• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob PAM 127 short review [PICS HEAVY]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Noob PAM 127 short review

Model: PAM 127
Movement: A6497
Maker: Noob factory
Dealer: Hont

Hi guys :)

Tonight I'm showing my most recent acquisition: the Noob 127

Obviously we can agree it is one of the most discussed PAMs, and possibly the most famous.
The gen has been released in 2002 and is meant as a homage to the vintage 6152 model.
It comes on a brushed 47 mm case often referred to as "1950" case which truly bears the Panerai historic heritage.
I won't go through a gen vs rep here, the informations are widely available in PAM guide and related threads, I will instead concentrate on my impressions of the rep right out of the box.

DIAL

The 127 features a black sandwich dial with small seconds at nine and gold hands. The color is spot on as far as I can tell, so are the numbers and hands shape. The sandwich effect is deep and the dial itself has a nice semi-matte finish.
Inscriptions are correct, crisp and glossy. CP is not perfectly flush, but the flaw is barely noticeable.

Dial is superlumed, bright and long lasting.

CASE

The 1950 case is brushed with a polished bezel. It really looks stunning :)
From the side it looks pretty thick, also due to crystal shape.

Only thing I noticed is that maybe the lugs are drilled a bit to close to the edge and the part where they meet the case is not perfectly straight, probably due to different construction techniques.

Apart from that it feels pretty solid and has a great gen-like feeling. The brushed finish is very well done.

CASEBACK

The display caseback is nicely done, the engravings on the outer part are deep and correct per gen. Movement is decorated with "PANERAI" engraved all over and "OFFICINE PANERAI" inscription is deeply engraved as well, with correct golden color.

CRYSTAL

Crystal is sapphire with colorless AR, and features a unique super-domed shape.
In my opinion this the distinctive feature of the 127, even more than the brushed case, and sets this watch apart from the other PAMs.
Some batches showed distortion issues, but this specimen looks fine to me :)

CROWN GUARD

The crown guard is brushed and has REG. TM deeply engraved.
Crown guard lever is pointing down, differently than in most other PAMs.
Regarding the lever I need to say that it is built in a different way than that in my 372 or my 390.
Both of these watches feature a lever with a sort of "wheel" installed where the lever pushes the crown, allowing a tight closing of this mechanism.
The lever in PAM 127 has correct shape but it misses this device.
It stays closed, but has a totally different, more wobbly feel.

STRAP

A particular mention for the rep strap: it's unexpectedly good! It feels like real leather (I don't know if it actually is ;)) and is very soft. Definitely a nice surprise! Anyway, most of the pics show my custom one mounted, still a lot better ;)

CONCLUSIONS

All in all, I can only say this is surely one of my favourite watches and I'm very happy I had the opportunity to buy one. The look and feel are exceptional on the wrist. Definitely a super rep and a must for every PAM lover!

A few more shots:

And, of course, a wristie :)

As usual any addition, comment or correction is welcome.
Hope you enjoyed the review and the pics :)

:cheers:

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
Tremendously informative and appreciated.

Would you say it wears "bigger" than its 44mm brethren? Your wrist shot looks balanced, all things considered. If you were to chose this vs bthe same thing in 44mm, would you chose 44 (let's say history didn't matter for the sake of the question)?

Thanks again!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi kilowattore
Nice pics and review you have got here
Rep points added and I will include link in PAM GUIDE
Congrats
ALE

PaneraiAddict

Renowned Member
21/3/14
Def one awesome review and love the added pics.

Have been considering picking a 47 up and this 127 looks perfect.

How does it feel overall on the wrist compared to a 44???

rolexwatchfan

Respected Member
17/8/13

Quite larger, mainly due to larger strap lugs. On the flip side, it is quite comfortable with the propper strap. Rep strap, no go.

PaneraiAddict

Renowned Member
21/3/14
Thanks so much for the info.

Looks like ill def need at least one other strap to go with it.

Gonna look up some photos with different straps right now :)

braith7

Renowned Member
29/4/11
Awesome photos mate - got to love a fiddy!

I just have a sterile homage 127, but I love it none the less - the case shape and the domed crystal somehow give it a visual height that balances out the large 47mm X and Y - one of the best proportioned watches I own I think.

On my homage I found the bezel to shinny so I sanded it and the case to the same level - so I guess its now not so accurate... but it feels a bit less fancy and dressy - so I like it :)

Yours is beautiful. Congrats!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Wow, thanks gents :)
I was a bit worried before posting that no one would have read the thread thinking "oh boy, not
another thread about the fiddy!", but I guess many members see it just like me, pics and reviews are never enough! :D

nice review mate! and some nice pics.

:)
Thanks

Tremendously informative and appreciated.

Would you say it wears "bigger" than its 44mm brethren? Your wrist shot looks balanced, all things considered. If you were to chose this vs bthe same thing in 44mm, would you chose 44 (let's say history didn't matter for the sake of the question)?

