• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai Crown Seperated From Stem?

Wookie Weed

Horology Curious
29/3/20
I have a random rep that looks like the crown is separated from the stem. I can only set the watch backwards. I'm wondering if the stem is held in place with a set screw and the crown is popping out but I don't know what I'm looking at. If anyone knows what movement this is I'd really appreciate it as well!

77Wbepv.jpg

Wookie Weed

Horology Curious
29/3/20
Hey looks like you're correct, appears to be Seagull ST2555 (sec @ 9)​​​​​​. Now to buy a new movement but without the decorations or track down a stem. I don't think I can use a stem extender with the condition my crown is in. https://m.imgur.com/a/waQHlN7
​​​​​​
I really appreciate the help, this forum is very helpful and awesome [h=2][/h]

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Do you still have the stem?

I recently had a smiliar issue and simply epoxied the stem to the crown and it's on there. I figured this would be a short term fix and I'd need something different.

I was going to try to find a new one to replace it and when I got to that point I started trying to pull apart the crown and stem apart but as I tried to take it apart it wasn't budging. I couldn't take it apart because it was fused together so well.

Considering it was so tight and not coming apart, I use the epoxied one still and it functions without a problem.

I hope that helps and it's relavent. I can't see the pics so not sure of the movement or condition or anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

nitocx

Renowned Member
18/10/14
It is an easy fix, instead of epoxi the crown, you can insert a little piece of rubber inside the crown tube, and then screw the winding stem, that way you can replace the crown and stem separately in case of a new service.

The rubber against the winding stem will give tension and keep the crown in position at counter clockise winding...There is a video of that trick in the web...it is an old watch Smith trick... I can upload a link later

Enviado desde mi SM-A505G mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Wookie Weed

Wookie Weed

Horology Curious
29/3/20
The rubber against the winding stem will give tension and keep the crown in position at counter clockise winding...There is a video of that trick in the web...it is an old watch Smith trick... I can upload a link later

Very interesting, would love to see more details. Appreciate it!

If all fails may epoxy as a quick fix, but the rubber idea sounds like it'd work if I could better visualize it. I'm still able to wind and set the watch backwards. Something to help the crown grip and put tension on the stem sounds like exactly what I need.
​​​

nitocx

Renowned Member
18/10/14
Very interesting, would love to see more details. Appreciate it!
​​​

https://youtu.be/6Us9wrVjsaE

Don't try to understand the language, but just watch the video from minute 3:00, it explains how to enlarge the winding stem using a piece os ring rubber...if you do it properly, and tiny amount of coutchcot rubber, you will get the same result, the rubber will grip around the winding stem giving extra tension to tighten the crown...

nitocx

Renowned Member
18/10/14
... the rubber idea sounds like it'd work if I could better visualize it. I'm still able to wind and set the watch backwards. Something to help the crown grip and put tension on the stem sounds like exactly what I need.
​​​

And how it finally ended?
Did it work?

Wookie Weed

Horology Curious
29/3/20
And how it finally ended?
Did it work?

Had trouble getting the stem to bite and screw into the crown with some rubber gasket put in the crown, not sure if I missed something. Did I need to do something to the stem or widen the crown? Epoxied with JB weld and there was still some pretty good flex which was disheartening. Put the stem back in and was able to wind the watch but I couldn't pull the crown out to set the time. Before I took it apart I could set it backwards now I can't set it at all. At least the movement still works, was worried I'd break it. I'm seriously worried I messed something up as I pulled the stem out in the time set position and as I pulled the stem out with the release button the movement clicked back on. I saw a bunch of comments on this video about how people messed up and pulled the stem when it wasn't in the time set position. The movement beats up now without the stem and has me worried I did what the comments mentioned even though I tried to keep it in the set position.

​​​​https://youtu.be/yrfhlChXT7c