• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Homage 1941 Ref. 3646 Bloody Radiomir Dial Panerai Watch

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
Hello,

This project is very special to me because it’s the first 3646 watch in my collection to be assembled.

For inspiration, I used this genuine 3646 RP watchbecause of its lovely dark red patina at the numbers and markers. It’s a stunning watch!

CASE:
Nightwatch - case with inside and outside welded lugs. I did not do any work to it, no “battle” scars, nothing. Just like as it is. Movement holder is aged and it looks like 80 years old (Gordon’s work). Crown tube is also soldered to the case like in old days.

Also, this watch has Nightwatch lead gaskets installed.

DIAL:
Nightwatch- this is a 2 piece anodized dial (dial and plexi inlay).
Thickness of the dial with plexi inlay is around 1.2mm. To make a 3 piece dial (2mm), I decided to make 37mm brass plate (0.5mm). Using DIY dial feet soldering machine, I soldered the dial feet. I managed to get around 2mm dial by adding a thick layer of lume and then sand it down to get a perfect height.

PLEXI INLAY:
To get this dark red color, I used iDye Poly (Crimson color). It took me about 10 minutes. I inserted the plexi into the solution for about 15 seconds and that’s it. I poured it into the fresh water, let it dry out and then applied lume on the back of the insert.

RP ENGRAVINGS:
Engravings are filled with white out paint and then excess paint was removed with paint thinner.

HANDS:
Athaya- Tall tube plated blue hands. I know it’s not genuine way, but I could not find anywhere tall tube heated blue hands to get. I do have several pairs of NW heated blue hands, and in near future I will try to make tall tubes and then install them to the hands. It will drive me insane until I do it. J

MOVEMENT:
Cortebert 616. My watchmaker serviced the movement and now runs great! Also, due to 616 winding stem being 1.5mm diameter, I had to get from Athaya’s website a winding stem with 1.2mm diameter to go with NW 1.2 crown.

CASEBACK:
Caseback is solid like in old days. No engravings outside of the case, just plain and simple.

STRAP:
Manufacture Serioso collection. This Italian leather is 30+ years old and it was used for fine hand gloves in old days. It’s soft and very comfortable to wear on the wrist. MS did an excellent job with this strap and I think its fits this watch pretty good. Strap comes with patina Stainless Steel Buckle with “GPF – Mod Def” engravings and little MS logo on the other side of the buckle.

I think I covered everything about the watch. If I missed something, let me know…

Here are more pictures:

I hope you like it and thank you for reading this post.

Cheers!

On to the next project!

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. When I read how this is done, it sounds so self-explanatory that it seems like even I can follow this tutorial. I am glad that I am a realist, and will not follow this feeling!

Reactions: Hazing and fan_pam

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
That looks great. I mean looks absolutely beautiful. I think I'd have to put a clear case back on it for daily wear just to be able to look at the movement.

I'm reading through this thread and not sure if I kissed it but how did you not include a wrist shot? Let's see it. Also in the sunlight as nothing beats natural light for pics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
That looks great. I mean looks absolutely beautiful. I think I'd have to put a clear case back on it for daily wear just to be able to look at the movement.

I'm reading through this thread and not sure if I kissed it but how did you not include a wrist shot? Let's see it. Also in the sunlight as nothing beats natural light for pics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I haven't done research yet who makes display casebacks for Nightwatch cases, but if you know, please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Only thing need to be done on this watch is faux CP, which I know how to do (HF helped).

Here is watch under the sun...

344929d2b8103ba270ce6d6cd81eeb10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazing

inamese

Horology Curious
28/8/20
Z9X6bs.jpg
Z9XrUY.jpg

may i know how you make the crown with logo?

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Excellent build OP, the plastic dye stuff is very interesting.
Is there a way to fine tune color?

Last edited:

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
Excellent build OP, the plastic dye stuff is very interesting.
Is there a way to fine tune color?

Thank you for your kind words 3646 master watchmaker. :)

I assume that color would go darker if you leave it longer inside the iDye Poly solution. I had it for about 10-15 seconds and it came out dark.

I used this tutorial for using iDye:

https://youtu.be/lGUf1VpvICI

If you mean polishing and make it clear, I honestly don’t know.. Maybe when I start building Kamphschwimmer watch I will try to mix Orange and Brown iDye Poly and later try to polish to see if I can make it clearer.

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
Great build!

Consider upgrading your crystal to a Sternkreuz. I personally like the fit and profile of the N (39.4): https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/domed-low-sternkreuz-n

These are substantially better than the stock crystals on the Nitewatch cases.

Thank you for the information.

Do you by any chance know which diameter Crystal do I need? Is it pressure fit or do I need to to use watchmaker glue to install?

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20

Do you by any chance know which diameter Crystal do I need? Is it pressure fit or do I need to to use watchmaker glue to install?

Sorry, you answered my question... 39.4....

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18

I allowed mine to be pressure fit without glue. I achieved 3atm pressure testing. Good enough for my use of this particular watch.
I use a crystal lift to install. The 39.4 does require a fair bit of compression to fit but it does fit without sanding, etc.

fan_pam

Known Member
25/4/20
UPDATE:

I just want to update you on finalising my 3646 watch. Last thing that needed to be done is faux CP to the minute hand.

I was given very helpful information from HF forum on how to faux CP my minute hand.

While I was researching dowel pins (first option and recommendation from HF) on eBay, I figured that I could use 1mm diameter needle instead (eBay would take 1-2 months for dowel pins to arrive). I found 1mm needle at my house and I started working. :)

I sand a needle down a little and cut it to where a hand has “little” pressure fit with the needle.

I cut 2mm long piece and then sand it down to 1mm (or less) piece. With pliers I installed and pressed little piece into the hand...

So..... final result....

Reactions: Blshh

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
UPDATE:

I just want to update you on finalising my 3646 watch. Last thing that needed to be done is faux CP to the minute hand.

I was given very helpful information from HF forum on how to faux CP my minute hand.

While I was researching dowel pins (first option and recommendation from HF) on eBay, I figured that I could use 1mm diameter needle instead (eBay would take 1-2 months for dowel pins to arrive). I found 1mm needle at my house and I started working. :)

I sand a needle down a little and cut it to where a hand has “little” pressure fit with the needle.

I cut 2mm long piece and then sand it down to 1mm (or less) piece. With pliers I installed and pressed little piece into the hand...

So..... final result....

Very well done, this is an often overlooked detail but it adds a lot to the build imho