• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF 904 Review - the chubby one in the slim-fit suit

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
jToib1.jpg

I am a big fan of grey sunburst dials. That's why I've been eyeing the VSF 904 for a while now, as its dial fits my bag perfectly. If it weren't for the rest. The 904 belongs to the Lumimor Due series and is one of the newer Panerai models that doesn't fit in with the brand's DNA, not only because of its smaller size of 42mm. When I spotted a 904 in M2M last week, however, I couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger. And let me tell you this much in advance - I didn't really regret it.

Why a review? After all, this watch came onto the market in 2018. That's true, but even here on RWI you can find relatively little information about this watch. The Pam community punishes the VSF 904 primarily with disinterest. The 904 is however - maybe because she is not beloved - one of the models that has repeatedly appeared in the "Special VSF Stocks" of the TDs in recent weeks. So it is one of the few VSFs that is at all like available at the moment. I keep getting asked about this watch by friends who are not (yet) Paneristi. Apparently, many newcomers who shy away from the real 44mm think that the 42mm version is a kind of entry into the Pam world; a kind of "Pam-Light". And here it becomes paradoxical. While the Gen 904 is certainly not an entry-level model into the Pam world and differs massively from the classic Luminor models, especially in terms of design, the VSF is indeed a kind of entry-level model due to its massive flaws, which may make you want more.

The Gen
jToYKc.jpg

The Pam 904 is part of the so-called Luminior Due series. These models are smaller and much flatter than the classic Luminor and Luminor 1950 models. On the one hand, the Due models are advertised as unisex variants for women as well, on the other hand, they are of course to be seen above all in the context of the rapidly growing Asian market. Asians often have slimmer arms and therefore shy away from the rather massive Panerai classics. The 42mm models are therefore above all an economic step by Panerai. How much Panerai is in these watches is a subject in itself. One thing is certain: These watches polarise and are viewed very critically, especially by the fan base.
jToy9X.jpg

The Gen 904 comes with a supposed in-house movement of the type OP XXXIV, which was later renamed P.900 for marketing reasons. The P.900 is a fairly simple movement that was actually developed by Richemont for their entry-level Baume & Mercier brand. The special feature of the P.900 - it is extremely flat at just 4.2mm. This allowed Panerai to pursue its own design concept for the 904 - as it did for the rest of the Due series - which clearly distinguishes it from the other lines. The 904 is just 10.7mm thick, significantly narrower than the current Luminor 1950 models, which come in at 15.7mm. This was then also the biggest challenge for VSF.

The VSF 904
jTonDb.jpg

Case

The case of the VSF is reminiscent of the case of the Gen. Both the bezel and - most importantly - the entire "substructure" of the case are significantly thicker than on the Gen. The middle section with its slender lines, also on the VSF, is better. While the Gen is 10.7 mm thick (some sources say 10.5 mm), the VSF is 14.0 mm thick. These are really worlds apart. Especially for a watch like the 904, which is defined by its slim lines, this is an absolute no-go. The VSF looks like a chubby little thing that has squeezed into its confirmation suit with great difficulty. You feel very little of the harmony and lightness of the Gen in the VSF ... at least as long as you don't have it on your arm.

jTO1sQ.jpg

jTouQP.jpg

jTovfW.jpg

jTo6qp.jpg

jToTss.jpg

jToNnQ.jpg

jToEhS.jpg

jToRuL.jpg

While the slightly thicker bezel is still bearable, the actual "foreign body" of the VSF is on the underside. The advantage: ideally, you can hardly see it on your arm. The bottom presses lightly into the arm and the part that protrudes and is visible no longer seems so thick on the arm itself, as if by magic. So from a purely visual point of view, the VSF is not a failure. However, anyone who has tried on the Luminor-Due models at the AD will notice a huge difference in the way they feel when worn.
jToGI8.jpg

jToFZR.jpg

Otherwise, the VSF case is very well made. There is little to criticise about the crownguard, the crown and the lugs. The VSF 904, like the Gen, uses conventional spring bars for changing the strap. Holes are drilled in the lugs for easier access. The entire case is polished, including the CG. It looks chic, but is a magnet for fingerprints and scratches. The engravings on the steel caseback are correct and of the usual solid but not outstanding quality.

3/10

Movement

The reason for the chubby figure of the VSF is of course not the incompetence of the case makers, but the choice of movement. There is no clone movement for the flat OP XXXIV or P.900. VSF therefore had to resort to alternatives. However, slim movements like the Miyota 9015 are not available in the configuration with small seconds at 9 and date. And the all-rounder A7750 is also much too thick. So VSF took the proven P.9000 clone movement and simply redecorated it a little to OP XXXIV. Unfortunately, the P.9000 clone is 8 mm thick, almost as thick as the entire 904, so they had to make big compromises in the case design.
jToSdK.jpg

jToVf4.jpg

jToJlj.jpg

But also technically, the P.9000 clone is not a really convincing solution. The movement has a completely different layout. The balance is at 7 o'clock and not at 6 o'clock as in the P.900. Only the rotor fits, but it is labelled incorrectly. And the functionality is also different. While the Gen movement has a quick date adjustment, the P.9000 has a flying hour - known from GMT movements, among others.
jTo0xv.jpg

On the positive side, the P.9000 Clone is considered reliable. However, on the occasion of the unclear future of VSF, the question of spare parts and/or replacement movements is in the air.

2/10

Dial, Hands, Date

But the 904 is not all bad. The dial is one of the most beautiful dials I have seen on a Pam-Rep, but also on a Rep in general. The sunburst is fantastic! Unfortunately, the sun is not shining here, so I can't contribute any photos (yet).
jTqDnc.jpg

jTqzji.jpg

jTqZuX.jpg

The rest of the top is also very good and close to the Gen. The hands are well done, the DW is indistinguishable from the Gen for a layman like me. The lume is also great. Both in terms of colour and intensity.

