• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PC Team*} Review of the Davidsen PAM 785 Luminor 8 Days Set

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Actually this pair did not immediately get my attention when it was released last year. The fact that it was a pair made it even that more unexpected as pairs aren't normally repped, although that seems to be changing this year (with the recent release of the PAM337 (SS) and PAM338 (Ti) as well as the PAM569 and PAM535 with the hobnail dial). Then Davidsen (DSN) suddenly came out with the pair at the same time! Of course, the case set would certainly be a tell as the movement has not been replicated yet so the case matching the movement would probably come later. But I thought, what the hey, at the asking price, I should not be nitpicking So now I present...

Panerai Luminor 8 Days Set (PAM 785)​

14101908033418120312626532.jpg

Truthfully, I am not expecting much from the rep in terms of accuracy, just as long as it's well made. But what we will discuss here is the accuracy of the replication, so let's start. ;)

CASE : MIDDLE CASE, CG, BEZEL
The case is designed for the A6497 movement, so let's get that out of the way already. It is not meant for the P.5000 8 days movement found in the gen watch. But as a caseset, both are pretty well made. The PVD case on the black seal is lighter than the gen pics so we can't do anything about it (if it was too dark, we could probably use the Cape Cod trick to lighten things). The Stainless Steel case on the white dial PAM785 is very nicely done.
Ig7Y0Ho.png

The CG is typical of PAM reps nowadays, nicely square and the polished bezel is as polished as can be on the stainless. From the side, the CG is nice and the lever snaps shut on both reps.
yaMyJsc.png
W2JuhFm.png

The crystal isn't cloudy as far as I can tell (someone mentioned that Davidsen is notorious for his cloudy crystals). It isn't apparent in this case. Showing the side view to show the typical crystal distortion that even gens exhibit.
PjTD0xA.png
ENnHwpO.png

DIAL : DIAL, SUBDIAL, MARKERS, CP
The dial is white and black on the respective watches, with patinated hands to tell the time. The hands are correctly Pre-V instead of modern like on the latest released white dial PAM605.

The subdial @9 is nicely done on both watches.
tGnulc2.png
NrwBjeY.png

The text on the white dial isn't as good as that on the black seal as the serif font isn't evident.

hdnxIhs.png
bDH7QLM.png

bMC991b.png
LJhpiZu.png

The CP is pointy as opposed to being flat and flush with the hands.
6oHF075.png
LAa7ouh.png

CASEBACK :
The caseback is closed and has the OP logo in the center and OFFICINE PANERAI FIRENZE around the caseback.
efimPoz.png
epl0GuM.png

The lume shot. Well I have not been successful in getting the camera to focus properly but suffice to say that it's nothing to write home about, especially the white dial, where the lume dots are very faint.

All in all, it wasn't an earth shattering release, but the effort of Davidsen to come up with the pair all by himself is commendable. I especially appreciate him spending the time to improve on the dial printing for both the black and white dial with semi-successful results on the V2 (the black was redone well with the serif font being evident but only half successful with the white one in that the print became bolder but the serif wasn't successfully reproduced). Fortunately for us and unfortunately for Davidsen, V6F, like it wasn't busy enough with all the other 15+ releases this January, released its PAM602 (white dial PAM785) and from the photos, looks to be better in the CP, lume dots and the font department. Also the strap on the V6F is similar to the gen. I was not able to get a suitable strap from Davidsen but I did get some screw in Pre-V buckles and I will have 24/24 straps made (the gen is 24/22 125/75 if you want to be accurate). However, V6F used a modern hand set which is wrong for the rep, so the factory better correct that soon. And where is the black seal? The daylight has more potential issues than the black seal so the delay in the release of this watch is strange. Oh well, maybe in a few days the black seal will appear.

So this is my short review, if you have any questions, feel free to comment. Thank you for reading. :)

wolfwood

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/2/11
Thanks for the review. One thing I don't understand is that why doesn't all PAM come with the flatten and flushed CP like the gen? Is it hard to make? Even some of the not so expensive reps now have that feature.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Thanks for the review. One thing I don't understand is that why doesn't all PAM come with the flatten and flushed CP like the gen? Is it hard to make? Even some of the not so expensive reps now have that feature.

The V6F PAM569 is such an example. Good thing the factory reacted quickly and fixed the CP. It means it can be fixed.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Wow mate, how many reps are you going to review this month? I'm pretty envious of your new acquisitions :D

I agree with your opinion on this couple, regardless a not 100% accuracy, they are very nice and look like they're well built.
Davidsen has stepped up his game lately in my opinion as well and he's showing the correct approach with the dial updates. Pity for the font on the white one, but I think it's not easy to keep up with the big makers nowadays.

I think it needs a further step while building the watch as the CP doesn't come flat and polished out of the factory.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Wow mate, how many reps are you going to review this month? I'm pretty envious of your new acquisitions :D

I agree with your opinion on this couple, regardless a not 100% accuracy, they are very nice and look like they're well built.
Davidsen has stepped up his game lately in my opinion as well and he's showing the correct approach with the dial updates. Pity for the font on the white one, but I think it's not easy to keep up with the big makers nowadays.

I was going to review another PAM, but you already posted one. :lol:

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Oh, I didn't know that. I guess it's to keep the cost down then.

Well it is a further step but I don't think one that would be significantly more expensive. This isn't Switzerland. ;) However, it is one more step that could be eliminated unless the customer demanded that it be done (or could persuade the maker to do so), which seems to be what happened here.