• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Three builds to end a great year and start another - pt.3

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
- Three builds to end a great year and start another -
Part 3: The Oyster Cali 6152-1 No CG

Last part of this three-piece pictorial project is a completely fantasy build.
I loved this Oyster cali dial with seconds at 6 since the very first time that I saw it on someone's build. I honestly don't think there has ever been any watch featuring this dial in real life, and I'm pretty sure I never saw it on a Panerai 6152-1, but this is my "crazy" project so here goes.

For those who are interested here's some background story: in the 40's Panerai developed a few different cases trying to improve the characteristics of the 3646 case. The first modification was to eliminate the soldered lugs that were considered too weak and prone to letting water leak in, there the welded lugs prototype was born.
Later the mid-case shape evolved into the 6154, 6152 and 6152-1 becoming fatter with each step. As many of you know the 6152-1 was the first case featuring the iconic PAM crown guard, but there also were a few 6152-1 without it.
Here you can see what I'm talking about (sorry for the poor quality pic):

Above you can see (from the bottom) a 3646, a 6154 and a 6152-1, of course all homage. You can notice how everything is fatter in the 6152: CB, midcase, lugs, bezel... even the plexi is thicker :)

Well, getting to achieve such case shape was not easy. As some of you surely know there is no 6152-1 no CG case set available from any maker. River doesn't make them, neither does Nightwatch. Athaya made a batch but they are long gone. The closest was the Silix 6154 case, but it's long gone as well.
What to do then?

This case started as a standard Jackson fiddy case. First thing was to disassemble the case completely and remove the brushed finish off the midcase.
Then, a little reshaping, but just a little as I did not want to round the edges too much nor make the midcase shape too thin.
Finally the most difficult step: the notches on the case where the CG sits.

(NOT my pic)
8012507347_24233653ee.jpg

The notches have been filled up using solder, then the thing got shaped again and again until I was satisfied (and my hands hurt :lol:).
The biggest issue I found was that unluckily the staybrite soldering wire I use is a little lighter colored than stainless steel due to the silver it contains. The color difference is not visible at all with small soldered parts (e.g. the soldered area near the lugs of the 3646), but it became quite more visible when such an extended area was filled and covered with solder.
After a few trials and errors I decided to simply cover the whole side of the case with the soldering metal and, leaving the case finish not mirror polished but rather dull and aged, now it looks better. Not perfect but better enough :)
As a final step, the case was drilled to accept an Athaya tube and crown and the lugs were drilled as well to install Nightwatch lugbars.

Once all of this was done, the rest was quite easy. I sourced a T25 plexy, a movement ring and a caseback with engraved plexiglass from Nightwatch and dropped inside the irate03 dial/Athaya hands/6498 movement combo I had ready for more than a few weeks while I was working on the case.
The strap mounted here is from KanitK, I have just one word for it: OUTSTANDING!

Here is the result:

Ok, this was the last one of this three-piece build, I hope this wasnt't too much boring.
Any question or comment is welcome, I love to keep learning!

Last edited:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Kilo your "trilogy" is a great example of love for this nice hobby
You are showing the nicest part of our passion
Many people will get new interest, new stimulus, new PAM scene... reading your magnificent threads

You are a true role model for we all

Keep your good job and enjoy !!

Really grateful for your contribution my friend

ALE

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
beautiful buildings my compliments. your watches in something of a war scenario! how much for a KanitiK strap? It looks very well done and nice

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Fantastic work mate!

WalkerDH

I'm Pretty Popular
14/7/14
Bucharest Romania
Kilo, I will never get tired to read your reviews especially now that they are about your own builds!
thanks again to share with RWI community your amazing work.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys, working on watches is challenging but fun at the same time.
[MENTION=65412]Bozz[/MENTION] the strap was a very reasonable 105 usd including buckle.
The guy has a thread on HF where he shows his work and he's making exceptional straps imho.
This strap is made of french military leather and is very thick so it needs some breaking in, but it's incredibly well made and I'm sure it will wear like a glove in no time.
I was hesitant before contacting him, you know there are strapmakers on HF that sell their straps for crazy prices that are out of my price range and I thought he could have been one. Luckily that was not the case :)

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
Thanks guys, working on watches is challenging but fun at the same time.
@Bozz the strap was a very reasonable 105 usd including buckle.
The guy has a thread on HF where he shows his work and he's making exceptional straps imho.
This strap is made of french military leather and is very thick so it needs some breaking in, but it's incredibly well made and I'm sure it will wear like a glove in no time.
I was hesitant before contacting him, you know there are strapmakers on HF that sell their straps for crazy prices that are out of my price range and I thought he could have been one. Luckily that was not the case :)

I saw the straps on the FB page, very very nice. Very similar imho to the Altamarea straps

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Incredible build man -- the soldering work is top-notch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk