• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch boxes - Let's see 'em, please (need polyethylene foam examples)

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I know there is a thread on storage and watch boxes but when I searched all I found is a Daytona thread and some other random thread from 2017. I think the search function is a little funky atm.

I am trying to do something with storage for non Panerai models and right now I am looking at that precut polyethylene foam insert for this space I have in mind. When I say precut, I mean that foam that is scored into little 1/2inch squares that can be plucked out.

But believe it or not, it's actually not easy (or not cheap I should say) to get a piece of foam that fits so I'd like to see if it works.

In the watch boxes people post, I am pretty. Sure I remember seeing that polyethylene foam with those gridded cut outs.

Please post so I can see.

And. Example if the type of foam I am looking into.

105e9d2343e6816755612c3ede75b53a.jpg
e6e817891c5dad49fb41ad873c7777d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

Hazing

9/5/19
I found a guy/company who said he can make me one custom so actually, I would appreciate pics of watch boxes so I can see size and spacing of the cutouts too.

nicmend

Certified
24/3/18
I found a guy/company who said he can make me one custom so actually, I would appreciate pics of watch boxes so I can see size and spacing of the cutouts too.

I was looking myself to get something similar. It also should be really easy to make.

Check this out https://www.google.com/amp/s/dlmag.com/diy-watch-box-with-pelican-case/amp/

Unfortunately peli cases are pretty expensive where I live but there are similar ones. I am just afraid they won't have the same quality

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Yeah... That's exactly it.

So I was looking to get some of that foam and bounce between just dropping it in the foam with the cut out pieces or trying to build somethibg.

I was amazed how difficult it is to find the foam. I went to 7 places - the ups store, fed ex, a big crafts store, a party store, Walmart, staples, target, uhaul. Nothing.

I found a place online that has the square foam I need but shipping is as much as the piece itself. Which I don't mind but I heard they fall apart easily and foam like that won't last for sustained, repeated use of moving the watch in and out.

So then I found and talked to this guy (company) on the internet and he said they'll make it exactly the way I want. For whatever I want.

It's similar to the polyethylene foam but sturdier and made for repeated use. So it should last because it's meant to be used repeatedly. And I can set it up exactly the way I want.

I'm just trying to figure out what that is. Like how much spack I want and need for each watch and between.

They guy in that article makes Valid points though.

I also have this just regular cheap watch box that I placed in the drawer and it works and makes me think maybe I should Just make something out of wood and cardboard.

Just to give you an idea of what I want to do I attached a Pic of the tool chest I use.
I put Panerai watches in top shallow drawers. And you can see that bottom drawer - I figure that was perfect for like a more traditional watch box type setup. that's where I'm looking to put models that don't lie flat as well. So esentwilly it would be like the case pictured in the article you linked. Just placed into the drawer instead of a case.

Know what I mean?
6bc4ecc8f88fead00ead2fe215172748.jpg
156769b9d7b871f6c4682098179cb21b.jpg
590696dcc6d17881fe08f71d35c81aff.jpg

Reactions: m5smg2 and mpx

nicmend

Certified
24/3/18
Beautiful chest of drawers there!
I do understand what you want, was not clear before this last post.

I guess it's going to be hard to find one that perfectly fits the drawer unless it's expressly done for it. Or maybe you can buy two/ three pieces of foam that put side by side are at least as big as the drawer and pluck out the extra foam.

You could try B&H as usually those cases are used for storing cameras, lenses drones ecc

It's probably easier to understand the dimensions and layout if you do it yourself, otherwise I would say 5cm slots for the watches and 2 cm space in between, so they don't all touch each other and look better imo.

As for durability, I thought they would last being used for professional photography. I imagine taking the camera in and out for every set / travel...
Probably there is more durable foam and pretty shi**y foam

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Yeah I know what you’re talking about. So I’m going to see how this guy comes back with the process of the foam made especially for this.

and that was part of the reason I want to see people’s cases with foam to see how they hold up as well. But if th guy who makes the foam inserts doesn’t work out, I’ll just make something myself. Probably out of wood.