Thanks again!

Sure it wears bigger, but as braith7 said the crystal height gives it balance, so it is easy enough to wear it even without huge wrists. Mine is 6.75.

44 mm looks more modern and fashionable in my eyes, while the 47s have that retro touch, so in the end for me they are both worth buying, it's just a matter of what will you wear it with ;)
As for the fiddy, I would stick to the original 47 size because downsizing would mean either having smaller numbers or no seconds subdial.

Hi kilowattore
Nice pics and review you have got here
Rep points added and I will include link in PAM GUIDE
Congrats
ALE

Thanks ALE, much appreciated :D

Splendid! "Fiddy" is a must have Panerai! Great photoshoot mate!

I had only one issue with the photo shoot: I shot some 250 pics and liked them all, so it took me a couple of weeks to cut them down to the ones I posted :facepalm:

Thanks so much for the info.

Looks like ill def need at least one other strap to go with it.

Gonna look up some photos with different straps right now :)

Thank you :)
You're right, the fiddy (as many PAMs) is a joy to wear with different straps, and in my opinion the rep strap that comes with the watch is also worth a go, esp if you want to have a bit more elegant look.
As I said, don't be afraid of the size, if you fell like pulling a 44 you can pull a 47 as well IMHO.

Awesome photos mate - got to love a fiddy!

I just have a sterile homage 127, but I love it none the less - the case shape and the domed crystal somehow give it a visual height that balances out the large 47mm X and Y - one of the best proportioned watches I own I think.

On my homage I found the bezel to shinny so I sanded it and the case to the same level - so I guess its now not so accurate... but it feels a bit less fancy and dressy - so I like it :)

Yours is beautiful. Congrats!

Thanks mate you expressed exactly what I was thinking about proportions of this watch, but did t find the words in english :)
I would like to see your homage, the all brushed look should give it an even more rugged look, esp with the right strap!

eyky

20/1/14
Great review with great pics!
Thanks for the info, makes me want one - perhaps my next PAM.
Congrats on that beauty!

CycleBuyer

15/7/13
Wow, thanks gents :)
I was a bit worried before posting that no one would have read the thread thinking "oh boy, not
another thread about the fiddy!", but I guess many members see it just like me, pics and reviews are never enough! :D

Thanks

Sure it wears bigger, but as braith7 said the crystal height gives it balance, so it is easy enough to wear it even without huge wrists. Mine is 6.75.

!

That crystal is lovely, the dome really sets it apart.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Awesome review and pics K!

Just one question. What is lug to lug size of it and could you take a wrist shot directly up front of it and from greater distance to see how it fits on a wrist? If I'm not asking too much. ;)

Thanks!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Awesome review and pics K!

Just one question. What is lug to lug size of it and could you take a wrist shot directly up front of it and from greater distance to see how it fits on a wrist? If I'm not asking too much. ;)

Thanks!

Posting more pics? Of course! :D

These were already uploaded, let me know if you find what you're looking for :)

Lug to lug it should be 55, maybe 56 mm. Sorry I can't be more precise.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
It's really helpful mate! Thanks a lot, reps given! ;) It wears a lot better on smaller wrist than I thought it does. My wrist is slightly more than 7'' and it looks it would pass easily. Now I only have to reduce my wish list and make some funds. :thumbsup:

rolexwatchfan

Respected Member
17/8/13
:) I had only one issue with the photo shoot: I shot some 250 pics and liked them all, so it took me a couple of weeks to cut them down to the ones I posted :facepalm:

You pick the ones that will have the greatest response to your thread. I wish I had such skill in photography...

Cheesemonger

I'm Pretty Popular
23/11/13
It's really helpful mate! Thanks a lot, reps given! ;) It wears a lot better on smaller wrist than I thought it does. My wrist is slightly more than 7'' and it looks it would pass easily. Now I only have to reduce my wish list and make some funds. :thumbsup:

i think it will work well for you on that size wrist. Mine is about 7.5" and I like the look of it (some older shots of mine).

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Thanks for pics! Looks pretty good. If I had 7.5'' wrist I wouldn't worry but mine is around 7.1'' and 47mm is max for me.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks for pics! Looks pretty good. If I had 7.5'' wrist I wouldn't worry but mine is around 7.1'' and 47mm is max for me.

Thanks for rep :)

But what's the size of the U42 in your sig? I thought U-boats were huge...

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
No problem mate!

Ohh usually they are but this is smaller version at 47mm. I love this watch and I had to have it so I went with smaller one as I can't pull of 53mm. :)

It is supposed to look big so it's not a big deal but I was a bit worried about Fiddy as it shouldn't look too oversized. But by the time I'll be able to pay for a Fiddy I will probably have bigger wrist so no problems there. :p