• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The DSN Panerai PAM027A with Genuine ETA/Soprod Movement: Pictoral and Review

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

For quite some time now I have been fascinated by the DSN Soprod Power Reserve Models. If you aren't aware, these watches actually use the same genuine Swiss movements as the gen model: the 2892-2 with 9040 Soprod power reserve module. He makes three different models in several different series. Here's the full list

Black dial
027A: SS with 1997 T dial
027B: SS with 1998 L dial
Black Hobnail
028A: PVD with 1997 T dial
028B: PVD with 1998 L dial
028J: PVD with 2006 L dial
Tobacco Hobnail
057C: Ti with 1999 L dial

Last month I threw down the gauntlet and stated that if the PAM057C is considered a super rep then the 027A should be as well.
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=170383&highlight=soprod
My statement was all based on studying pictures that showed the same case shape flaws as the 057C with a more accurate dial. I decided to put my money where my mouth is and buy the watch to judge for myself.

Wrist Shots:

This watch is scary gorgeous no doubt

The Dial:
Besides the movement this is what attracted me most to the 027A. DSN misses the boat wildly at times, but every now and then he hits a home run. I really believe this dial is a victory. The font is damn good. The vintage aged tritium color is great. The sharp and clean printing on the recessed power reserve meter is just like gen. But what really nails it for me above all of the other DSN power reserve series, is the margin between the indicies and the rehaut. The A Series for both the 27A and the 28A is perfect and totally gen like.

GEN

REP

This is actually what drove me away from the 057C. The margins on that dial are very incorrect. Since I've been building modding and shaping my own Pre-V watches, this variance from the gen would have bothered me.

Notice on the gen the L Swiss Made L is very close, almost touching the rehaut,

But on the DSN the numbers and indicies have the same spacing as the A Series that leave about 1mm distance from the rehaut.

Power Reserve Module:
The only good Macro I could find was off of a 028A, but this is should still give an idea of the quality of the DSN dial.
One item to note: the stem of the gen arrow appears to be a bit thicker and slightly shorter than the DSN

GEN

REP

Hands:
Overall the shape and length of the hands is very accurate, with the small exception being made for the PR arrow. The lume is acorrect matching color, thickness and length appears to be perfect.

Crystal:
I have read over and over again about "cloudy DSN crystals" and never had a problem with them. His recent offerings on his manual wind cases are GREAT. When compared to my BigMatt C3 crystals, the differences are not very noticeable. This is why I was surprised when I got this watch. When bright light enters from a low angle, there does appear to be a slight haze almost like dust. From other angles the clarity is great. Her is a comparison with my 203/A with a BM C3 installed.

Cyclops:
VERY SLIGHT "frozen Halo" as Ale calls it, but honestly it is MUCH better than my Super Rep 299K.

GEN

REP

Case/Bezel:

It isn't 100% gen shape, but it is pretty close. There are definite differences in the lugs. The DSN has a bit of a hump on the top edge of the lug. The gen has a smooth slope. On the bezel: the slope and height look correct to me.

GEN

REP

minimal lug ripple too:

CG:
Plenty to say here. DSN has actually done quite a nice job improving his CGs. The lever tip shape is still off, but at least the back of the lever that tucks into the CG body is now contoured.
I show below a comparison with the Sead A-F Series CG, widely considered to be one of the most accurate CGs available. You be the judge:

Sead on the left, DSN on the right

There are actually parts of the DSN CG that are closer to Gen. On the Gen A Series CG The crown cut out is not square. It has a slight angle at the corners. The Sead appears slightly too square. Also the Sead is very flat on top when the gen is higher in the middle and slopes down toward the edges. DSN has more of this slope.

I still prefer the Sead and in case you were wondering, it fits the DSN case quite nicely. Not perfect, but damn close.

Sead mounted below:

Crown:
It was hard for me to find a good crown shot on the gen, but from the pictures I could find the DSN looks very accurate. It just needs a bit more polishing to be even more gen like

GEN

REP

Screws:
The first time I changed a strap I had to be careful to seat the screw correctly before tightening it. It felt a little rough, but only the FIRST time. I almost think that I broke the thread in by seating it correctly. I haven't had a problem since then through MANY strap changes. The CG screws however do seem to be tapped a little rough. I recommend care when working with the CG screws, but this goes for any rep.

Case Back:
The case back is a slight weakness. In this day ther is ZERO excuse for the inside of the CB to not say "SWISS MADE" That's just lazy that it doesn't have that detail. Additionally the some of the lettering of OFFICINE PANERAI is a bit crooked, But it's so minor you have to stare and study to see it. Finally the case number/serial number/watch number engraving is slightly too small and too compressed. I am being picky at this point however. There are super reps with similar issues.

GEN

REP

Movement:
Simply AWESOME!
One of my main reasons for wanting a DSN power reserve. In the first 60 hours of wear, it only gained 2 seconds. This IS the gen movement. Given, it is missing the decorated rotor and movement ring with pearlage. Genuine Swiss goodness.

Lume:
Last but not least is lume. The DSN is flanked below by a Noob 299 and my Rolli 002A with AUTHENTIC SWISS RC Tritec lume. The DSN lume isn't the best, but this is intended to be a tritium lumed watch, which degrades and weakens over time. This doesn't bother me.