TBK

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/09
EU
I've been thinking to make something like this as well.
Pelicase form Ali and the foam I can order at a local website. Didn't proceed yet because I really like to see my watches. So I'm contemplating more a show case option. Maybe a wall decoration..

Or I will go with the pelicase option after all.

Last edited:

Hazing

9/5/19
I wish I could find that thread where people posted their cases.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
I have a pelicase with 8 slots, nice DIY project I did some years ago, will try to find some pics

Reactions: Hazing

Hazing

9/5/19
this would be the closest thing. If you flip through you can see few members have pelicase.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...5-show-off-your-collection-in-one-shot/page35

Thank you.

yes, but we had a thread here where a bunch of members posted their boxes and there were a few in there that I was trying to find again as a point of reference but the search function wasn’t Working since the site went down last. I’ll search again later and Also look through that thread. Thank you.

EBE

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/10
Missouri
Here’s what my now mostly empty pelican style box looks like that I got off the bay.

db91379d6d363a76cf9926d7c108c8b7.jpg

3d60d8da5ab96f8f7895b23a7a65ae72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
Here’s what my now mostly empty pelican style box looks like that I got off the bay.

db91379d6d363a76cf9926d7c108c8b7.jpg

3d60d8da5ab96f8f7895b23a7a65ae72.jpg

awesome. Thank you. Was that just all full pick and pluck sections and you pulled out your own sections? If you get a chance can you measure the width of that for me? Across?

How are those sections holding up? The material isn’t breaking down from repeated use? Is it!

Hazing

9/5/19

Awesome. I though you were one of the guys with a setup like this. This is what I wanted to see.

I talked to a guy who makes special foam inserts for things - whether it is shipping cases or to hold speciality tools and they make stuff exactly like this. I was talking to him about the layout and seeing if they can make me a custom piece for the area where I want to put this. This is exactly what I want just cut and created for exactly my piece. And I’m guessing the material will look closer to this when it is all said and done. if it works out.

I asked EBE if the pluck and play foam holds up because he was telling me they break down easily and that’s why I should go with something like what he makes over the foam. But everyone I talked to says it holds up well.

what are the size of the squares?
If you don’t mind me asking.

EBE

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/10/10
Missouri
awesome. Thank you. Was that just all full pick and pluck sections and you pulled out your own sections? If you get a chance can you measure the width of that for me? Across?

How are those sections holding up? The material isn’t breaking down from repeated use? Is it!

Yes, it is all a full pick and pluck section and is approximately 10”x15” The cutout out sections are 5/8” squares and 3” deep. There’s another thin layer of foam underneath this layer. I basically took out a 2x4 section for each watch, which would have been approx. 1.5”x3”. I find that my watches fit perfectly almost perfectly for my 22-26mm straps in this configuration. I did take a 1x2 cutout and pushed them down to the bottom of each hole. So instead of 3” deep, it’s closer to 2.75” deep.

It’s hold up well.

I think I paid $68 for the case off of eBay.

Hazing

9/5/19
Ok... well....

I ended up contacting a company who makes the specially cut out inserts for tool drawers.

I spoke to somekne in June (like the 30th) and the designer was like "this is awesome. I'd love to do this. Its small and wont cost me anything because I can use a scrap piece of rubber. We're going to do this for free. Especially if we can use a Pic of it"

I told them that was fine but I know with free projects, people tend to lose interest and if he decided he needed to charge me That would be fine. He said that wouldn't be a concern.

And like 2 weeks passed and this guy ghosts.

So I just ordered some foam. I bought a piece to cap it off and haven't gotten there yet. But I think it works.
278e0e1a51d847ee53ae2759b52eabf6.jpg
ac8ea5337ed970b083e3e2ffe89acc91.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: @(^_^)@

Duc

I'm Pretty Popular
26/10/11
NYC
Not sure if it’s quite what you’re asking for but I built a simple divider set up in one of my dresser drawers. I have a false floor that sits on top of it and when I put a couple sweaters in there, it would be impossible to tell where I hid my watches.

Here’s a pic before it was filled up. I ultimately had to build a 4th row and then some: