• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Godfathar's Advice On Which Is The Best Aquanaut Jumbo Out There

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Dear members, newly joined, or the ones that have been here for a while and perhaps are not very familiar with the Patek Philippe reps.. I have been contacted literally by hundreds of members in the past year via PM. Some even have 0 posts, and others that have their weight in the community here. Many of them were seeking my advice for wanting to buy the best Patek Philippe Aquanaut rep out there.

First of all, I need to clarify something; my views on this thread are of only mine. The reader should understand that those views do not necessarily agree with what you think, and you might have different views, which is completely alright. A second thing I want to clarify especially for the new comers in the rep world, those grading systems of a rep being 1:1 with gen or with A++ quality is bogus, there is no such thing. Each rep has its flaws, and you will never ever find a 1:1 rep to gen, if you want a 1:1 I suggest you stop reading and go buy a gen. Also if you buy through our trusted dealers, you definitely see the quality is reflected in the price, without having to say it’s A and A++, and so on.. If you search for a certain watch and find a cheap version and another version that is much more expensive, here is your proof. The cheaper will have a cheaper movement and most likely the factory won’t take extra efforts to make the rep looks closer to gen. where the higher priced rep you will find a better quality movement, better attention to detail.

With having said that, let’s talk about the 5167 Aquanaut. The version I will talk about is the rose gold version, as it is the one I chose. I never bought the SS, so You are gonna have to ask someone that did.

PSX_20150609_143244_01.jpg

The Aquanaut Jumbo is one of the most sought after Patek today, and the reason is that is it the most affordable version watch, and it’s the company’s intro in the market. This watch can be compared to normally priced Rolexes.. the next level Pateks will jump almost double the price of the 5167 Aquanaut. But the rose gold version is not considered intro priced, it is only the SS that is.

Now for me, I looked at many different versions of the watch, there are few miyota versions out there, and now also the decorated thicker version is introduced.. but after all the research I did, I found from other well established members that the SW200 version is made very close to gen. the dial color is spot on, the date font is really extremely close, and the overall look is closer than the other versions. Only issue is that the price is a bit hefty, and many are not willing to pay the $500 price tag. Also if you hate the sound of the spin from the rotor, I urge you to stay away from the Miyota versions in general, and especially the thicker decorated ones at they are not only noisy, but also could be seen from far that it is thick. At least with the trained eyes like mine now..

While at it, if you are contemplating between the RG and the SS because of your scare of the RG changing color, I will rest your mind. I have the RG 5167 Aquanaut for over a year now.. I have been taking a good care of her, wiping it from sweat from the places that touches my skin every time I wear it, and until today, the watch is intact. Perfect and without any discoloration. And hopefully it will stay this way as long as you take extra care of it.

untitled.png

20150804_213214_01.jpg

So to conclude, After all this time and few new 5167 models coming out V.3 V4 and so on, to me, I still think that the 5167 Aquanaut SW200 V2 from V6F factory is the best rep you can buy today. As most of the flaws are tackled very well, and the dial color and the date font are on point. It won’t have any faults staring at you, no wrong dial color like the Miyota, no wrong date font, not a thick case, all those boxes will be checked. Last couple of pics are the watch on a brown Perlon strap, which gave the watch a completely new look, very summery look.

20150825_193931_01.jpg

20151014_104515_01.jpg

Now from now on, when I get asked by PM to help with finding the best Nautilus, I will just add the link to this post, and have the discussion here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/12/15
Thanks Godfathar, we all appreciate your posts more than you can imagine.

So your recommendation is the SW200 V2 from V6 factory. Would you say it applies for the SS also?

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Thank you for another helpful write-up.

I do have a question about the crown & tube quality on these and the Nautilus reps. I remember reading somewhere that the threads are pretty poor and can strip very easily. Is this still the case, or have the factories addressed this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
Thank you for another helpful write-up.

I do have a question about the crown & tube quality on these and the Nautilus reps. I remember reading somewhere that the threads are pretty poor and can strip very easily. Is this still the case, or have the factories addressed this?

Not with the ones I have.. the only one that I have noticed that is a bit flimsy and now I am taking more care when opening it is the crown & tube on the Nautilus 5980A that I have talked about in the other thread. The 5711 and 5167 are great.

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Not with the ones I have.. the only one that I have noticed that is a bit flimsy and now I am taking more care when opening it is the crown & tube on the Nautilus 5980A that I have talked about in the other thread. The 5711 and 5167 are great.

Thank you! Appreciate the information!

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Other than installing gen straps, double AR, and lubing the rotors to quieter them down, have you done any modding or frankening of these, or are parts hard to come by and astronomically expensive?

tuma2806

Horology Curious
29/5/15
thanks a lot for the information . i just saw the V3 on intime, beside the thicker of the movement any flaws on the dial you can tell me?? like is there correct DW or pattern...

willstrang

Horology Curious
23/2/16
Just purchased this BP miyota decorated movement and thickness looks good to me. Also had it serviced and no noise from movement. Decorated movement looks great as well! Very happy with it. That perlon strap looks great on yours, may have to get one!

a22242128647c9354c5459587b1fe730.jpg

b18a44f7a5c4dcba7c946ef06421ea84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmy6

Renowned Member
1/4/12
The gen should be around ~8,5mm if I remember correctly. Btw could you check if the clasp still has the "stainless steel" engraving on your rg version?

willstrang

Horology Curious
23/2/16
Yes has got the stainless steel engraving. Do you know what the thickness of the SW200 is out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark3

Renowned Member
27/7/14
Great posts Godfathar. You make more people go and buy patek reps

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G901F met Tapatalk

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
@Godfathar http://www.intime.co/patek-philippe...ial-on-black-rubber-strap-miyota-9015-pp324cs this one and i think it's the same one Willstrang just post the photo. Does it have the correct font and size DW :(

With this version, I am not worried about the DW.. the Arabic numerals on the dial are done badly on this version you should me on the link. the lume job is awful, and the numerals are thick and not in a great shape. look at the pic of a gen and compare the numerals, totally off.. not clean at all, and to me I'll spot them a mile away.. on the other hand on the SW200 are much closer to gen and very clean, also the size is so close to the numerals on the gen.

RTpWCV6.jpg

That's my personal opinion of course. if this doesn't bother you, I truly wish you to enjoy it in good health :D

tuma2806

Horology Curious
29/5/15
[MENTION=102925]Godfathar[/MENTION] thanks you so much for taking your time to answer me, and more thankful if you could show me the link of some TDs have the sw200, i try to find it on intime but couldn't :(