• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} Vintage Panerai 6152/1 LP - pics heavy

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Panerai 6152/1 LP
THE Luminor Panerai

This is another one of my latest projects, the 6152/1 with Luminor Panerai dial.

Building a 6152/1 is so much different than other builds, most of the work it needs can't be seen on the finished product. Quite differently than the majority of other builds I do, there is need for a lot of test fitting of parts here and modding movement rings or inner bezel without a proper work station isn't exactly easy. On the other I guess the difficulty is the reason I am so satisfied when I manage to achieve the desired result :)

For this build I opted for a Nightwatch case set with correct engravings between the lugs, two piece bezel and gen-spec T25 plexi.

Case received some special attention here as I wanted to improve my usual patination methods. It has been scuffed in specific areas where (in my mind :)) there's more chance to, you know, scuff it against something.

It has then been chemically threated, sanded and polished several times, carefully leaving each time a certain amount of swirls. The result imho is nice and realistic for a watch which has supposedly been used mostly during training missions for the COM.SUB.IN, which arose from the ashes of the Xma MAS after the end of the war.
I'll leave more historic details for another thread anyway ;)

Crownguard went through the same aging process, it has been aged and nicked, all edges softened and polished, a small chamfer added to the bottom part. The lever has been modded too (together with the crown tube height) in order to achieve the perfect snap.

On the gen the tritium-based luminous compound(called Luminor) aged very differently and more gently than the previously used Radiomir compound, toxic and radioactive. That's what makes most 6152/1 dials look gently aged compared to the older 3646's and 6154's.

The fantastic strap used for these pics is from L'Invitta Legione. It's indeed a great quality, quite a surprise tbh. Besides it comes with a premium package featuring a large cardboard box inspired to the gen instrument boxes and furthermore I like the fact each strap is named after the members of the Xma MAS.

Here's a full list of the parts used for the build:

- NW case set with two-piece bezel. Bezel's inner groove had to be enlarged, as well as dial diameter reduced, in order to make the dial fit correctly. Movement holder had to be modified as well to get the correct height of the stem hole.
- NW 3 piece 39mm dial, painted, lumed and resin filled by Bigwaved. Dave advised not to use the plexi insert and seeing the result I can only agree with him.
- Athaya tall tube hands aged and lumed by me, faux CP mod.
- T25 gen-spec plexi aged by me
- NW crown guard reshaped, aged and refinished. Lever sanded for a correct fit with the crown.
- Asian 6497 movement
- Strap from L'Invitta Legione

GEN reference:

Rahmen_Bild_2012_PS02_front.jpg

07.06_16.JPG

The build:

Hope you enjoyed the pics and info, until the next time!

Last edited:

hasat

Known Member
11/11/15
What a post my friend @kilowattore.
Very nice and authentic piece. The scars of the watch shows much historical authentication.
Much wristpleasure.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk

Dinkis

Supporter
Certified
23/8/15
Michigan, USA
Kilo strikes again! Thanks for reposting. I always enjoy "zoning-out" into your builds. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shikari

14/7/15
Just pure art. I admire the level of craftmanship you put in your projects.

Skickat från min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk