• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 511 KW v2 vs PAM 511 ZFac review (pic heavy)

hab3z

Known Member
1/1/16
When I was searching for a pam 511 to purchase, I realised that there wasn't that much information around about these models. My main question was "Is the case on the new ZF version really "rose gold" as in would it really be pink/red gold as opposed to just yellow gold. I was 90% sure that the KW version was real rose gold because of some QC pics i saw off TSWatch. But i wasn't really sure about the ZF version.

So as luck would have it, I stumbled on an opportunity to have both the "old" KW version of the pam 511 and the new "6 day PR" ZF version side by side. And because this place has given me so much info on this learning journey, I've decided to give back a little and post the pictures that I've managed to capture.

KW v2 on left. ZF on Right.
pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%203pm.jpg

As you can see, it was pretty hard to capture the rose-goldness of both these cases on camera (maybe because i suck) Lol. But trust me when I say, both of them are an equally nice Rose/Red/Pink gold colour. Really quite pretty.

3 o clock position:

pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%203oclock.jpg

(in case you can't see the pic) http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg151/habezmj/pam 511 vs ZF 3oclock.jpg

9 o clock position:

pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%209oclock.jpg

Case Back:

pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%20back.jpg

As you can see, the ZF one has the balance wheel at the correct position as gen!

Gen Case back:

www.chronometryx.com-PANERAI-PAM00511-14.png

So that's a big +1 for the ZF.

There was also one more thing i noticed which made the ZF better in my mind: Crystal distortion

pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%20crystal.jpg

The ZF has a far superior crystal in terms of clarity. I'm not 100% sure how the gen handles clarity but I suppose it's safe to assume that the gen should have a really clear crystal. Here are more close up pics:

KW v2:

pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%20crystal%20old.jpg

(in case you cant see the pic) http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg151/habezmj/pam 511 vs ZF crystal old.jpg

ZF:

pam%20511%20vs%20ZF%20crystal%20new.jpg

(in case you can't see) http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg151/habezmj/pam 511 vs ZF crystal new.jpg
The KW just sort of bubbles out after a certain degree of tilt but the ZF crystal remains clear even at a crazy viewing angle. It's pretty gorgeous actually imho.

Some last thoughts:

ZF
pam%20511%20ZF.jpg

KW
pam%20511%20non%20zf.jpg

For some reason, having them side by side, i felt that the KW is marginally smaller than the ZF. That's when I realised that the bezel on the KW is actually thicker than the ZF one. Which makes the dial look slightly smaller than the ZF version.

In conclusion, although the KW version is much cheaper, I personally feel that if you were shopping for a Pam 511, I would go for the ZF version. both the dials are of similar colour although for some reason the ZF version is advertised as "black" dial when its closer to the gen "brown" dial.

Apologies for the pictures that don't really do the watches justice. Haha.

Feel free to comment or add more things that I might have missed out.

TL;DR It's pretty hard to actually capture the rose-goldness of these cases. But in real life, they are both equally rose-goldish. hahaha. But the crystal distortion on KW is too ugly to me. I'd rather go with ZF.

Cheers!

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Regarding crystal distortion, I believe that even gens exhibit crystal distortion when viewed at extreme angles like that. It's due to the shape of the crystal which is slightly domed. I'm surprised that the ZF doesn't exhibit even the slightest hint of it.

In any case, very nice and detailed review. Not many have gold PAMs, let alone have two and then to make a comparison. Kudos for doing it. :)

Daddyoftoo

Known Member
6/2/15
I still love my ZF, although it has somehow managed to pick up a chip on the bezel.
I suspect I will get another at some point but other than the obvious weight difference, it's very close to the gen.
Great watch.
Thanks for this review bud.

hab3z

Known Member
1/1/16
Regarding crystal distortion, I believe that even gens exhibit crystal distortion when viewed at extreme angles like that. It's due to the shape of the crystal which is slightly domed. I'm surprised that the ZF doesn't exhibit even the slightest hint of it.

In any case, very nice and detailed review. Not many have gold PAMs, let alone have two and then to make a comparison. Kudos for doing it. :)

I actually have a 224 with a crystal that doesn't distort as well. Although I also have a 441 v6f that DOES have distortion lol. Which makes me wonder which is the more accurate crystal. Although having a crystal that is that clear is pretty awesome to me. hehe

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks for this nice review
Comparisons are always very interesting
Regarding crystal distortion, I think the same as mysterio: because gen crystals have also that "distortion" at forced angles. Anyway I'm impressed how the ZFac has no distortion (nice but....inaccurate??)
I would like to know the thickness of both reps, because I think KW uses an old case Luminor 44mm (inaccurate for the new 8 days whereas ZFac uses a new caseset closer to the new 8 days watches.
ALE

hab3z

Known Member
1/1/16
Thanks for this nice review
Comparisons are always very interesting
Regarding crystal distortion, I think the same as mysterio: because gen crystals have also that "distortion" at forced angles. Anyway I'm impressed how the ZFac has no distortion (nice but....inaccurate??)
I would like to know the thickness of both reps, because I think KW uses an old case Luminor 44mm (inaccurate for the new 8 days whereas ZFac uses a new caseset closer to the new 8 days watches.
ALE

Unfortunately i no longer have the reps with me. Already given them off to their respective owners. Lol. But if I ever do get them on hand again, i'll let you know.

From memory, I can distinctly recall that the KW is marginally thicker than the ZF but of course, I cannot confirm this for sure.

Will update you accordingly if i get the opportunity. Thanks for the kind words ALE! Means a lot coming from you :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Unfortunately i no longer have the reps with me. Already given them off to their respective owners. Lol. But if I ever do get them on hand again, i'll let you know.

From memory, I can distinctly recall that the KW is marginally thicker than the ZF but of course, I cannot confirm this for sure.

Will update you accordingly if i get the opportunity. Thanks for the kind words ALE! Means a lot coming from you :)

You are welcome
Waiting for the possible reply
ALE