• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 372 1950 Luminor: Review + Pictures!

silverclaw

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
UK
Officine Panerai Historic Collection:
Luminor 1950 3 Days, Ref: PAM00372

A pictorial short review of the PAM372 - H Factory Non SC.

BY8U8637_zpsf8964133.jpg

This is my favourite watch. Period. A watch that is able to achieve more wrist time as a rep than even the PAM512, a gen; I think it deserves all the praise that it already has.

Since Ale and the rest of the PCTeam already has his amazing comprehensive guide on all the Pams, I'm going to keep the text short, and limit it to my personal opinions of the watch as a watch, and not comparing it against the gen.

Specifications:

47mm Stainless Steel case
Panerai base dial, with vintage lume
Rose gold hands, beige lumed markers
Panerai 1950 case (Different from the 127)
26mm strap

BY8U8638_zpsc7d00cfe.jpg

The Case:

The 1950 case is awesome. I would venture to say that it is perfect for me. It's smaller than a 127 case, and I think even wears smaller than the 312 case. This is good for me as an asian fellow with a small wrist, as this is probably one of the only 47mm watches that I can wear. The wearability of this 47mm watch is surprising, even me with a 6.25" wrist can pull it off without it looking gargantuan. (Okay, maybe it does look a little gargantuan)

BY8U8639_zps40088458.jpg

The polished steel is actually more scratch resistant than other reps that I have had, and I haven't had problems with any major scratches. However, scratches are nice on this, as it adds to the vintage feel.

BY8U8642_zps03dee5da.jpg

The lugs bend downward gracefully, and nicely sits on your wrist. It's one of the more comfortable Panerai watches. The crownguard action is nice and smooth, and does not click into place very tough, like some of the Panerai reps.

BY8U8640_zps32e59ea3.jpg

The Dial:

The base dial is super simple, but I would prefer this over one with a seconds hand any day. There's something about the symmetry that's very appealing to me.

BY8U8647_zpsd49a715a.jpg

The vintage lume is amazing, The best colour that I could want. I just wish the 312 had this colour now. The hands and dial are mismatched in this version, however.

The grain on this dial is very fine, and can be seen in some lights. I have had comments on how vintage looking it was (from non-watch enthusiasts). The rose gold hands complement the lume very nicely.

BY8U8643_zpsd32ce7bb.jpg

Important final comments:

The strap choice on this watch, as with other Panerai watches, is extremely important. It is as important as choosing the head itself. Believe me. When I first got the 372, I basically ditched it in favour of the 127, and my other watches. Even my Seiko. However, replacing the strap with a vintage ammo strap, a Horween strap, and even a croc strap changes the look completely, starting my love for this watch.

The ammo strap seen here is from Septimus straps.
The lighter tan Horween strap earlier is from Seventyfour Watch Straps here in Singapore.

BY8U8644_zps4d7a4a40.jpg

Another important thing is that the plexiglass scratches extremely easily. I have ditched all efforts in trying to polish this thing perfect, as even wiping it with a cloth will produce hairline scratches. This does actually add to the vintage feel though, which is nice.

I may sound like a complete hipster here, talking about vintage, and in fact, I do feel like an awesome hip guy while wearing this. It truly is an amazing piece.

669f5494-f337-4cae-b422-2dbc129b6ad1_zps1f57f5c4.jpg

[^This was taken through a mirror, further emphasising my stupid hipster-ness^]

One last thing: As I mentioned before, this is much more wearable than other big watches, here's a comparison with an AP diver, which is supposedly 42mm in size. It wears like a 50mm on my puny wrist. My wrist size is 6.25".

AP Diver V5 modded; Huge. "42mm"

BY8U8662_zpse1307c7b.jpg

PAM372; Slightly less huge. 47mm.

BY8U8652_zps935ab0da.jpg

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great pics and review mate, you really love this piece! (and I totally understand why) :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks for this nice review and pictorial
Rep points added and I will include the link in PAM GUIDE
Congrats
ALE

Ar71888

26/3/14
Beautiful, great review as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
Thank You for nice photos of this great rep! In case of plexi polishing - my good advice: do it only by hand avoiding any kind of dremel-like tools. You can cut into plexi way too fast...

sjw1921

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/3/14
How to plexiglass to be polished?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hoonz

Known Member
22/5/14
Orlando, Florida
Great review! I'm confused at what you stated in the OP - so you ditched the 372 for a 127? I just bought a 127 which really looks like the 372 minus the seconds @9.

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Great review! I'm confused at what you stated in the OP - so you ditched the 372 for a 127? I just bought a 127 which really looks like the 372 minus the seconds @9.

I have both and they are different. The PAM372 is polished stainless steel whereas the PAM127 is brushed. The crystal on the two are different obviously, with the PAM372 sporting a resin crystal as per gen and the PAM127 using a domed sapphire, but the way they are shaped is different as well, the one on the PAM127 is more of a sloping dome shape, whereas the resin on the PAM372 is more or less flat at the top and goes down at a rather sharper angle. You can see this by the absence of distortion on the PAM372. The lume on both are different as well with the PAM127 getting the greenish lume with the PAM372 having a faux patina lume. The combination of these factors gives the two watches a distinct look which IMHO justifies having them both in my collection.

Hoonz

Known Member
22/5/14
Orlando, Florida
I have both and they are different. The PAM372 is polished stainless steel whereas the PAM127 is brushed. The crystal on the two are different obviously, with the PAM372 sporting a resin crystal as per gen and the PAM127 using a domed sapphire, but the way they are shaped is different as well, the one on the PAM127 is more of a sloping dome shape, whereas the resin on the PAM372 is more or less flat at the top and goes down at a rather sharper angle. You can see this by the absence of distortion on the PAM372. The lume on both are different as well with the PAM127 getting the greenish lume with the PAM372 having a faux patina lume. The combination of these factors gives the two watches a distinct look which IMHO justifies having them both in my collection.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely look into it as a possible piece to my collection. :)

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks Mysterio, I was trying to put down the same thoughts in an understandable english... :D
I would only add the case is different as well, the 372 has a "nervature" on the case side which is not present in the fiddy's 1950 case.
Definitely worth to have them both ;)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11

PAM 372 and PAM 127 are different concepts
You cannot imagine how different can be both watches !!

ALE

BTW- adding also the difference of engraved inscriptions on dial in PAM 372 instead of painted and the double pencil shaped hands in PAM 372

Hoonz

Known Member
22/5/14
Orlando, Florida

ALE

BTW- adding also the difference of engraved inscriptions on dial in PAM 372 instead of painted and the double pencil shaped hands in PAM 372

I'm still new to PAMs, so the difference to me isn't as obvious yet. I'm getting there. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverclaw

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
UK

To clarify, Initially, I liked the 127 first, but then the 372's classic charm won me over. The 372 also wears a lot better than the 127. I really think most people can't pull off a 127.

vdubpower

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/06
just got my noob today.....love it. but the rep strap is a piece of garbage....need something nice sooon

denisparlos

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/5/14
Totally agree with our PAM expert.
Ok if we exclude seconds clock, there is still huge diff.
Just to give you some : hands dial, numbers shape, and obvious watch movement.

ALE