• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava is out

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
BIONONE explained it very well. I can't explain it better, as i have never tried a ziczac strap. Because i'm based in Europe i don't want the long waiting time and risk of paying customs delaying it further etc. So i normally choose either Jacobstraps (Spain), Camille Fournet (France) and Jean Rousseau (France). You can really tell why Breguet, Patek Phillippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre, MB & F and other high end brands use CF as their supplier of straps. The quality is unique. What you get is a strap that lifts the rep to a level its hard to question wether its a rep.

Just FYI: I’m based in Germany and ordered twice from ziczac already. Shipping took around 7 business days each time and the package had a sticker on it which said “duty free”.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Just FYI: I’m based in Germany and ordered twice from ziczac already. Shipping took around 7 business days each time and the package had a sticker on it which said “duty free”.

i think the point was also once the german customs go nuts on you for importing unregistered exotic leather goods you don't want to deal a second time with this hassle.

i think EU based strap makers are awesome - which doesn't mean asian straps or straps outside of the EU are less preferable. But customs and regulations are a relevant point when ordering such things.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

Thank you mate. How long will they take to make the strap? How is the quality.

Last edited:

Xabo

Known Member
27/3/19
Germany
jm_brc_7057 Cheeps Oh man, I love this community everybody is so dedicated and helpful! I´m located in Europe(Germany) as well. I see the thing with waiting time and I fell in love with the CF straps anyways, so probably I gonna go for them.
On the other side $50 bucks for a custom made croco strap seems also fair, so I will give it a shot. Thank you so much guys!

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
jm_brc_7057 Cheeps Oh man, I love this community everybody is so dedicated and helpful! I´m located in Europe(Germany) as well. I see the thing with waiting time and I fell in love with the CF straps anyways, so probably I gonna go for them.
On the other side $50 bucks for a custom made croco strap seems also fair, so I will give it a shot. Thank you so much guys!

Jacobstraps will make you a custom handmade for around 160 euro. He takes around 4-5 weeks to make the strap and delivery with DHL is <24 hours (not kidding).

Last edited:
Reactions: Xabo

Tobel

6/7/17

I've tried ziczac and while they re a step up compared to rep straps, it's clearly not at the level of a Jacob strap, and even less of a CF. If you really want the gen like quality go for CF. If you want something that is already premium then Jacob is a good deal. Just my opinion of course

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I've tried ziczac and while they re a step up compared to rep straps, it's clearly not at the level of a Jacob strap, and even less of a CF. If you really want the gen like quality go for CF. If you want something that is already premium then Jacob is a good deal. Just my opinion of course

Great input there. Thanks for clarifying that. Just what i thought, but needed to be confirmed...

Xabo

Known Member
27/3/19
Germany

Thanks mate. I think I go than for CF. 50 bucks more for the gen like quality should be worth it at this level.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Tobel

6/7/17
Thanks mate. I think I go than for CF. 50 bucks more for the gen like quality should be worth it at this level.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Only 50 bucks difference? I'm surprised. Last time I checked Jacob was more like 100 or 150 euros, CF was 250 for ready to wear and 300 for custom. Has that changed?

Xabo

Known Member
27/3/19
Germany
Only 50 bucks difference? I'm surprised. Last time I checked Jacob was more like 100 or 150 euros, CF was 250 for ready to wear and 300 for custom. Has that changed?

You are right. I just confound Jean Rosseau with Jacobstraps.

As far as I see it is like this:

Jacob: 143 €

Jean Rosseau: 210 €

CF: 258 € (and by far the biggest choice)

Sorry for spreading false information mate!

Last edited:
Reactions: Time_Wizard

Tobel

6/7/17

CM: 258 € (and by far the biggest choice)

Aha non worries, it would have been good news if CF had dropped their prices ;) too bad!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

CF: 258 € (and by far the biggest choice)

230 euro * for Camille Fournet for a standard, not customized strap (=258 USD) :)

Reactions: Xabo

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I got my ZF Sector dial, compared it with my gen dial - gen dial has a finer 'silver' pattern, and grabs WAY more light. ZF's looks like just a white dial in the shade. Gen dial's logo isn't as crisp as ZF though :rofl:

_DSC0796987e78ed3bb110fc.jpg

_DSC07988d2b67e255f3c901.jpg

_DSC0801f8753b7741d23b93.jpg

_DSC0800bafc463cd55c51c8.jpg

Gen dial in same sunlight:
_DSC0804b30d42e0187a6fa4.jpg

0C17C377-483F-4C6C-B4C8-E850F74602626d661b9c33aaaafa.jpg

967407D7-224A-42D6-8E69-55D1F00DD9268b9af3bfa8571d11.jpg

Comparison vid (really shows the differences well)
https://imgur.com/sJqqdhw

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
majwilliams0308 great pictures and video. Really shows the difference. And it's actually huge. Not every day we get such a comparison.
Fantastic you got the gen dial! You are the King of gen dials :D

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
I got my ZF Sector dial, compared it with my gen dial - gen dial has a finer 'silver' pattern, and grabs WAY more light. ZF's looks like just a white dial in the shade. Gen dial's logo isn't as crisp as ZF though :rofl:

Comparison vid (really shows the differences well)
https://imgur.com/sJqqdhw

Excellent video. Really demonstrates the difference between the dials. I'm not sure it will stop me purchasing as the sector dial calatrava is one of my grail watches.

Also noticed in your vid the colour of the blue hands when the sunlight hits them. Actually looks great :)

SpootyPuff

I'm Pretty Popular
19/6/10
majwilliams0308 Thanks for the pics and vid!! Certainly harder to make up my mind getting this.
Are there any circumstances that show the gray-silvery sections of the rep dial more?
Or is it mostly just plain white with a hint of the gray/silver in limited angles?