• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} Vintage Panerai 3646 Rivet dial

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Vintage Panerai ref. 3646
Rivet dial

Here's another project I recently completed. This time I focused on a 3646 with the elusive rivet dial.
Rivet dials are supposed to be prototype dials Panerai developed before the characteristic three-piece dial used for most of the 3646 the produced for the Regia Marina was completed.

The genuine dials were made of a plexiglass layer on which the indices and numbers were engraved from the back. The plexi layer was then fixed to a brass plate using two rivets which gave its name to this kind of dial.

In the homage world there has been an outstanding effort from a well known HF member to produce a batch of these dials exactly like the gen ones were. The result was incredible but, sadly they are long gone and impossible to source.
A wtb ad though resulted in a member contacting me and offering me this dial I used here, which might not be as good as the ones Radiomires produced, yet still very nice and well worth a good build :)

Parts used for this build include:

- Nightwatch cali case set, heavily shaped and aged. Wire lugs and crown tube soldered. Cortebert movement ring modified to fit the molnija movement.
- A nice Molly 3602 with engraved bridges from Dellone
- Display caseback from River. I had to use a thick rubber gasket to have it screwed in tightly but it was important to be able to show such nice movement imho.
- Solid caseback from Nightwatch
- Sternkreuz N plexiglass
- NW/River tall tube hands
- Athaya dial (at least my research and observations make me think so)

A special note about the strap, as usual. Although true to the gen 3646's, I never liked that much having to stitch a strap to a watch. It reduces my options should I decide to change straps, and I'm a sucker for straps :)
With this in mind I contacted Alfio from Bakeka and asked him if he ever made an hidden rivet strap, the reply was "No, but I can try. Let me search for rivets and I'll get back to you". Deal done, once he sourced the rivets I asked him to make a couple of special straps with my choice of leathers and here's the result. Awesome looking straps with hidden rivets which I can swap as many times as I wish. Thank you so much Alfio, dealing with you is always a pleasure and I can't recommend you enough :)

And more pics :)

Hope you enjoyed the reading, see you soon with more stuff :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 23Zen and Cebracoja

Dinkis

Supporter
Certified
23/8/15
Michigan, USA
3664c10df20ba3257f01f876d871f88c.jpg

Here ya go mate! Here's your next challenge. I'm laying down the gauntlet. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk