• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DSN PAM232 - Short Review [pics heavy]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
PAM 232 DSN

Model: PAM00232
Movement: A6497
Maker: Davidsen
Dealer: Davidsen

Here is a short review, and an attempt to compare to gen, of my recently acquired PAM 232.
There is not much info on this rep, in fact I would have missed this one if it wasn't for karesz501 recently showing his own one, so I'd like to thank him for introducing me to this beautiful watch :)
A thank you to davidsen too, I ordered from him right before cny and he has been ultra fast, qc pics in two days and shipped the third. Really good experience and I would recommend him, pity he doesn't offer transshipping for us european members, so the final and bigger thank you goes to my friend Buddhabar, who helped me with the shipment. Cheers buddy! :howdy:

Gen:

Rep:

Gen Panerai 232 is a special edition limited to 1938 pieces released in year 2006 as an homage to the original 3646 model from 1938.
It features a tobacco brown colored sandwich dial with large arabic numbers, golden hands and no seconds subdial. Case is a 47 mm radiomir in polished stainless steel, caseback is closed. The crown is engraved with OP logo.

The rep is available only through Davidsen AFAIK, thus no noob, h-fac or kw version so far.
Classification in ALE's guide is first class high quality rep, if I recall correctly.
Comparing the gen and the rep of this model is kind of difficult, due to the lack of pics and information on this rare model. Obviously I don't have access to a gen ;)
Anyway, for what I found on the internet about this watch, I can say Davidsen has done a good job repping it.
Here are my thoughts, along with some gen pics to compare:

Dial:

Dial is very nice, the tobacco brown color appears the correct shade to me, though according to Grimlocktime gen has a grayer shade. Very difficult to judge from pics because the dial color is highly affected by light conditions, I know I haven't captured the exact color in my pics, thus I can't completely trust the other pics I saw (I do really need a gen of this :D).

Numbers fonts are very close to gen, a bit larger than in other models. Numbers color is fine.
Inscriptions on the dial are correct, Radiomir panerai inscription has very close fonts, but some letters are off, esp the R.
Print should be sharper and color seems a bit too white, though it's hard to say from the pics I found on the internet.

Gen:

Rep:

The hands are well finished, but not as defined as in gen, and correct in shape and color, but the lumed section in the hour hand is ticker than gen. CP is not recessed, but needs flattening (thx Grimlocktime!)

Gen:

Rep:

Lume shot:

The case:

I think Radiomir case is very hard to rep, the mixture of sharp and curved lines seems particularly difficult to obtain.
The result here is pretty nice, though maybe the whole watch looks maybe a bit "rounder" than gen.
Crown is very close, but bevel on the gen is taller and the logo has softer corners on gen (thanks Grimlocktime)

Gen:

Rep:

Crystal is sapphire, as per gen, and has a pronounced curve that I really like :D
Lug bars are thick and a tiny bit shorter than those in my other radiomirs. I can't say if it's correct, but they feel pretty solid.

The caseback:

The caseback is closed and shows sufficiently deep engravings, less than gen however. As you can see from the pics engravings in gen say OP6659 instead of OP6609. Font size is a bit off, but close.

Gen:

Rep:

All in all a stunning watch with a couple of flaws, maybe not a super rep, but something I proudly wear :)

Some more pics:

And the mandatory wrist shot:

Hope you find this helpful, as always feel free to point out anything I might have missed and I'll update the review happily.

:cheers:

Edit: Thanks Grimlocktime for helping me spot the flaws here, I updated the review with your findings. Cheers!

D

d4m.test

Great review! This is lovely watch and no doubt looks great on the wrist. In terms of variances from Gen, here's what I see (some already sighted in your review)

Case shape: gen is a nice "square" cushion shape, DSN is very round
Crown: bevel on the gen (edge of the teeth) is taller. The logo has softer corners on the gen.
Dial: it is very hard to get the gen tobacco brown correct. Reps are almost always too brown. The gen has more cold gray tones. Also the DSN letter shape, especially the "R", as well as the sharpness of the pad print suffers.
Hands: if there's one thing DSN does well it's hands. But here the lume area looks slightly too wide.
Canon pinion: needs flattening
Caseback: font size issues, but finish looks pretty good!

again great review! Wear it well!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks Grim for pointing out those details, you got far better eyes than mine :D
I will update the info in the review asap!

thefever

Renowned Member
29/4/13
Thank you for the review. May I ask what strap is on there? The beauty of the watch is enhanced by that leather.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi kilowattore
Thanks for this nice review and beautiful pics

Rep points added
I will include this link in PAM GUIDE asap

Congrats for the job
Please edit the post including the indications from Grimlocktime

ALE

BTW: thanks Grim fro the list of new flaws

karesz501

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
European Union
Amazing watch and amazing strap selection either! That's something from Alfio (Bakeka straps), right?
I'm feeling proud that someone else pulled the trigger on this because of me, since at the price DSN charges this, I think its a steal!

I'm looking forward if any of the factories release a super rep of this in the future, but until then I'm just simply enjoying mine!

In terms of the flaws, I do not see the case a real issue, DSN updated this a year ago and its WAAAY better than his older Radiomir cases. Its very gen like.
The CP is something that bugs me a bit, I might ask some of our expert modders to flatten it.
The text is not thick and raised enough on the dial, but its very good quality.

I can only encourage anyone who is just considering a nice Radiomir to pull the trigger on this, its a very versatile watch and has all DNA of a PAM.
It is one of the most "respected" pieces amongst Paneristis, you will find plenty of references and background info on this model over there, check it out!

+REP points on your way for this nice review and mentioning me as well :D

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
@ALE and karesz: Thanks guys for the appreciation :)
It's a nice watch indeed, and the case looks rounder in pics than in real life due to light reflections. CP was not an issue for me, but the more I look at the gen, the more I would like mine to look the same :D

@thefever: it's a bakeka aged tan leather (as karesz spotted immediately :)), I think he has some for sale in his section. Go check it if you wish, he's a great guy and makes incredible straps!

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
Thanks for the comparison. Great watch indeed. I had the pencil black DLC version of this watch with the brown dial and it is still one of my favorite Pams. That strap is very nice indeed.

D

d4m.test

CP was not an issue for me, but the more I look at the gen, the more I would like mine to look the same :D

You'd be surprised how easy this is! I'm sure there are several modders on there that would do it at minimal cost.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The crystal has colorless AR but, as with many PAMs, it isn't great. However it's more than enough for daily use, absolutely no problem reading time in any light condition despite the large plain dark dial.

That said I saw recently one of these for sale whose owner had the AR redone and it looked nicer though :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Kilo for remember and BUMP this interesting thread

ALE

Polebear

Known Member
10/1/13
b907fd718f7ea254cb2f1aeed35fcc8e.jpg

Great Watch, love it. Impressed by Quality! Dial is more gray than brown to me as in gen: more vintage than my 372 imho.
Thanks again Kilo for this review!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Dial is "tobacco" color, it's a greyish brown or a brownish grey depending how you see it... :D
Glad to see you bought it and like it mate!

C5000

29/6/12
After being indecisive for 9 months, I just picked one of these up from Davidsen...it's a very nice piece. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on one of these!

timeonmyside

22/3/14
What a great watch! This is moving into my top 5 list for next watches to get. Soo many PAMs, so difficult.