• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FGD Super Modded 202A vs. DSN 202A Comparison

Spikedlee

23/5/10
I finally picked up my grail watch the other day - a highly modded PAM 202A. Since I still have my DSN 202A I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to snap some pictures and allow members to compare the two via my pictures and comments. Since this is my first post here, I figured that I would start it with a BANG.

DSC01510.jpg

Here are the specifications on the modded 202A:

Eddie Lee No-Dimple Case w/ Pre-V Lug Holes Drilled
Sapphire Crystal
Ofrei Swiss 6497 Movement
FGD Dial
Gen CG
Jakob Caseback
DSN Hands (Soon to be FGD!)
T48 Crown
Entire Watch PVD Coated By Ziggy
Genuine Tritium Lume + Assembly by Ziggy
Simona Tan PAV Strap + PVD Buckle

DSC01460.jpg

Here are the specs of the DSN 202A:
Flattened CG Pin
Sapphire Crystal
Asian 6497 Movement
Case Completely Polished w/ Cape Cod
Frogman Re-Dyed PAV 99 Strap

DSC01461.jpg

INDOOR SHOTS:

DSC01507.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01501.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

OUTDOOR SHOTS:

DSC01479.jpg

DSC01471.jpg

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01475.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

Although from a distance it may be hard to distinguish the two watches, once you get a closer look it is very clear that the FGD is a far superior watch. The amazing dial is the first thing you should notice - The yellowish tritium lume, perfectly applied to the dial that gives off an amazing reflection when exposed to light in certain angles:
Example:
Normal Light:

239f9383.jpg

Angled Light:

a0e2f4f0.jpg

The dial's font has a glossier finish to it and really does demonstrate FGD's craftsmanship. The next obvious things to notice are the thicker T-48 crown, and the flawless execution of a genuine Panerai crownguard which align perfectly. The DSN crown suffers from the tapered ends making it look much thinner, while the crownguard, although looking pretty good from the front angle, from the side is far too thin.

Comparison of CG thickness:
DSC01450.jpg

Honestly, the PVD coating of both watches is pretty close. Although Ziggy's process pretty much involves how a genuine case would be coated, against a DSN case, once cape codded, is very similar. The only difference I can see is the Ziggy PVD is a shade lighter and not as glossy when compared to the DSN. You would have to really stare at the two together to see this though. DSN's stock PVD coating prior to being Cape Codded is more of a matte, dull finish. I would highly recommend the Cape Code mode for anyone who purchases the watch.

And of course, what Pre-V would be complete without Jacob's caseback. No need to explain this one, as the font, logo, and overall thickness of this compared to the DSN is far superior and very close to gen.

One thing that I think everyone wants to get a good look at is the genuine tritium lume. Below is a picture of the FGD (left) with tritium lume compared to the DSN "superlume":
DSC01513.jpg

The tritium lume is more accurate to gen, and is very cool to look at. With a normal charge in light, the lume will last throughout the night, although not as bright as the DSN.

Matched with tan straps as shown in my pictures, I think these are some awesome watches. To achieve a watch as great as the FGD 202A will cost you around $1500 compared to the DSN which can be purchased for $340 stock (Asian movement). For serious PAM enthusiasts, the only option is the super modded version. For everyone else, I think the DSN is a great option.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
modded 202 better numbers colors of course and the case (pvd) looks better as well. how much is that FGD dial and for how much does ziggy does the coating?? if u dont mind me asking

Spikedlee

23/5/10
The dial was $110 and the lume which included assembly of the parts was $150.

bwhitesox

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/4/06
Great post and welcome over to RWI mate.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
He is selling the 202 another place and if he wants he is more than welcome to sell it here. Spike is a good guy. And he did a helluva comparison. Thanks for posting it here man

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
That's one of the nicest Pre-V builds I've seen, without a doubt! Great score on that one, my friend. Looking really good. There simply is no substitute for one of FGD's dials...

Spikedlee

23/5/10
One thing that I think everyone wants to get a good look at is the genuine tritium lume. Below is a picture of the FGD (left) with tritium lume compared to the DSN "superlume":

DSC01513.jpg

The tritium lume is more accurate to gen, and is very cool to look at. With a normal charge in light, the lume will last throughout the night, although not as bright as the DSN.