• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 438 VSF Released with Super Clone P9001

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
I can say from the watch that I have that it's reliable. But then this is the original movement, an A7750 with decorative plates to make it look like a P.9000. That movement has been around a long time. Compared to this P.9001 V2 movement, which has been out less than a year. They cannot be compared apples to apples.

Is it worth it to replace the crystal with the 2xAR from prof? It looks great definitely but worth would largely depend on your personal opinion. I'm happy with the current watch with the existing crystal. I might get the new PAM438 and then order the 2xAR crystal from prof. Or I may.not. It's a personal choice.

Taking care of the watch is like taking care of any other watch. Don't abuse it, don't hit it on a hard surface, have it repaired when it breaks down or if you like, have it serviced as soon as you get it. It's all up to you.

Thanks for your kindness and your replies. I’m learning a lot. I just sold a genuine Wyler I bought several years ago to buy this watch. It’s a bet, I know hope to win ;)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thanks for your kindness and your replies. I’m learning a lot. I just sold a genuine Wyler I bought several years ago to buy this watch. It’s a bet, I know hope to win ;)

Well compared to a few years ago, winning is a much higher probability now. :)

Deathminder

21/11/17
Germany
Mysterio how you will judge the movement? do you think it's reliable? I've seen you had the watch from more than 1 year, is still everything ok?
There's something i need to know about it? How do you care it? and do you think it's appropriate to replace the glass with a new one 2xAR? i've seen some of you expert do this mod

thanks Deathminder, do you also have this watch? I just ordered the VSFv2 also with a leather strap (like the 441)

My friend has it. He says it runs pretty well but for me personally is the fake power reserve display a to big tell... but its quality is top notch

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
Well compared to a few years ago, winning is a much higher probability now. :)

Right, that's why i bought very confident...

Btw the dealers sent the QC pics. i asked about two pictures if are scratches. And i can see a little space in the closing of the bracelet. What you think?
And another dumb question, the straps is without the closing, are included? never bought something like this :)

0e87c6906514724.jpg
a71794906514844.jpg
25e430906515044.jpg
c4ebdb906515064.jpg

My friend has it. He says it runs pretty well but for me personally is the fake power reserve display a to big tell... but its quality is top notch

yes this is, i think, one of the only flaws in a rep that seems really astonishing

Last edited by a moderator:

tr573

Renowned Member
17/10/11
It's ceramic, it won't scratch unless you rub something harder against it (like a sapphire or a diamond) , but metal will leave itself behind on it - including the clasp inside the bracelet.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08

The non-working power reserve is a tell, but big? I don't know about that. Tell me, how many people you personally know who would:
1. See the back of the watch that's on your wrist.
2. Know what a power reserve looks like
3. Wait for the interminable amount of time to see a perceptible change in the 3 day power reserve shown by a small window

I probably have a handful (pun intended) of acquaintances that would even just pass 1 (and most of them know about replicas). No one passed 2 and 3. One did ask though "wooh, nice black movement, what's the black and red thingy?" I replied "it's a power reserve gauge." He then replied "Looks nice. What's a power reserve?" :lol:

Right, that's why i bought very confident...

Btw the dealers sent the QC pics. i asked about two pictures if are scratches. And i can see a little space in the closing of the bracelet. What you think?
And another dumb question, the straps is without the closing, are included? never bought something like this :)

0e87c6906514724.jpg
a71794906514844.jpg
25e430906515044.jpg
c4ebdb906515064.jpg

I've deleted the other photos that have no bearing to your questions. Be advised that just posting all the QC pics en mass (even at that poor resolution which would be of no value to anyone who would like to help you) is not allowed.

The scratches tr573 already replied, ceramic is a very hard substance. Any metal that is softer will leave a mark on it but it is not a scratch. I've noted this on my review of the PAM438 V1, where the clasp left a lot of gray marks on the inner part of the bracelet.

Little space in the closing of the bracelet, again, pictures are too small but there are small gaps in between the links of the bracelet, even in the gen one.

If you bought the strap separately, yes it will not come with the buckle (closing). During initial release, the PAM438 was sold with a free strap with a buckle. Ask your TD about it as the strap without a buckle is unusable. There are non-branded alternatives which you can buy from ebay (and some branded ones but if they're cheap they're most likely reps as well), but you're buying the rep anyway, might as well add the few dollars to complete it. :)

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
I've deleted the other photos that have no bearing to your questions. Be advised that just posting all the QC pics en mass (even at that poor resolution which would be of no value to anyone who would like to help you) is not allowed.

