fitted into a very slim case on the limits of of its tolerances/clearances is when the issues can crop up. Are you manually winding the watch via the crown for 30-40 full turns? If you are and it’s still stopping the oscillating weight isn’t your issue.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
The 9015 is a very good cheap movement. When modified and fitted into a very slim case on the limits of of its tolerances/clearances is when the issues can crop up. Are you manually winding the watch via the crown for 30-40 full turns? If you are and it’s still stopping the oscillating weight isn’t your issue.

I am not the OP and have not bought the watch yet.

Francoboy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/8/17
Mine works perfectly fine. I have used it everyday for 6 months now. The best purchase I have ever made

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
Mine works perfectly fine. I have used it everyday for 6 months now. The best purchase I have ever made

+1 on this. I've also had mine since September and had no problem whatsoever. When purchasing any ZF product you gotta pay a lot more attention during QC and hope to be among the lucky ones who get an amazing looking and working watch.

grahamo87

Horology Curious
6/7/18
My ZF has been working fine thus far. However, the datewheel is off once you get to the 20's so I usually do not wear it. It starts right back up at the beginning of the month.

Salmonerd

Horology Curious
9/7/19
Happened to me as well! Worked perfectly for 2 weeks then all of a sudden it stopped and won’t wind. I’m waiting to hear back from PT to determine next steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Same issue. I had a ZF aquanut in january and it stopped working. It’s become my $400 paper weight now.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI