• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 320 / 329 comparison review - Gen vs. KW & ZFac

Maraach

24/8/15
Well guys,

Ok, so im here to talk about and review one of my favourite watches. The PAM 320 / 329. This is the 3 day stainless black dial GMT 1950's luminor from panerai which comes with either a croc (320) or stainless (329) band. I find this a very versatile watch which is why I ended up buying the gen. You will see it with a bunch of different bands below and my humble opinion is that it looks good on them all. I will update with pictures on stainless soon. Apart from the PAM 270 which was out of my price range this is my favourite PAM.

If you don't know already the main differences between the gen and rep are:

* 24 hour GMT hand as opposed to 12 (doesn't bother me, in fact at times i prefer the 24 hours as its more useful when travelling). An AM/PM indicator like on the 270 would have changed my mind on this.
* Different movement - A7750 vs P9001.

As some of you who have dealt with me may know i've spent the last 3 months trying to get a good 329 rep. I have been through 4 watches from different manufacturers during that time evaluating each for my needs. I also have a gen 329 (latest Q series) to compare against.

I thought I would share some of my findings with you. Ok, so lets cover the stainless steel bracelet first. As of August this year I cannot find any rep 329's about. ZF had one but no longer seem to make it. I've seen some amazing pics of them and this would have been my watch of choice... but i couldnt source one. Instead I was able to find one secondhand ZF bracelet, and also purchased a rep 328 from kurvarsitwatch from an unknown manufacturer to harvest the bracelet.

So I now have two rep bracelets to try on my watches. Let's get right to the point, the SEL on the rep bracelets doesn't fit any of these great, but its much worse on the KW than the ZF. The gen is somewhere in the middle. I think the KW has slightly longer lugs which leaves quite a gap. The SEL is much smaller than the gen which is what causes this issue. They all look great on gen bracelet. If only someone copied the gen SEL properly I would be a happy man...

Ok, so first things first, i've discounted the less known manufacturer ones. I used them mainly as donor pieces (though at times they were surprisingly good!) so this review focuses on gen vs kw vs zf. Sorry for the bad picture quality I just realised how bad my lens is at macro photography....

Here is a picture of the 3 side by side at roughly arms distance away.

left to right: KW, Gen, ZF
DSC_1065.jpg

DSC_1066.jpg

DSC_1068.jpg

Now yes, they are all on different bands (no photo's on stainless yet - to come). Just wanted to show you how adaptable this watch is (one of the reasons I bought it). It looks good on different bands which completely change the look.

So now some more photo's of the faces closer up:

KW:
20151107_102738.jpg

GEN
20151107_102751.jpg

ZF:

20151107_102841_001.jpg

Not bad are they? One thing I have to say is the panerai reps are done well.

Now some photo's of the back. You are right to think both manufacturers have nicely done non inverted 7750 movements now. It was a nice surprise. My gen serial number brushed out for obvious reasons...

KW:
image1.jpg

KW:
image2_1.jpg

GEN:
20151107_103432.jpg

GEN:
20151107_103446.jpg

ZF:
IMG_0721.jpg

Right, now in order to not overwhelm the thread with pics I will save the rest until later.

Now, lets start with some commentary.

The good of the KW (Brown asso strap up top and brown gator on the bottom) is that its well made. Crown guard is closest to gen, lever is close to the body, thin and lever has a really smooth action - very gen like. Flush CP but slightly rounded so looks a little odd up close. Hands also look very "shiny" not sure why. It really is a nice watch. The new version has a nice non inverted movement too. An unreported improvement.

Despite all that I can't really recommend the KW as a good PAM 321 rep though. It's a great watch, don't get me wrong but its got too many flaws on the face:

1) Minute hand is too short. It's really rather obvious and looks just 'wrong' when you look at it. Whether you have seen the gen or not. It just doesn't look correctly proportioned - what is it with KW??? this isn't their only watch I have found this on my omega seamaster as well!
2) Font is great, but the wrong colour (as is date wheel) it's too brown. Think they are reusing they PAM 438 / 359 ink here to save money. Bit disappointing.
3) The lume is excellent! However, the numbers always have a green tinge to them. It gives the face a more 351 look (as the dial takes on a brown look). I didn't like it and its the main reason I will be selling the watch.

Now for the ZF (black gator). Now I never much understood why there seems to be a KW bias here until I purchased my recent 2 ZF's. The 351 turned out fantastic and the 320 ok in the end. Note, i rejected them both 3 - 4 times due to obvious issues. QC really seems to be lacking in these pieces. I would have rejected the 320 a forth but I felt too bad for the TD. If you noticed, yes the dial is installed crooked, and the CG pin is not the whole way through the crown guard. This is the one I accepted...

The good:

ZF is a lot closer to gen in look and is a much better job at the face. Crystal seems to have a nicer colour to it too than the KW. Hands are correct length, better inscriptions on rotor, dial has right colour font (slightly too white, could be more cream but much more subtle compared to KW) though font is off - a little too thin compared to the more bold gen and kw. DW as per font. Dial numbers are also a little too "cream" compared to gen - definitely better than that perpetual fluro green on the kw though.

The bad:

1) QC just isn't up to par with the ZF. Wish they would address this. I better be able to fix that dial or I will be displeased.
2) Lume is nowhere near as good as gen or kw. On hands its a bit uneven and overall its weak.
3) CG lever is too thick and sits out a bit far. It also isn't anywhere near as smooth as gen or kw.
4) The power reserve indicator is back to front....

I have left out what I saw as QC issues on each watch as these are individual watch specific. I will however point them out here as a sign of quality of production:

* Both reps had nicks in the hands which was disappointing, but you only notice it in bright light.
* ZF CG pin wasn't installed properly (it's too short)
* KW CG had a rub mark on it from the onset
* ZF dial was crooked (still haven't had this fixed)
* ZF had marks on dial (which i hope come out)
* KW has dirty fingerprints all through movement
* ZF movement seems to be rubbish, low PR and doesn't keep good time at all.
* ZF movement cover has sloppy holes cut out of it for screw clearance. Not neatly done and could have been a lot smaller / cleaner.
* KW quick release pressure points were really stiff (one of them) at first. I had a lot of trouble with it, but it has free'd up now.

Some more observations:

* The ZF rep straps are much nicer than the KW equivalents (for croc)
* KW buckles are nicer

All in all i've decided to keep the ZF as a base to mod due to its closer to gen look. I will be asking strodda to help fix the issues (crooked dial) relume it, and do a swiss 7754 conversion which should give me a nice watch.

You have probably realised i've favoured the ZF even though there is numerous issues with both. That largely boils down to the hand length & font colour on the face. It's just a lot closer to gen. The KW case is finished nicer, and I wanted it to be the one, but until they fix these two issues I just find the ZF a better sample. If they stepped up QC this would be an amazing watch. Slightly better lume application, straight dial, a nicer running movement (its a shame because the first one with the missing "M" in luminor on the dial looked to be a great runner) and I would have loved this watch.

I'll be putting more detail into these posts and more info here soon but I have a young family and my 8 month old needs to be taken care of... so i'll leave it here for now.

Reactions: koala02blue

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Dear Maraach

This is a nice and useful review

Many people will bear in mind your comments to make a purchase decision

Just adding from my part, that the gen-like appearance of KW version, due to a better finish, is way superior to ZFac and that is more important for me that some little inaccuracies.
You can detect the gen-like appearance from 1 meter of distance, for the little inaccuracies you will need a close inspection in the hand and even a loupe

But that is, as always, a taste matter and people will make their own decisions

Rep points added

ALE

Maraach

24/8/15
Dear Maraach

This is a nice and useful review

Many people will bear in mind your comments to make a purchase decision

Just adding from my part, that the gen-like appearance of KW version, due to a better finish, is way superior to ZFac and that is more important for me that some little inaccuracies.
You can detect the gen-like appearance from 1 meter of distance, for the little inaccuracies you will need a close inspection in the hand and even a loupe

But that is, as always, a taste matter and people will make their own decisions

Rep points added

ALE

Thanks ALE,

I agree a matter of personal preference. The KW is a nicer case, no dispute there. It was the short minute hand and green numbers that drove me insane. I lived with it for 6 weeks but everytime I looked at the watch it bothered me in the end. As you said, you have a different view on this. If KW fixed the hand, font and lume issues I would sell the ZF and switch without hesitation. The watch just had a nicer 'feel' to it. Part of me also hopes that by being harsh on KW they will take the feedback on board and fix these problems... and then I will have a new watch to buy :)

Maraach

24/8/15
Another Note, movement on the PAM 351 started skipping today.. its now in with the watchsmith. Not pleased on a 1 week old watch, and this was my "good" one. These ZF movements are seeming questionable.

