• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 563 KW short review [pics heavy]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Luminor 8 Days PAM 563 KW

Model: PAM 563
Maker: KW maker
Movement: a6497 21,600 vph decorated to look like P.5000
Dealer: Hont

On my journey to an ever growing collection of PAMs I still had none with a white dial so when I saw Kuvarsit releasing their new 8 days I decided to jump in with a 563.

THE GEN

The 563 is part of the new 8 days line, meant to replace gradually the old manual Luminor serie e.g. 111, 113 and so on. As a matter of fact the 563 is very similar to a 113 without the recessed subdial at 9.
These watches also feature the new in house P.5000 movement with 8 days power reserve, hence the indication on the dial.

THE REP

The rep is a great looker and at first sight the effect is impressive as, in all honesty, happened with all the Luminors I had so far.
The white dial is striking and the black hands an numerals are a good diversion from my usual taste for brown dials/gold hands :)

CASE

The case is the biggest, but less obvious, flaw: I thought (and maker as well I would say) that these new 8 days came with the usual Luminor case we are used to. What was not taken into consideration is the inhouse P.5000 is thinner than a 6497 and allows for a slightly thinner case, Panerai has then decided to update the case.
This was promptly noticed by ALE (big thanks as usual for your constantly impressive work :))
The rep comes with a standard Luminor case, thus thicker than gen, also the rehaut is vertical, while in gen the rehaut has a slight slope.

On a positive note I noticed a better position of the lug holes in comparison to the pics I have seen so far, they are slightly more centered.
Also, even though it could well be an impression, I think the lugs are thicker than before. Maybe you guys can help me with this detail I'm not sure of ;)

CROWNGUARD

The CG is the detail that impressed me the most with this rep.
Having read the comparison posted by ALE and Klockis, I expected a wrong shape of the lever tip, a lever perfectly flush with the CG and a CG pin placed a bit too much to the external side of the crown guard.
As you can see, the CG pin position is clearly more closer to the internal edge than the external and it looks like a better placement than before. It is almost flush with the CG body while it should be a little recessed.
The CG features a beautiful polished line on its edge. This is one of the tiny details that make me love a watch and forget all the other flaws I may see :)

The lever has the same shape as before though, so this lead the upper part of the lever to be slightly recessed inside the CG.
Out of macro shots it looks very good in real life, lever tip is still a bit too detached from the case, maybe less than before though.

DIAL

The white dial is impressive as well, the glossy finish is superb and the painted numbers are thick and rounded, sort of a thick glossy sausage.

Other inscriptions are glossy and raised as well and the lume dots are well applied.

You might notice a defect in the painting of the upper marker of the seconds subdial, where as it seems the seconds hand has spread some paint around. They do assemble these watches in heartbeat don't them? ;)

HANDS

Hands are black, correct color, but the lumed portion should end where the tip of the hand starts, creating sort of triangle.
CP is almost flush, better than my previous KW reps.

LUME

Lume on hands is a bit more yellow than the lume dots around the dial. When charged, hands are noticeably brighter than indices. Lume is very bright and long lasting.

CRYSTAL

Crystal is clear and has correct shape and bevel as far as I can tell.

The AR has a pink/purplish tone. In normal conditions it can't be seen, but under certain lights it diffuses in all the crystal, pretty similar to my 360.

CASEBACK

The open case back is well executed and features crisp and deep engravings. Fonts are extremely close if not spot on.
Of course the movement is an asian 6497 with decorated plates that make it look like the gen P.5000. The effect is very good in my eyes, mostly because the largestpart of the movement is covered by the plates, which are finely replicated.
Apart from the obvious different position of the balance wheel, the only difference I can tell from the outside is the balance wheel being larger than the gen one.

CONCLUSIONS

This is a great rep, with some issues that are minor in my book, but could demand a noticeable effort from the makers to make them right.
The different case in the gen 8 days is not very noticeable at first sight or from a pic, but I think a side by side comparison could tell the unavoidable truth.
The decorated movement on the other hand is one of the nicest I have seen and looks very gen-like, with a beautiful finish that impressed my watchsmith as well :)

I heard ZF is working on a correct case, but who knows if and when will it be out and what will be the price. I think it will also be interesting to see what movement will they use given that Panerai itself had to wait for a thinner inhouse movement to reduce the thickness of their cases ;)
At the moment these are great looking watches, unsuitable for the super rep title, but still a pleasure to wear and to look at!

Now on to my
Usual excessive number of pics :)

And the mandatory wristie:

I wait for your opinions and please do correct me if I said something wrong, I'm always happy to update the review :)

:cheers:

plankton

Renowned Member
18/4/14
Nice review, you make me want to purchase one! Good job on the photos as well.

enthusiastic

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/10/13
nice watch, and review, beautiful strap too. =)

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys, strap is a gunny canvas :)

Ruski91

Respected Member
12/10/12
Another great review kilo! How is the movement holding up

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Another great review kilo! How is the movement holding up

Hehe, how did you know? This one was DOA, but luckily my watchsmith could take care of it at a modest expense and Hont was kind enough to bear the most part of it :)
Now it's perfect.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi kilowattore

Nice review as always. The pics are also impressive as usually
Of course I will include this link in PAM GUIDE, if you continue in this way PAM GUIDE will have more from you than from myself... LOL..
REPUTATION points added, and I will propose your reviews for an award

Some comments to the review:

CASE
I agree the case seems clearly to have thicker lugs than previous KW Luminor 44mm cases and better position of lug holes.
If that is confirmed these lugs could be the most accurate for an old Luminor 44mm case
The lug contours finish is really awesome, completely clean and sharp very gen-like

CROWNGUARD
I get also impressed by the quality and finish of this new CG.
Very nice and NEW for a KW the polished external upper edge
Better placement of CG pin as you have noticed.

DIAL
Magnificent raised and glossy markers and inscriptions in the same way than Gen and even better than Noob PAM 113.
Despite the spread paint of upper marker on subdial @9, these markers are awesome and clearly better than Noob PAM 113 ones.
Perfet lume dots
Really impressed by the quality and sharpness of this dial

HANDS
The real flaw of which you are talking about is that the hands are Pre–V type whereas gen comes with modern type. A usual and understandable flaw in KW 8 days reps
I don’t agree about the quality of CP. It seems pointed and bad polished. Maybe no noticeable in real size

CRYSTAL
I don’t agree about accuracy of crystal bevelled.
KW rep has a clear “wide” bevelled the same as old Luminor 44mm watches, whereas Gen 8 days has very little bevelled almost flush with the bezel.

CONCLUSIONS
Really impressed by the quality of this watch
We can live with the little flaws seeing its gen-like appearance

ALE

barth

Respected Member
5/10/12
Very good review and pictorial here Kilo. Thank you !

+REP

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
What a great review, with killer pics....Thanks for sharing!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
First of all thanks guys :)

Hi kilowattore

Nice review as always. The pics are also impressive as usually
Of course I will include this link in PAM GUIDE, if you continue in this way PAM GUIDE will have more from you than from myself... LOL..
REPUTATION points added, and I will propose your reviews for an award

Some comments to the review:

CASE
I agree the case seems clearly to have thicker lugs than previous KW Luminor 44mm cases and better position of lug holes.
If that is confirmed these lugs could be the most accurate for an old Luminor 44mm case
The lug contours finish is really awesome, completely clean and sharp very gen-like

CROWNGUARD
I get also impressed by the quality and finish of this new CG.
Very nice and NEW for a KW the polished external upper edge
Better placement of CG pin as you have noticed.

DIAL
Magnificent raised and glossy markers and inscriptions in the same way than Gen and even better than Noob PAM 113.
Despite the spread paint of upper marker on subdial @9, these markers are awesome and clearly better than Noob PAM 113 ones.
Perfet lume dots
Really impressed by the quality and sharpness of this dial

HANDS
The real flaw of which you are talking about is that the hands are Pre–V type whereas gen comes with modern type. A usual and understandable flaw in KW 8 days reps
I don’t agree about the quality of CP. It seems pointed and bad polished. Maybe no noticeable in real size

CRYSTAL
I don’t agree about accuracy of crystal bevelled.
KW rep has a clear “wide†bevelled the same as old Luminor 44mm watches, whereas Gen 8 days has very little bevelled almost flush with the bezel.

CONCLUSIONS
Really impressed by the quality of this watch
We can live with the little flaws seeing its gen-like appearance

ALE

Great analisys as usual, I agree with you on what you disagree with me :)
You're obviously right about the CP. It is pointy and it's noticeable in macros, less in real life. On the other hand it looks less recessed than other KW watches I have. They fixed a flaw and added another ;)
Regarding the Crystal, again you're right, I was only comparing it to other old Luminor cases.

Sirlordcomic

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
4/8/14
I can't seem to get a reply from Hontwatch.

Does he sell this watch with the strap you pictured?

Stellar review mate!

hado67

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/11
Nice Review! And the pics.......makes me horny as hell :cool-new:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I can't seem to get a reply from Hontwatch.

Does he sell this watch with the strap you pictured?

Stellar review mate!

Hont's replies have been a bit slower lately with me as well.
The strap is a custom one made by Peter Gunny.
Thank you :)

Nice Review! And the pics.......makes me horny as hell :cool-new:

I see you like white dials from the pic under your name, but this... :lol:

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great Pics and review!! may try one of these myself now, good work!

Thank YOU for the compliment about the pics, you've done a great job with this 449 and I still recall your AP photoshoot, one of the nicest I have ever seen! :)

Luke Warm

30/5/14
Hi kilowattore

HANDS

ALE

Hands appear to be correct on this 563 KW which arrived today from Sead. (Apologies for the quality of the pic)

bd1aa6241ff1de6f5009a8a8d9a2b571.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Hands appear to be correct on this 563 KW which arrived today from Sead. (Apologies for the quality of the pic)

bd1aa6241ff1de6f5009a8a8d9a2b571.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Great! I have seen the same on 564.
It appears that with the new batch they addressed this issue, making a great looking rep even better :)