Noob - LEFT; DSN - CENTER; RC Tritec - RIGHT

after 2 minutes:

after 7 minutes:

These weren't my best lume shots. It is much brighter in person

Conclusion: For me the dial accuracy, gen movement, and overall beauty of the watch make this a super rep, especially if the 057C is considered a super rep on a similar basis.

But to Ale, the PCT and the rest of the Darkside... I leave it up to you.

Either way, it's a welcome addition to the Pamily

lvyelion

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/9/13
Great review!!!

To be honest, I as a new commer in the the rep pams, never considered a DSN, I think in recent years this maker was overshadowed by makers like Noob and KW.

But now after this review, I'm seriously considering having a DSN as my next rep.

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Nice write up Grim. There have not been many reviews or comparisons of this watch and yours will surely be added to the guide. Very well done!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Superb comparison with so much in depth detail!
Thank for sharing :)

korneevy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
26/12/10
Nice review. May be for this watch DSN puts his best parts to work, considering the price? I just got his new "improved" CG for 201A and man, does it suck....level appears,to be cut out with a drill, so rough that it not funny...part where it touches the crown is worked on with a massive file or something m all wrong angles and very very rough...

sleeper

18/3/13
Great review gt, nice read over the, morning coffee. Had one of dsn's 28a's awhile back, replaced the caseback with a jacob on mine.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Congrats Grim

This is a great review, enlightening a lot of aspect of this nice replicas

I must to admit that I have discovered some unknown aspects of this DSN rep

This PAM 027 either A or B from DSN is better than I (and many others) thought

Accuracy of the case, leaving aside lug shape is good enough and CG is better than expected and considering the series. Dial is also very accurate despite the flaw in PR indicator hand and some font inaccuracies.
Anyway there are still some dial and case-set flaws to consider this replica a Super rep, bearing in mind current standards

On the other hand, regarding PAM 057 the flaw on dial you have perfectly showed and having the same flaws in case-set don't allow to continue considering this replica as a Super replica and I think it deserves an immediate downgrading.

Therefore IMHO opinion PAM 027 doesn't deserve an upgrading to get the Super rep status, but PAM 057 doesn't deserve to keep Super rep status
Following the data extracted form your review and comments, PAM 027 DSN deserves an upgrading to First Class rep High level and PAM 057 DSN deserves a downgrading to Fist Class rep medium level due to an evident flaw on dial but having an excellent construction quality and an awesome gen movement.

If there are no discrepant opinions I will change these evaluations on GUIDE in about a week

Many thanks Grim for this fantastic investigation work. That is the kind of jobs we need to improve PAM GUIDE

Rep points added.

We are waiting for your comments about PAM 028

Thanks again and keep the good job

ALE

New EVALUATIONS waiting for people confirmation:

PAM 027 DSN - FIRST CLASS REP High level
PAM 057 DSN - FIRST CLASS REP Medium level

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
The DSN SOPRODs have always been fantastic. They are crazy money so there aren't alot out there. DSN always drops the ball when he sands down the crown lever to fit the watch. I always have to spend several hours filing it down nice and curved. The roller ball really was an important innovation from Panerai.

D

d4m.test

Much appreciated Ale!

If you've got a moment, can you drill deeper into your observations about the case set and dial inaccuracies? I don't argue with your reasoning, but I don't think this discussion would be complete without some further specifics.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Much appreciated Ale!

If you've got a moment, can you drill deeper into your observations about the case set and dial inaccuracies? I don't argue with your reasoning, but I don't think this discussion would be complete without some further specifics.

Hi Grim

Sorry but I was yesterday a bit tired (it was about 1,30 A.M in Madrid) when I wrote the post and I forgot to delete the word “important” in the sentence:
Anyway, there are still some “important” dial and case-set flaws to consider this replica a Super rep.

In this way, maybe you (and other people) have misunderstood my post a little.

The correct sentence would be:
Anyway, there are still some dial and case-set flaws to consider this replica a Super rep. (already edited)

The flaws I am talking about are basically the same as you are commenting in the review, but adding some other little flaws I have found (seconds hand and fonts of inscriptions…)

Please find below the list of flaws:

-Lugs shape
-Sharpness and definiion of edges and corners in case-set
-A bit warped polished surfaces in general in case-set
-CG shape and finish
-Lever tip shape
-Polishing of Crown
-Shape PR indicator hand
-Counterweight of seconds hand is wider and shorter
-Seconds hand is a bit thicker and shorter
-Placement of round circle in second hand is closer to the center in rep
-A little frozen halo
-Fonts a bit different in dial inscriptions, see mainly Automatic lettering and PR indicator 10-20-30-40. Also R , U and O of Pamerai Luminor inscription.
-Nice but completely inaccurate caseback

Anyway this is a post to determine the final evaluation of these reps.
If you or other member consider another Evaluation more correct, please let me know to study it.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions
ALE

D

d4m.test

Thanks Ale! I wanted your detailed list, to help me with the things I missed. I noticed the same issue with the round marker on the second hand, but forgot to list it. The rest, I clearly missed. I honestly thought the lettering was quite good, especially on the "Automatic" text. Anyway, thanks for your additions!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
You are welcome Grim
I really have added almost nothing all the merit and the hard work is from you my friend.
It is very easy to work and found some flaws from a good previous review and some good pics like yours

Please, keep this good job
ALE

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Great review and it's about to be duly awarded. Keep up the good work mate!

D

d4m.test

I'm honored Boss! Glad I could add something. Great place you've got here!