• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Brief Aquanaut Review

treble777

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/1/11
Hello all. It's been a few weeks since I received my Patek Aquanaut from Lay, and I've been meaning to put up a few pictures and thoughts on the watch so far, so here we go.

SOjXz.jpg

The first thing which attracted me to this watch was the unusual shape - not quite circular and not quite square - and the fact it's less than a centimetre in depth, making it perfect for tucking under shirt cuffs.

The first thing that struck me about the watch was the brushed bezel. As the photo above shows, when it catches the light, it really shines. It contrasts perfectly with the black dial, and gives the piece a really classy look.

XjtZJ.jpg

Speaking of the dial, the grid pattern gives the watch a really unique feel (it actually reminds me of the sort of pattern you'd see on a map of the world). In some lights the dial appears to be a very rich black, and in others an almost grey colour. The date sits nicely in the window (although some dates seem to sit slightly too high, a fact I only noticed when another member PM'd me about theirs.)

The polished lugs offset the brushed bezel beautifully, and push this watch even further into the 'luxury sport' watch category.

TILU0.jpg

oSULp.jpg

The clasp is fantastic. Not only does it look impressive, with the Patek logo joining up when closed, but it pops off in a very satisfying way when you squeeze the two triggers. One minor gripe I have with the strap though, is that to size it, you have to actually cut the rubber, which means once it's sized, you can only ever make it smaller. This isn't a problem if you make sure to size it carefully, however I cut mine slightly too much, meaning the watch is a little tighter than I'd have liked. To anybody who possesses more patience than a hyperactive four year-old, this won't be a problem.

Q27to.jpg

The movement, though inaccurate, looks great, and to anybody who has never seen a genuine looks good enough.

bBRaV.jpg

The crown is quite nice, and it feels secure once screwed in. The detail is perhaps a little 'smudgy', but this is only apparent in photographs. In person it's so tiny you'd need to actually study it to find fault.

Well, that's my review. Very brief I know. My overall thoughts are that this is a really well-made watch, and justifies the price tag. The chances of meeting a real-life Patek in the wild are very slim, so you're unlikely to encounter any embarrassing situations, but then again because of their rarity, any watch enthusiasts will be tremendously excited to see yours. If this happens I'd advise not taking it off your wrist as the caseback is a dead giveaway (just make excuses about it costing an arm and a leg and that you'd rather not take it off I suppose.)

If you'd like to see any more pictures just let me know and I'll do my best to snap a few more. Hope you enjoyed this :lol:

automatics

4/11/10
Nice review.
Found this movement shot from the web.
(if it's anybody's & needs to be removed - let me know)

PatekAquanaut026.jpg

At least the rotor is on it's way there.
Engraved logo vs. Stickered. But nice looking movement nonetheless.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Nice review, thank you for that. The Aquanaut is on my wishlist...

What movement do you have? 21j?

treble777

3/1/11
The movement as far as I know is a Swiss ETA 2824. I've heard some people saying it's better not to bother with the Swiss ETA as many of them won't really be Swiss, but this is the only one Lay sells.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
got a pic of the movement and I'll ID it - nice find on the gen movement pic btw!

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
That clasp looks damn cool. What's the size of those beauties?

samura

19/12/08
Whooaa, this is a watch, no offense to others brands. Can you tell us how much did you paid?

Celt

Renowned Member
12/4/10
Next one on my list :) this one is around 370 if I am correct, the size is 40mm.
I will take one on steel bracelet and buy the rubber strap along to swap whenever I want

samura

19/12/08
$370 it's a deep plunge, if only they'd made it a 21J...

Celt

Renowned Member
12/4/10
I think that there are cheaper ones but this is the best version

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
really nice! I like it!

ricou2273

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/10
thanks for this review.

i'm interrested by this aquanaut but maybe i will take with the two strap metal and rubber.

By

arcadia

11/8/11
What's the tell on the caseback? Other tells of a rep from a gen?

Celt

Renowned Member
12/4/10
You can see the movement and of course it is nothing like the gen

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
What's the tell on the caseback? Other tells of a rep from a gen?

The actual movement would be a tell to the few who can tell one movement from another.

However the Patek movements and rotors have extensive, deep and crisp engravings. Here there is one sticker only.
To me that is the biggest tell.

arcadia

11/8/11
Thanks. So if someone is selling me his aquanaut with front photos only, my only tell will be the square second hand. However, there's a new version now where it's fixed to an arrow hand. So what will be my tell in the front? Sorry bro, just expanding now with patek.

The actual movement would be a tell to the few who can tell one movement from another.

However the Patek movements and rotors have extensive, deep and crisp engravings. Here there is one sticker only.
To me that is the biggest tell.

enrub

Looking Around
1/12/10
Nice watch. Would like one myself. Which rep dealer did you get it from ? I did a search on the guy you mentioned "Lay?" and came up with ziltch. Cheers