• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} The Egiziano Piccolo - 6154 build

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Originally posted June 11, 2015

THE 6154 RADIOMIR PANERAI
"l'egiziano piccolo"

There's a watch that since the very begining of my addiction to Panerais has awakened my imagination: the reference 6154, also called "egiziano piccolo" (small egyptian).
It seems that only 30 of these watches were developed and built by Officine Panerai for the egyptian army around 1954. The burning desert sun, the sand, and the radium applied on hands and indices left their mark making each watch a unique and beautiful piece of art.
Cracked indices, radium burns on the dial surface, infinite color variations ranging from yellow to dark brown and black, slight differences in case shape: every single detail of every single 6154 I see speaks to me in a way.

Some gens

And my build

I spent a fair amount of hours researching and trying methods for ageing, reshaping and refinishing the case and parts for this build (and even more time fixing stuff I broke while experimenting... :lol:)
I learnt a lot and had great fun doing it, so I can consider this time very well spent and something that gives me great satisfaction.

Parts used for this build:

HANDS

Adrian's (Athaya) tall tube hands are a must. Sanded and aged by me, tube has been lowered yet the hands stand tall because that's how I like them :)
A faux CP was added as well.

DIAL

For this project I was lucky enough to find a ready made matte black dial with cracked indices painted by non other than irate03.
I think you can agree with me he's one of the most skilled dial painters and this apparently simple dial shows it quite clearly: perfect textured matte charcoal black dial color and beautiful beige cracked indices.

CASE

I started with a polished River 6154 case, the case has been very slightly reshaped as the result I was after for this build was a 6154 with a bit "fat" case, so only the upper side has been softened and lightened around the corners. The lateral creases have been slightly softened as well.
The case was aged, then re-polished. I was deliberately careless since I wanted it to look like it was roughly restored.
I still have a long way to go before I get to the result I'm after, but I consider myself happy for this first try :)

Just for your reference here's an almost untouched case:

PLEXIGLASS

Well, that's funny... I did not think of removing the plexi before buffing the case with a felt wheel and actually the result was the plexi almost melting due to the high temperature reached by the case. :shok: :eek: :shock:
I did not have a spare so I needed a McGyver-style fix that could restore a somewhat rounded shape of the plexi. I achieved this by sanding the plexi external border, and this gave it a sort of opaque effect. Since I liked the way it looked I decided to leave it like this.

CASEBACK

Caseback engravings have been filled with enamel paint. The paint was partially removed for a worn look. Movement is my recent favourite, the Molnija 3602 with brushed plates. These russian pocket watch movements are moderately cheap and widely available, they keep decent time once regulated and despite their age they often have a 40+ hours power reserve.
Most of all they are very robust and simple, very important features considering the above said inclination to break things ;)

STRAP

I had this wonderful strap sitting in my drawer for a while, waiting for the right piece to show up. It's a vintage mud colored crocodile skin made by Orloff that suits perfectly the look and mood of this watch imho.

On to a few more pics:

Well, that's all for now. A few more projects are in the making and will be ready anytime in the next few months, as soon as I end up gathering parts.
Thanks for your attention, any input and advice is very welcome, I love to keep learning :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Therion666

Bozz

I'm Pretty Popular
4/6/13
rep point added. Great result mate. The "cancer steel" effect is very good. I love your aged case and your build.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks a lot guys! :)

Silvanos

Renowned Member
22/5/15
It looks terrific.. I can't imagine how you've aged the case and how long you've worked to get such result..

D

d4m.test

You're taking it to the next level Kilo. I wouldn't think twice if I saw this on Vintagepanerai.com

Beautiful work. Wear it well!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Looks like a reference Piccolo from the history books. Wonderful.

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
I love it.... it's beautiful.... wonderful work and perfect in every way....well done and enjoy it in the best of health.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I'm a bit embarassed, very kind words guys! :)

A few pics under natural light, I really like how the tall hands cast a shadow on the dial under the sun:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Kilo returns and strikes again !!

Congrats on this build and the fantastic pics !! A true Vintage catalogue

Thanks for sharing

ALE

Dublab

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/6/12
You are a true craftsman. Just beautiful work. Thanks for sharing this

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks for the support guys, doing my best :)

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Do you know that perzcope is also Spanish ??

ALE