• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The DSN Panerai PAM057C with Genuine ETA/Soprod Movement: Pictorial and Review

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

This is part two of my Panerai Power Reserve Reviews. In this installment I’ll be taking a close look at the PAM057C. Let’s start with an overview of the power reserve models.
Very low grade versions of these watches exist in Chinese 21J form. But the best versions ever made have only been repped by Watch Honpo and DSN. These watches from Honpo and DSN actually use the same genuine Swiss movements as the gen model: the 2892-2 with 9040 Soprod power reserve module.
Honpo only repped the 27A and 28A. DSN has done a much more complete line. He makes three different models in several different series. Here's the full list
Black dial
027A: SS with 1997 T dial
027B: SS with 1998 L dial
Black Hobnail
028A: PVD with 1997 T dial
028B: PVD with 1998 L dial
028J: PVD with 2006 L dial
Tobacco Hobnail
057C: Ti with 1999 L dial

Now for the PAM057C:

Wrist Shots:

The watch is known for its gorgeous tobacco hobnail surface. It’s widely regarded as one of the most beautiful reps ever made…but how accurate is it? Let’s find out together.

The Dial:

Enough can’t be said about the tobacco hobnail. It is unparalleled in the rep world. The hobnail its self seems to be 100% accurate to gen, which is shocking considering the level of detail necessary to recreate the surface texture. Also note the accuracy of the print. The quality/crispness of the printing is very much the same between the rep and gen. There is a minor font issue in PANERAI, where the “R†seems to be slightly too large, but this is mostly hidden by the hobnail texture on the 057. Finally the lume application on the DSN dial is a bit too flat. Gen has a nice raised sausage profile.

GEN

REP

The color varies depending on the lighting indoors is a dark chocolate brown outdoors it is more like a milk chocolate.

GEN

Outdoor light

REP

Indoor light

Outdoor light

The main concerns on this dial is the margin between the indicies and the rehaut. The A Series for both the 27A and the 28A is perfect and totally gen like. But after the A Series Panerai changed the spacing between the indices and rehaut making the gap much more narrow. DSNs and Honpo’s spacing on the A series is perfect, but not accurate on the B and C series dials.

GEN

REP

This is actually what drove me away from the 057C. The margins on that dial are very incorrect. Since I've been building modding and shaping my own Pre-V watches, this variance from the gen would have bothered me.

Notice on the gen the L Swiss Made L is very close, almost touching the rehaut, But on the DSN the numbers and indicies have the same spacing as the A Series that leave about 1mm distance from the rehaut.

Power Reserve Module:

The detail of the text and depth of the recess seems to be very accurate. I will repeat the pictures used above.

GEN

REP

Hands:
Overall the shape and length of the hands is very accurate, with the small exception being made for the position of the lume dot on the seconds hand, the gen is placed about 0.25mm closer to the tip. I have gen soprod seconds hands on both of my personal power reserve builds and I can tell you first hand that the DSN seconds hand is accurate enough to not bother me. The Honpo on the other hand is way too close to the tip. This makes DSN the Soprod hand stack champion!!!

Crystal/Cyclops:

Now that I have had about 10 DSN 6mm Cyclops crystals pass through my hands. I have some good perspective. Overall they are too cloudy. When struck with bright light from a low angle. He did promise a batch of improved crystals, and delivered me one that was so good that it looked gen. I kid you not. See for yourself:

But since then he has delivered me another with the same low quality, so I can’t be sure I wasn’t just lucky;) Regardless the crystal above is one of the best out of the box 6mm Cyclops crystal I have ever seen. So the potential is there.

Notice on the Cyclops a slight "frozen Halo" as Ale calls it, but check out the gen. You see the same effect.

GEN

REP

Case/Bezel:

It isn't 100% gen shape, but it is pretty close. There are definite differences in the lugs. The DSN has a bit of a hump on the top edge of the lug. The gen has a smooth slope. On the bezel: the slope and height look correct to me.

GEN

REP

Some lug ripple is evident, but overall finish is quite decent and comparable to H Factory for sure:

CG:

DSN has actually done quite a nice job improving his CGs. The lever tip shape is still off and the top is a bit too flat, but overall at first glance…. Really not a bad effort!

GEN

REP

Crown:

The case is closed on the quality and accuracy of the DSN crowns. They are amazing… It’s already been said in my other review. You probably missed it… Take another look.
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=183193

Gen Ti on the left, DSN Stainless on the right

Screws:
The first time I changed a strap I had to be careful to seat the screw correctly before tightening it. It felt a little rough, but only the FIRST time. I almost think that I broke the thread in by seating it correctly. I haven't had a problem since then through MANY strap changes. The CG screws however do seem to be tapped a little rough. I recommend care when working with the CG screws, but this goes for any rep.