10/10

Strap and Strap Replacement

The supplied Asso strap is quite nice, but every Pam Rep friend knows that the Rep straps are the first to end up in a box anyway, from which they never come out again. I took a wonderful thin Churchill strap from DiStefano as my strap of choice - unfortunately in 24mm instead of the 22mm provided for this model.

The strap replacement is very simple. But that is also the case with the Gen. You have simple spring bars that can easily be removed and fastened via the drilled holes. Ok.

7/10

Conclusion

Those who have read this far will be surprised: I like the VSF 904. Despite its massive flaws. It is a kind of hybrid between a classic Pam and a dress watch. The nobly finished case and the wonderful dial bring everything out of it. On the arm, the watch doesn't wear like the Gen, but it still wears well. And the fact that it's only 42mm isn't really noticeable. Is it a real Pam? Yes and no. But paradoxically, the VSF is more of a real Pam than the Gen, because "thanks" to its chubby shape, it is more noticeable and conspicuous on the arm.
jTq2WF.jpg

jTqKJ5.jpg

And does that make the VSF a proper rep? No! I would actually call it more of an homage than a rep. The differences to the Gen are huge, and here it's not a matter of subtleties as with other models, but of the entire line that makes up the Gen.

If you are looking for a Rep that is as close as possible to the Gen: Hands off!

Those who are looking for an entry into the Pam world and think they can start with a 42mm model first: Hands off! The 904 is not a classic Pam, nor is it a Pam light. It's better to go for a slimmer 44mm model such as the 1312, which has a much more Pam look and feel. And if you are looking for a slim watch, dont even consider buying the VSF 904: It is a slim Pam-Rep but no slim watch ;-)
jTqLF2.jpg

But if you're looking for a nice, relatively slim (relatively compared to other Pams) watch that's a bit more classy and "dressy" than classic Pams, but still borrows from the classic Pams, you can buy it here without hesitation. The VSF 904 is a very beautiful watch ... but at the same time a lousy Rep. Thus it goes beyond the classic rating scheme and I leave the final score open this time. In any case, I will keep the VSF 904. And be it as a beautiful fantasy watch ;-)

?/10

Last edited:

Snil

Certified
18/8/20
Nordic
Excellent review!

Now, I’m no hardcore Paneristi in any way, shape or form but I’ve owned a franken PAM112, a Noob 005 and a 1312 from VSF. I adore the 1950 case and everything that the 1312 was, except the size (44mm and 15.5 thick)
It was too much for me to handle with my tiny 17cm wrists.

I stayed away from the 904 for all the reasons mentioned above but with the limited supply I seized the opportunity to get one anyway and I love it despite its flaws. It wears really well and is absolutely gorgeous. Wish I would have pulled the trigger sooner and didn’t care so much about the accuracy.

I do also have the 1055 and 1394, both in 42mm as well on the way and it will be very interesting to compare all the models to each other.

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great and honest review. You made an uncommon point in a community focused on replicating the smallest detail, and I agree with you. Accuracy is not always everything that matters

Reactions: Snil and JayBee0815

weathermanGTS

Load "*",8,1
Patron
Certified
8/9/21
EU | CH
I was chasing this one as well. Glad you got it for this excellent review... just in case you want to sell it one day, I would volunteer to buy it ;)

Reactions: JayBee0815

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
Nice write up, though that CG pin is making my OCD twitch!

The 904 is a lovely watch - despite the flaws.

Reactions: JayBee0815

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Nice write up, though that CG pin is making my OCD twitch!

The 904 is a lovely watch - despite the flaws.

*lol*
Yes, when you start to look at the small and typical Rep-Flaws you will find some more issues. But compared to the big flaws this is like moaning about the dirty windows of a burning house ;-)

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Thanks for the review.
Regarding strap replacement, gen straps in this collection should follow this quick change:
jTnUSb.jpg

Also, surprisingly, VSF was so upset with them because of the resulting thickness that they did not engrave the copy number from the edition of the year at all ..

Using DUE 42mm, and knowing that there is gen due 38mm and luminor 1950 40mm, would you see the point in trying this?
​​​​​​​

Glock3ns

10/2/20
New york
I had one of these. I loved the dial but the thickness made it impossible to wear with a dress shirt.

How did you open the back up without scratching it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drummania

Renowned Member
8/6/12
This is an awesome review, thanks! I have the exact one. Despite its thickness I still think it goes better with shirts than regular PAMs.

Reactions: JayBee0815 and Snil

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
How is the DW alignment on the VSF 904s? I've seen some pictures with horrible date alignment. I thought it might have been a manufacture fault or the datewheel being incorrect printed or something

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I had one of these. I loved the dial but the thickness made it impossible to wear with a dress shirt.

How did you open the back up without scratching it?

I dont know the correct phrase in English, so I let a picture speak. But you must be careful. The correct place for lifting the snap off mechanism is not marked on the caseback.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
How is the DW alignment on the VSF 904s? I've seen some pictures with horrible date alignment. I thought it might have been a manufacture fault or the datewheel being incorrect printed or something

On my model the alignment is perfect. But I can only speak on my behalf.

Glock3ns

10/2/20
New york
I dont know the correct phrase in English, so I let a picture speak. But you must be careful. The correct place for lifting the snap off mechanism is not marked on the caseback.

Do you have another link for picture? It's not showing up

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
The PAM904 cap is a VSF screw cap, it can be unscrewed like any other REP PAM.

Sorry to correct you, Sir. But the VSF 904 has a pressed caseback with a "snap closure" (not sure this is correct Englisch term, in German it is called "Schnappverschluss")

Last edited:
Reactions: Glossy