PaMister

Known Member
19/5/14
Thanks man, i've been waiting for this kind of comparison. This should also end an argue about text colour of kw 312 since it is same as with this 320. I just wish that over all quality of zf would have been better. Well saved my money....

My Signature.

Maraach

24/8/15
Thanks man, i've been waiting for this kind of comparison. This should also end an argue about text colour of kw 312 since it is same as with this 320. I just wish that over all quality of zf would have been better. Well saved my money....

My Signature.

Whilst I don't own a 312 based off my experience with the 320 and 351 I imagine you are right.

I know what you mean. The potential of the Zf is pretty amazing, however it's very hit and miss. i think at times people are a little harsh on Zf though. Of my 3 kw's, my pam 320 really lacked qc attention to detail. Marks on dial, plates, movement, doesn't run great.... I'd actually put it just as bad if not worse than the Zf. Well was, before watch smith got to it.

Maraach

24/8/15
Ok..... zf drama's continue. Both watches now out of service. Accepting its a small sample size but cant say im impressed so far. As it stands, with the really poor zf build quality im not sure i can recommend any of these watches at present. Compared to the kw 438 which has been a fabulous watch these just all really leave a lot to be desired.

nuyi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/15
Thought about getting myself a 329 instead of my now beated up 312..
Thanks for the comparison! I'll continue my search a bit further on...

gionaidas

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/11/15
Panerai means simplicity ! I dont think is the best panerai smebody could purchase!

flynn.sam

Horology Curious
26/11/15
Very nice and detailed review! I have a lot to learn! New where!

Sent from my super cool phone!

Maraach

24/8/15
Just an update.

I have recently picked up my 3rd ZF Panerai GMT (A 329) as they have come back into stock.

My first ZF (the 320) has had the movement looked at multiple times but it still less than ideal (PR is about 12 hours give or take).

Unfortunately the new 329 appears to have the same manufacturing fault my previous 320 and 351 had - the dial is rotated counter clockwise by about 2 - 3 degrees.

It may not sound like much, but its really rather obvious (and annoying) on the wrist. What's even worse is 2 watch smith's later and im told there is not anything that can be done to correct it. I have had the dial replaced (it's not the dial itself) but its still the same.

I can only imagine it has something to do with the case having the crown hole drilled in slightly the wrong spot (too high) which is causing the crown to be angled slightly downwards, affecting the position of the movement and causing the whole thing to be off centre.

After the service my 351 has been running well. That's about the only positive i can manage for the ZF GMT's. I just wish another manufacturer made them in stainless - my 438 KW was my first rep and still one of my best by far.

marcobs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/15
Hi Maraach, thanks for your great review!
I am a lot surprised from your essentially bad feedback, because in the PAM guide are rated First class reps medium level, but some of the defects that you spot are not so insignificant actually.. maybe their rating should be reconsidered.
Do you know if in the meantime the factories announced any improvement since then, or you guess these watches are all still at the same level?
Have you ever tried the 297 (rated super rep) or 237 (rated first class rep high level)? These are both GMT with solid case back that you didn't mention yet.

What about the power reserve on 320/329? Does it work or is it fake? And on 438?

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Maraach

24/8/15
297 hasnt caught my fancy yet. I do have a 299 but it has a defect on the dial that bothers me so i dont wear it. Im not so fussed on the case back (and personally prefer display backs) as im not trying to show the watches as gen. The main difference between the two is the inaccurate movement position on the 9000/9001 models. As i dont care i prefer the look of the newer watch.

I do believe KW corrected the short hand issue on the 312 and possibly the 320. It was by far the worst thing about the watch.

Have the KW 438. Love it. Great watch. Also have 2 of the new 1XXX models. Should love them nore but not quite resonating with me yet.

After 3 ZF 329's.... i cant recommend them. QC is just not up to standard.

As far as i know no Rep currently has a working PR indicator.

Hope that helps.

Hi Maraach, thanks for your great review!
I am a lot surprised from your essentially bad feedback, because in the PAM guide are rated First class reps medium level, but some of the defects that you spot are not so insignificant actually.. maybe their rating should be reconsidered.
Do you know if in the meantime the factories announced any improvement since then, or you guess these watches are all still at the same level?
Have you ever tried the 297 (rated super rep) or 237 (rated first class rep high level)? These are both GMT with solid case back that you didn't mention yet.

What about the power reserve on 320/329? Does it work or is it fake? And on 438?

Sent from the RWI mobile app