Case Back:

The case back is a slight weakness. In this day ther is ZERO excuse for the inside of the CB to not say "SWISS MADE" That's just lazy that it doesn't have that detail. But overall this is one of DSNs better casebacks. Placement of the text and dots seems good with some minor font size issues. I have to say though, I have been spoiled by the 100% accurate Honpo casebacks. They are shocking. Even the inside of the caseback is 1:1. DSN falls well short of that, but still not bad. Check out Gen versus DSN and as a bonus… some Honpo shots as an example of “doing things the gen wayâ€

GEN

REP

Honpo

Movement:

Simply AWESOME! [/B]One of my main reasons for wanting a DSN power reserve. In the first 60 hours of wear, it only gained 2 seconds. This IS the gen movement. Given, it is missing the decorated rotor and movement ring with pearlage, which the honpo actualy includes. Eitherway, it is Genuine Swiss goodness. Once again I will compare Gen to DSN to Honpo

GEN

REP

Honpo versus gen

Lume:

I can’t find my lume shot of the 057C, but I do have a lume study of DSNs vintage lume from a pervious review.
The DSN is flanked below by a Noob 299 and my Rolli 002A with AUTHENTIC SWISS RC Tritec lume. The DSN lume isn't the best, but this is intended to be a tritium lumed watch, which degrades and weakens over time. This doesn't bother me.

Noob - LEFT; DSN - CENTER; RC Tritec - RIGHT

after 2 minutes:

after 7 minutes:

These weren't my best lume shots. It is much brighter in person

Conclusion:
This is one of the finest replicas ever made in terms of beauty and quality of movement. If DSN ever decides to fix the dial, we will have a nominee for SUPER REP. I hope you enjoyed the read.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Fantastic review! I own one as well and honesty, one of my top 3 pams. Thank you!

panasol

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/11
EU
very nice review...:)

I just bought a best-of-both-worlds (DSN and Honpo) 027a and I couldn't be happier...:)

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Just bought one a few weeks ago and it is now my favourite PAM I own. Great watch, absolutely love the movement. Thanks for the writeup, made me glad I picked one up.

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
Yessss

57c_zpsa03e9fae.png

al358

Renowned Member
16/5/14
Awesome !! Thank you for taking the time to put it all together

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Congrats Grim

This is a fantastic and useful review which describes perfectly this watch, its accuracy and its quality
You have made a very good job and we are grateful

As you say it is a pity that DSN PAM 057 has two flaws on dial: the wider space between markers and rehaut (knowing it really bothering) and the displaced dot of the second hand.

As we have commented before this nice review, two flaws on the dial, some differences already known in lug and case-set shapes and the inaccuracies on caseback should be enough to reconsider the current Super Rep evaluation. Indeed current PAM GUIDE Evaluation for this rep is indicated as
EVALUATION: (**) SUPER REP due quality and movement (DSN model) (see comments)(This evaluation is under revision due to a review from Grimlocktime)

I really was leaned to this evaluation when the PAM GUIDE release, due to the magnificent movement and the beauty and good manufacture of the rep. Nowadays, after a carefully study, like yours, considering the overall quality of current reps and bearing in mind all little flaws you have showed it is almost impossible to keep the Super Rep status for this rep. Although I think it is one of the nicest and more interesting ever made.

New Evaluation: FIRST CLASS REP high level (mainly bearing in mind the gen movement)

Thanks Grim for let us know all the "corners" of this watch

Please, keep your nice job

ALE

D

d4m.test

Glad to add some value to this great forum.

But also happy to highlight, some of the best Panerai replicas ever made. The gen movement hooks me like a fish.

But I don't want this thread to stop here.
I would like to reiterate that perhaps the A Series 27A and 28A should be considered for "SUPER REP Bordering on first class".

Here's my rationale:
-Gen Swiss movement
-Correct dial margins
-Correct recessed power reserve meter (even the legendary honpo watch missed this)
-1:1 number shape
-Slight text differences (nicely hidden on hobnail dials)
-Updated case design
-Updated CG design
-Gen Crown design

We have classified other watches as SUPER REP despite inaccuracies regarding:
-Display Casebacks showing obvious movement flaws
-Inaccurate caseback engraving
-Lume application and color differences
-Poor cannon pinion
-Poor finish on hands
-Obvious CG flaws

Please discuss.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
But I don't want this thread to stop here.
I would like to reiterate that perhaps the A Series 27A and 28A should be considered for "SUPER REP Bordering on first class".

Please discuss.

Grim, this was the purpose of these reviews !

Indeed I am indicating in PAM GUIDE of PAM 027A and 028A, after our personal and friendly discussions, that evaluation is pending of your reviews

We have already changed the Evaluation of PAM 057

Now we should consider the evaluation of 027A and 028A

Do you plan to make some other reviews of these 027 and 028 ? Or we should start the discussion from the current ones?

Thanks for your kind cooperation

ALE

D

d4m.test

Ale, of course my friend. I will review the 28A, and 28B as well. I just need about 4 hours to sit down and put them together;)

I will also probably include some updated photos of my 27A.

Those will hopefully come in the next month.

Then the final step will be a summary thread. You are right. That is probably the best place to discuss the evaluations.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
OK Grim my friend, thanks ;) ;)

Nice job as always

That will be one of the best documents in reps !

Looking forward to your final reviews

ALE

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Good read, great review and even better pics Grim! :)

Been looking out for another PAM to add to my collection and the 057 is certainly very high on my shortlist! However, I was just wondering whether the 057 and the 028 has a working PR module? Don't know much about movements in general but since it is using a 'gen' Swiss movement, the PR module should be a working one?

Can't wait for your review on the 028 too as the a PVD would definitely be a good addition to my collection :)

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
Both look awesome to be honest. Only difference is $200 between the Ti and PVD.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

pamegalex

Renowned Member
20/8/14
Both look awesome to be honest. Only difference is $200 between the Ti and PVD.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken, the 057 is about $600 which makes the 028 around the $400 mark and they are only exclusive to DSN? Does that mean I can't get my usual TD to source it for me? Is that correct?