• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} - Short review of KW PAM 441 Ceramic

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
PAM 441 ceramica replica (from Joshua/PC).

After some market wars of dealers, we have the same watch from V6 and from KW where both are considered “makers” of this watch. Anyway, I got this beauty, marketed as KW production so I can have some observations first hand:

CERAMIC CASE:
really a thing of beauty! Perfect is the right word, believe me. Top bezel can be unscrewed with a sticky ball or small rubber suction cup. It is one piece together with sapphire. Nice and quick way to remove sapphire and blow out all of these dust particles from the dial without removing of a movement. Very handy.

The CG bridge is full ceramic, mounted to the case by two screw with rubber gaskets (to protect brittle ceramic of CG). Threaded holes are made in metal under the ceramic layer of a case - so the case is quite a complicated build. The lever has a nice ceramic snap feel when closing.

I couldn’t set the time at first since the ceramic cap of a crown disengaged from metal part. Was not glued strong enough, apparently. A drop of 2 components glue fixed the problem quickly. We will see how it holds since it is not easy to glue ceramic surfaces…

The titanium caseback on this watch is still CERAIMC one, but free replacement one is on its way. Anyway, it is not so visible since everything is so dark. It is not something to pop up at first glance.

I see no reason this caseset is being manufactured other way than gen ceramic case. In case You are interested in brief description of the process and some photos, take a look at paneristi's post: http://goo.gl/PVXhy5

DIAL, HANDS…

- dial is very very nice, with correct thinner arabic digits than those known from previous 359-like dial watches. Lume is very good considering it is faux patina style.
- hands are OK
- CP issue is there but not so annoying in real life (black hands, something shiny at the center, OK…..)
- 24 hours instead of correct as per gen 12 hours GMT hand - well, we will have to live with it. I am more for 24 hours GMT hands in watches - the PM/AM thing is important sometimes.
- date window is perfect - nothing else than black edges when observed from an angle.

MOVEMENT:
- non inverted balance decoration (but it is easier in case of watch regulation)
- smoked glass makes everything less annoying - it is more shiny than detailed now
- the movement was like -30 secs/day when arrived; I regulated it to +7 secs a day and will let it break down

STRAP, BUCKLE

- nice quality asso strap, nothing to be removed and trashed as we often do with rep straps. A keeper.
- black DLC’ed, probably titanium buckle, sandblasted

FINAL VERDICT:
if movement will not turn to be lemon - it is one AMAZING watch! The ceramic case is outstanding. I would not event blink if someone would introduce me to this case-set as a genuine one. That good.
The caseback problem with engraving will be corrected by replacement part from Your favorite TD.
CP is not such issue in real life but should be corrected in the future. Would this issue prevent me from buying this version? I already have this watch but… yes, I would buy again despite of CP issue.

4nUhvVt.jpg

5a8ovbc.jpg
UdC4NuY.jpg

The GMT complication on A7750 is done as per gen and is known to be reliable solution. It is 24 hours instead of correct 12 so it is easy to recognize “it is a rep” every two hours :D For practical use I like 24 hours GMT more than 12 hours.

zbHQXgP.jpg

tyXHjjr.jpg

iPt5jPi.jpg

5R7Ejho.jpg

i6DYzaO.jpg

Er1sADJ.jpg

RxSsgwH.jpg

FrBAnfU.jpg

jzbwc2m.jpg

V3sObGz.jpg

4VZYNrT.jpg

CG's details:

0b9X973.jpg

vlWTl5H.jpg

UPDATE:

some observations of movement behaviors after 5 days:

- after small regulation it works stable about +3 secs/day (I hope it will get slower a bit as movement breaks in)
- no problems with autowinding
- no problems with date change (date wheel doesn't hang during night)
- small problem with GMT hand blocking seconds hand - easy to correct especially with this new bezel which you can remove...

other:

- lug pins need to be treated with Loctite
- the idea of modding CP: to get stainless steel pin, polish the head, cut it and glue over the CP using some drop of silicone..

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great piece, case, CG and dial look perfect, even the vintage lume color looks spot on.
Pity for the CP, but I guess it's possible to live with it... ;)
Thanks for sharing

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Short review od KW PAM 441

Typically, the CP appears like this:

RpEU0Ad.jpg

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Polonus for this magnificent review

I liked this case from the beginning and I said that in many posts in several forums. You pics and reviews confirm this point and this case-set is even better than I expected. As you say this ceramic case-set seems really GEN
Awsesome the lug contours the bezel and cushion shape. Impressive CG with engravings, lever and chamfered corners exactly like gen
I agree again with Polonus about this watch is made like a gen
Nice to hear the dial is OK regarding thickness of cutouts and lume colour.
CP issue is not a big problem in real size. Almost no noticeable from a front view. We will e able of living with that.
No comments about caseback to be changed

Of course a Super rep in construction and quality but the movement with balance wheel @11 and inverted layout doesn't allow this Super status

Leaving aside the movement, one of the best reps we have ever seen. It is a must

ALE

Rep points added
I will include this link in PAM GUIDE asap

ALTL

Known Member
29/6/13
Thanks Polonus for a great review, now I'll impatiently wait for your review of the 438 and perhaps a comparison of these two reps.

4chibis

Known Member
4/10/10
Polonus thanks for the feedback, what is your opinion of the sapphire crystal quality? Above par?

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Polonus thanks for the feedback, what is your opinion of the sapphire crystal quality? Above par?

Saphire crystal is OK, as for all better PAM reps. We must remember that gen PAM crystal are not much better, especially when comes to single side AR.

Rookie888

Horology Curious
23/10/14
Polonus, thanks a lot for this review. I just got one from KW, I notice that it seems the glass is quick reflecting. Is this normal for PAM441 due to the glass curve?

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Polonus, thanks a lot for this review. I just got one from KW, I notice that it seems the glass is quick reflecting. Is this normal for PAM441 due to the glass curve?

it is single AR, as per gen. Gen is the same reflective I presume.

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Just because they aren't TDs here doesn't mean they aren't on another rep forum.

Shenanigan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/14
That's why I asked which TD.. I'm a rwi loyalist.. I don't surf others b)

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Any dealer can get this watch for you ;)

ALTL

Known Member
29/6/13
Just visited PAM AD and was able to have some time with the 441. I must say that the CP in gen is just like the one in the rep pics I've seen so far, i.e. a bit shiny. I'm awaiting the arrival of my 441 and will be able to comment as soon as i get it.
On the case back, since it has a tinted crystal the difference between the 441 movement and the 438 "black out" doesn't seem to be that relevant. However, they did not have a 438 for direct comparison between the two.
On and additional observation I have a PAM 089 and felt that the light grey leather strap it came with was a bit of a let down, but i just saw the exact same strap (color, feel, etc.) on a PAM at the AD so feeling a lot better at the quality of the straps that our reps are coming with, at least the 089 I bought.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Thank You for Your observations! I still think it is possible to:
- to polish and then cut off the head of small stainless steel pin
- glue it on top of CP using a drop of silicone glue

Should work :)

p.s. interesting info about that light grey strap. I thought the same about so-so quality of rep...