Sorry, the intentions were to show pictures thumbnails and when clicked it opens a new page. It's on the imagebam hosting site... but i don't understand why here thumb are not working as expected

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
If you bought the strap separately, yes it will not come with the buckle (closing). During initial release, the PAM438 was sold with a free strap with a buckle. Ask your TD about it as the strap without a buckle is unusable. There are non-branded alternatives which you can buy from ebay (and some branded ones but if they're cheap they're most likely reps as well), but you're buying the rep anyway, might as well add the few dollars to complete it. :)

I asked to the dealer, and he want to sell me the buckle for 35$ included the screwdriver, i don't think is a good price, but i wait your suggestions. BTW i asked the complete leather strap, otherwise is useless the "gift" they will promise me

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I asked to the dealer, and he want to sell me the buckle for 35$ included the screwdriver, i don't think is a good price, but i wait your suggestions. BTW i asked the complete leather strap, otherwise is useless the "gift" they will promise me

Gift? What gift?

Reactions: Benro_Pam317

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
Gift? What gift?

The strap! They included a 441 leather strap as a gift. I talked with the dealer and at the end they included strap, buckle and screwdriver ! Great!!!!!

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
The strap! They included a 441 leather strap as a gift. I talked with the dealer and at the end they included strap, buckle and screwdriver ! Great!!!!!

I see. Well that worked out for you. Congrats.

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
Hi Guys, watch just arrived! noob question, how i can set the GMT? there's a user manual that explain that?

MrTimeZone

Horology Curious
12/3/18
Hi Guys, watch just arrived! noob question, how i can set the GMT? there's a user manual that explain that?

The GMT works as per the gen movement. To adjust the GMT hand, you pull out the crown to the 3rd position and move the minute hand until the GMT hand is on the correct hour in the other time zone you want to keep track of. Then you push the crown into the 2nd position and then adjust the hour hand to the local time.

You can do the two steps in reverse (adjust the hour hand first and then adjust the GMT hand). After which you can push the crown into the 1st position and lock the lever.

Reactions: vcappp

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
Thank you!

Other noob questions

1) How i set the date only, i can't find the correct position.
2) the watch is great, but the color doesn't seem very gen, the 438 is NERO! i was thinking there's a way to make the ceramic look a little bit more black? Don't know like an oil ? :D i'ts a dumb question i know...but maybe some of the modder here have thought the same with other watches

MrTimeZone

Horology Curious
12/3/18
Thank you!

Other noob questions

1) How i set the date only, i can't find the correct position.
2) the watch is great, but the color doesn't seem very gen, the 438 is NERO! i was thinking there's a way to make the ceramic look a little bit more black? Don't know like an oil ? :D i'ts a dumb question i know...but maybe some of the modder here have thought the same with other watches

1. The date cannot be set. That's also how the gen P.9001 functions.
2. I saw a comparison of the gen vs rep PAM441 watch and the color difference isn't that great.

GregH

Known Member
25/6/18
I see. Well that worked out for you. Congrats.

Hi Mysterio it's been a while since i got my pam 438, and i'm overall very satisfied with it, but i have a doubt and don't know if it's my watch or not.
My auto winding it's very very noisy. If i shake a little the watch, the noise is udible also at a 30-40 cm distance. It's normal for this movement, or my pam need a service? What you think?

Thanks as always for your work and your help.

Reactions: r0b9502

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Hi Mysterio it's been a while since i got my pam 438, and i'm overall very satisfied with it, but i have a doubt and don't know if it's my watch or not.
My auto winding it's very very noisy. If i shake a little the watch, the noise is udible also at a 30-40 cm distance. It's normal for this movement, or my pam need a service? What you think?

Thanks as always for your work and your help.

Thanks for this info. I suspected that these clone movement was a modification of the miyota. Now you have confirmed this, I am going to stay as far away from this watch as possible.

Frikman

Known Member
29/10/14
Well it's been ages since I've posted about this watch so I thought I'd give a quick update.
The new movement is fantastic and still running as smooth almost 2 years later as the day it arrived (mine at least does).
This is still the go-to watch in my collection and the first one I reach for when I have to grab a watch for the day.

Reactions: vcappp