• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Roger dubuis excalibur tourbillon by bbr review

RiteOnTime

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
10/7/18
So beautiful. Which TD Did you go through. I was looking on IT price isn’t bad speaking on the quality and how nice it is.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
That low PR?! I can’t belive..
It would have been cool if the factory made the winding tool as well..

I did find it surprising when it wasnt still running the next morning. Could be a case of overwinding a movement like this could end in disaster. I dont mind as long as it lasts the time on the wrist what more can you ask for. Its not an auto movement so you’re going to have to wind it anyway.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
So beautiful. Which TD Did you go through. I was looking on IT price isn’t bad speaking on the quality and how nice it is.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I got mine from mary but they’re all the same watch. Apparently ts station give you a nice watch roll with it but i dont know i didnt get it from them.

jcguo0516

4/12/18
damn only 12.5 hr power reserve, that sucks man, really nice looking watches though

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I am confused now..

just found this photo, the sticker says JB factory, the movement is a bit different, didn’t compare everything but I immediately see there is no extra gold gears, the skeleton construction is bolder same goes for the tourbillon cage, there are some other differences and overall I am liking this new release more than the one from BBR factory..

BBR vs JB

708-EFC4-C-E4-E5-4886-B36-C-64-A3-DC47-EADA.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vcappp

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
That PR isn't correct. I have an AP that is a touby and hard to wind. At first I to thought it had a small power reserve till I just kept winding it when it got tough. In the end I could feel as usual when it topped out and my pr went to 40 plus hours. I woyld bet good $$ this is the same thing.

Sent from the RWI App

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
That PR isn't correct. I have an AP that is a touby and hard to wind. At first I to thought it had a small power reserve till I just kept winding it when it got tough. In the end I could feel as usual when it topped out and my pr went to 40 plus hours. I woyld bet good $$ this is the same thing.

Sent from the RWI App

Actually with the skeleton watches as is this RD you can see when you have reached the limit (it is the same on my Hublot Big Bang skeleton tourbillon).
Maybe some of you guys that have this RD should look at the mainspring until it is fully wound if that is the catch (that you did not fully wind the watch/mvt)

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Ok so little update i was being a tool, havent measured it accurately but the power reserve is definitely over 24 hours. Seeing the spring does put me off overwinding it but i was wrong saying it was 12 hours.

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Ok so little update i was being a tool, havent measured it accurately but the power reserve is definitely over 24 hours. Seeing the spring does put me off overwinding it but i was wrong saying it was 12 hours.

I supposed it should have a longer PR..
this is how I wind my skeleton tourbillon, until the end..no problems so far with it

https://vimeo.com/310952772

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I supposed it should have a longer PR..
this is how I wind my skeleton tourbillon, until the end..no problems so far with it

https://vimeo.com/310952772

Yeah fair point, im probably going half that haha. As some one else said its not the easiest watch to wind, as soon as the torque from the spring kicks in its even harder. I guess you could get 2 days from it if you went that far but im cool with half winding it for now

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Can somebody make a technical drawing with measurements of the crown?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Can somebody make a technical drawing with measurements of the crown?

I dont have access to solidworks anymore since i changed job but honestly the only way your making that is to make an electrode and spark it out. Your better off just getting bluetac or something similar and putting in inside something. Plus the overwinding risk is very high.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
I am confused now..

just found this photo, the sticker says JB factory, the movement is a bit different, didn’t compare everything but I immediately see there is no extra gold gears, the skeleton construction is bolder same goes for the tourbillon cage, there are some other differences and overall I am liking this new release more than the one from BBR factory..

BBR vs JB

708-EFC4-C-E4-E5-4886-B36-C-64-A3-DC47-EADA.jpg

Reposting image for tapatalk users.
e470eb98f802cdd4b129082593e07551.jpg

But isn't the Thinner Skeletonized parts closer to gen on the BBR Factory.

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
Reposting image for tapatalk users.
e470eb98f802cdd4b129082593e07551.jpg

But isn't the Thinner Skeletonized parts closer to gen on the BBR Factory.

Overall (judging from the photos) looks like the BBR is closer to gen. Both have flaws which is somehow expected in the rep world and especially with (complex) skeleton movements.
If I did not compare the two vs gen I’d like more the thicker skeeton construction of the JB. In my eyes, both are great achievements by the two factories and praise for them to have accomolished this project that just one month ago was only a dream for some of us.

I do belive they did not make this movement only for the RDDBEX0393 but we will see more models that have the RD505SQ movement inside..

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Overall (judging from the photos) looks like the BBR is closer to gen. Both have flaws which is somehow expected in the rep world and especially with (complex) skeleton movements.
If I did not compare the two vs gen I’d like more the thicker skeeton construction of the JB. In my eyes, both are great achievements by the two factories and praise for them to have accomolished this project that just one month ago was only a dream for some of us.

I do belive they did not make this movement only for the RDDBEX0393 but we will see more models that have the RD505SQ movement inside..

Looking at the gen rendering, I’m inclined to say the JB version is actually closer to the gen. The Cotes de Geneve, for instance, is more pronounced on JB and goes around the dial. That is completely missing on BBR and is a big tell. There are certainly flaws with JB, but they are more subtle.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Looking at the gen rendering, I’m inclined to say the JB version is actually closer to the gen. The Cotes de Geneve, for instance, is more pronounced on JB and goes around the dial. That is completely missing on BBR and is a big tell. There are certainly flaws with JB, but they are more subtle.

I actually had to look really hard at my bbr to see if that cotes de geneve symbol was there yesterday. It is but it would benefit from a ‘platinum paint mod’ haha

Reactions: Hyjynx and odonreps