• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai deployment clasp for leather strap

Mrpong

15/9/19
Hi

I'm looking for a deployment clasp for my leather strap and PAM389 (see pic). I tried a generic clasp but it turns out that my strap is too think (4mm) to get inserted in this clasp.

Are there any after-market clasps that can accept 4mm leather?

or How about any one of these?
https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/collections/deployment

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Your problem isn't the clasp, it's the strap. There are no deployment clasps that will accept a thick strap, even other brands such as IWC and Breitling do not work with thick straps. What you need to find are straps that are designed for deployment clasps. These are thin straps (maybe 1-1.5mm thick) which allows the long part to be threaded through the gap in the clasp. The part at the lug may be thicker but the part at the end needs to be thin.

Reactions: Mrpong

AmoryBlaine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/6/15
Your problem isn't the clasp, it's the strap. There are no deployment clasps that will accept a thick strap, even other brands such as IWC and Breitling do not work with thick straps. What you need to find are straps that are designed for deployment clasps. These are thin straps (maybe 1-1.5mm thick) which allows the long part to be threaded through the gap in the clasp. The part at the lug may be thicker but the part at the end needs to be thin.

That's not true at all. There are deployantes that can be disassembled and used in thick straps. I do not know if in that particular one it will be possible, but I have done it in many of that style.

Generic deployments for PAM, on the Strapco page, have a pin that can be removed. You place the disassembled part in the hole you deem appropriate to adjust the strap and then put the pin back on. Depending on the thickness, you will have to make more pressure or less, or even dispense with the two trim tubes that cover the pin.

Later I will post photos to illustrate my terrible explanation. (English is not my mother tongue)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Its "deployant" folks, a deployment is something one sends ones army on, a deployant is a fancy buckle for a watch strap.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
That's not true at all. There are deployantes that can be disassembled and used in thick straps. I do not know if in that particular one it will be possible, but I have done it in many of that style.

Generic deployments for PAM, on the Strapco page, have a pin that can be removed. You place the disassembled part in the hole you deem appropriate to adjust the strap and then put the pin back on. Depending on the thickness, you will have to make more pressure or less, or even dispense with the two trim tubes that cover the pin.

Later I will post photos to illustrate my terrible explanation. (English is not my mother tongue)

Please do post as it will help Mrpong . Take note that I am talking about the standard Panerai deployant clasp. trailboss99 point taken, but tell that to watchobsession, they are perpetuating the mis-use of the word deployment. :lol:

AmoryBlaine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/6/15
Thick double layer and deployant strap without decorative tubes.

imagedata.php

imagedata.php

"Middle" strap, for buckle, and deployant with decorative tubes. ​​​​​​
imagedata.php

imagedata.php

Thick double layer strap and alternative deployant. I use a generic Blancpain deployant for those that are very thick, as it closes much better than the generic Panerai. ​​​​​​
imagedata.php

imagedata.php

I hope the images speak for themselves. If not, ask!

Reactions: Str1xt