• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} PAM 364 Noob small review [QC pics allowed]

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
DUE TO THE SPECIAL INTEREST OF THIS NOOB PAM 364
QC PICS OF THIS WATCH WILL BE ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD
ALE

The gen Panerai 364 was introduced during SIHH 2013 in Geneva, as limited 1000 pieces release. Great resistance to water-pressure (2500m), titanium body, 1950 case, in-house movement (3 days reserve) - all great stuff, indeed.

Fast forward to 2014 and we have great rep of this watch, made by Noob. We all remember great Noob products like 187 or 243 in case of submersibles - and this is another one. External look is almost 100% gen with some small differences:
- kinky CP
- the pearl of not so exact shape as per gen

The gen:
panerai-pam364-luminor-23148_0301.jpg

The rep:

the strap delivered was typical 47mm sub rubber strap as you know from Noob 187 albeit softer. Here it is on H-factory rep strap as delivered with their 372.
IMG_0086_zps3a0618cf.jpg

The machining is very very good, especially visible on 15 minutes sub-bezel.
IMG_0084_zps0756010d.jpg

Bezel works great, solid feel when rotating, no loose sounds etc.
IMG_0087_zpse8a1596d.jpg

This is great to see the case back engravings are so dark, as per gen.
IMG_0088_zpsc5312fb8.jpg

IMG_0089_zps316e0baa.jpg

The pearl, a bit different to gen in shape. This one looks like a miniature bowl of pudding ;)
IMG_0090_zpsd6796b2d.jpg

Infamous CP... good that in reality it is not a problem.
IMG_0091_zpsa4103ba8.jpg

IMG_0092_zps0dc57e6c.jpg

The CG pin could be better AND could be placed a fraction of mm towards the case...
IMG_0093_zpsd648076f.jpg

Nice, deep engravings:
IMG_0094_zps0aa922d4.jpg

Other side of CG:
IMG_0096_zps9c01565b.jpg

Inside are of caseback:
IMG_0097_zps957b75d1.jpg

Something went wrong with caseback during production - look at bottom left part - some strange dirt visible, like after acid...
IMG_0098_zps2551b834.jpg

Unnecessary movement decorations. You can see how misaligned balance wheel decoration is.... My guess is they have a lot of these movements already with these decoration plates. Unfortunately, a lot of them are experiencing some QC problems (with decoration) so they put them inside closed-caseback watches. I.E. missing false escapement wheel ;) My watch smith will service it soon, I already told him to remove/trash all decorations ;) So far the movement behaves like a bone-dry one, so quick service is a must.

As You can see, there are no tabs to hold the movement inside the case - it is being kept steady by case construction when the caseback is screwed in. Otherwise, remove the crown and you have the whole movement ready to remove from the case. Easy dial cleaning ;) (..and easy dirt to catch when the caseback is opened)
IMG_0099_zpse09ceaf9.jpg

IMG_0100_zpsc089adf5.jpg

CG side view:
IMG_0102_zpsa0b53167.jpg

Small "wrist" movie:

Conclusions:

When judging by quality, details taking care of, the insides etc. the quality is lower than Noob 243 and Noob 187, just a bit. JUST A BIT. This is great watch, very light comparing to 187. There is no that "chunk" feel when wearing. Is it worth buying? Definitely!

On Orloff's python:
FullSizeRender_zps1cfc00eb.jpg

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great review, thanks for sharing!

Indeed a well made piece from noob, I hardly see anything worth mentioning apart from the CP and CG pin, maybe the serial numbers could be better shaped, but it's major nitpicking.
Lovely watch, my only concern is the thickness. It looks like such a big chunk of metal, possibly the only PAM I would not be sure I could pull off so far :)

sweden

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/13
Great review.

Would have tried this if my wrist was bigger.

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
PAM 364 small review

Thanks for the review mate.

My small wrist didn't prevent me. ;)

15422643686_4fc03237d1_c.jpg

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
DUE TO THE SPECIAL INTEREST OF THIS NOOB PAM 364
QC PICS OF THIS WATCH WILL BE ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD
ALE

Thanks Polonus for this nice review and useful pictorial

We have now got a very good idea about the quality of this rep.
I can now introduce the datasheet of PAM 364 Noob in PAM GUIDE

Regarding finish quality JUST A BIT lower than in PAM 243 and 187, maybe that is due to thios watch is made of Titanium, softer and more difficult to be machined with quality

The main flaws are the Pearl ensemble shape and appearance, the weird CP and the CG pin (two last barely noticeable)

I'm really grateful for this thread
Rep points added

ALE

Due to the little flaws above commented .... What about an evaluation of SUPER REP REP bordering lower status ??
Please post your thoughts

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Looks great on that black strap:)

It's dark green mate from Simona. Haha.

And I agree to the 'super rep bordering first class' evaluation. Just classifying it as 'first class' doesn't justify the 364 imho.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
'super rep bordering first class' sounds just right for this watch :) I will have some watch smith report about the movement state by tomorrow; now the watch is in servicing...

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
thanks for review, that is my first PAM since a while, I absolutely love it ! chunky but still light... like a Sub should be ;)

Perry

12/5/07
I'm buying this one also. I have so many pam subs but this one is too good to pass up.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
It's dark green mate from Simona. Haha.

And I agree to the 'super rep bordering first class' evaluation. Just classifying it as 'first class' doesn't justify the 364 imho.

'super rep bordering first class' sounds just right for this watch :) I will have some watch smith report about the movement state by tomorrow; now the watch is in servicing...

Hi friends
Appreciate your valuable opinion
Thanks

If no different opinions here we will take the evaluation : Super rep bordering a lower status

ALE

D

d4m.test

The CP issue is bothering me in the macro shots, but this becomes a non-issue at regular magnification.

Also, please note the CG body shape. Noob appears to be getting closer from the V2 to V3 CG on the PAM243. Now this appears to be a V4 CG with more correct beveled edges where the CG joins the case.

All this considered, I totally agree with Super Rep bordering on First Class high quality.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Super rep bordering first class seems correct to me as well.
Really really minir imperfections, we can't ask much more than this imho :)

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
My watch smith just called me back - the movement is bone-dry albeit works flawless after cleaning and oiling :) He found small metal scrapes inside (we know it is from decorative plates assembly; they drill holes on assembled movement) and found fake plastic "escapement wheel" wandering inside ;) So, good movement, first step is to let the watch smith service it (and remove all decorative crap).

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Grim and Kilo for your opinions and confirming evaluation
I agree about the quality of the new CG

It is very curious that PAM 243 V1 CG seemed almost perfect some years ago. Nobody claimed about differences
Chamfered corners in V2 was just well received. Nobody talked about this matter before the improvement.
Nowadays, those CG had been "rejected" directly like we did with the first ZFac PAM 382
Obviously we are raising the bar of quality level

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Question for native English

I have written "Super rep bordering lower status"

Usally the answers are more or less: "Super rep bordering First Class"

Is it not correct my sentence about lower status?

ALE

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Quite sad, but important news: I got my watch from watch smith after servicing. He was able to regulate it using donor's parts from another watches, escapement elements etc. The truth behind decorative plates is quite shocking: it is OLD Asian 7750 movement, or even more - it is a mashup of two abused movements to set one so-so working trough the door - after decorative plates it is not obvious! The watch smith told me that the part of the movement was over-oiled while near balance - it was bone dry. More than that - he found out that escapement pallet fork was already repaired (bent) together with 'two buttons", which were altered, too. The self-winding wheels were almost worn then over-oiled. We hit new bottom in this hobby - repaired Asian movements :/

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Question for native English

I have written "Super rep bordering lower status"

Usally the answers are more or less: "Super rep bordering First Class"

Is it not correct my sentence about lower status?

ALE

Ale, 'lower status' is correct mate. What I interpret is that 'lower status' is a more general term than let's say 'first class'.

So, since first class is below super rep, your usage of 'lower status' is still correct.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Ale, 'lower status' is correct mate. What I interpret is that 'lower status' is a more general term than let's say 'first class'.

So, since first class is below super rep, your usage of 'lower status' is still correct.

OK
Thanks jamztio
Therefore I can keep "Super rep bordering a lower status" in the Guide. OK?

ALE

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Quite sad, but important news: I got my watch from watch smith after servicing. He was able to regulate it using donor's parts from another watches, escapement elements etc. The truth behind decorative plates is quite shocking: it is OLD Asian 7750 movement, or even more - it is a mashup of two abused movements to set one so-so working trough the door - after decorative plates it is not obvious! The watch smith told me that the part of the movement was over-oiled while near balance - it was bone dry. More than that - he found out that escapement pallet fork was already repaired (bent) together with 'two buttons", which were altered, too. The self-winding wheels were almost worn then over-oiled. We hit new bottom in this hobby - repaired Asian movements :/

Thanks Polonus

Really interesting info... and surprising.
It is alarming that this movement used by Noob and seems the same used by ZFac.!!
I hope KW decorated is different

What will we be able to found under those decorative plates.... !!!

Really tired and bored when I review or write in the GUIDE about the "new" decorated versions, precipitately released, without checking and taking many risks for the future owners.
Zfac ZP9000-V2 has a reduced balance cock to barely a bar. How will this reduction affect the working of the movement ?
KW ZP9000-V2 has not reduced balance cock but has thicker inscriptions on bridges (like many other "improved" versions)

I'm hating more and more those decorated and their "improvements"
Makers should think asap in a true clone P.9000. Decoration way should be closed

There is a lot of confusion for the buyers, and many of them will become disappointed when they see a "new" and supposedly "improved" version some DAYS after his purchase.
I own almost all decorated P.9000 reps V1 bought during LAST YEAR (from KW PAM 312 to KW PAM 382). Now all them are theoretically obsolete (please note I say theoretically)

Time to stop... (well... I will buy this PAM 364 before)

ALE