• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken SMP quartz build - Pic heavy!

EthanJW

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/18
Cornwall
Hi everyone,

I just want to share a project I've been working on recently as I've seen a few posts regarding classic bond SMPs. Omega are absolutely nailing it recently with the SMP range and, with the new bond film featuring an SMP, I think that the classic Brosnan watches are set to see a price hike.

Many people agree that it isn't worth the hassle to franken the wave dial SMPs anymore as you can pick a gen up for ~£1000, but with luck and planning I believe it can be worthwhile to try and build one.

I started my franken with a 21J DHgate piece, exclusively for the case and crystal:

I then began searching for automatic 2531.80 parts via eBay, until I came across a very reasonably priced quartz 2541.80 dial. How hard could it be to build a quartz franken? After some googling I found out that the hands for the 2541 are standard 120/70 quartz movement size; I would need to buy a movement that matched both he hand size and the date window diameter of my dial. It turns out that a Miyota 2115 fits great (I'm not too bothered about datewheel font, as long as it's the right shape and colour). Dial dots were required

Going back to the hands, I underestimated how difficult it would be to find the correct versions. All eBay listing just state "SMP hands" without specifying quartz or auto, so I took to looking closely at the hole size on the photos. A job lot of goodies turned up including 2541 hands, crown, HE valve, and gaskets that I swiftly purchased. Some pics of assembly up to this point:

The WSO aftermarket insert I bought just didn't look right to me, so I needed to get a gen bezel. Eventually I bought one of these for a steal on eBay in pretty rough shape, but the knocks don't bother me at all.

Installing the bezel was difficult, it no longer turns. However it is secure and I can have a look at fixing it later. I decided to paint the second hand tip red again as I really like the red look, and I also made a custom red leather strap for it as I dislike the replica bracelet.

This is where my franken stands now:

I still have the gen crown and HE valve, however I can't install either on the case I have yet, so the rep crowns will have to stay for now.

The project stayed well below £500, so for me this franken is worth every penny. Future additions would include:

-A rep SMPc case for accuracy, and also for installing my gen crown and HE valve.

-Gen crystal; the DHgate one is not particularly good.

-Gen bracelet, to complete the look.

For now however, I am very happy with my unique franken quartz SMP. It's the only one of it's kind that I've seen so far! Eventually I would like to continue work on this one, but I Simply can’t afford to spend anymore on it for now.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Very nice build. The DHgate cases aren't too bad, only complaint would be the thickness of them. Overall though, the watch looks good.

Just FYI, you can put in the sapphire Seamaster crystal that WSO sells for $75. They're thicker and flatter, just like OEM. AR coating is decent too. That's what I used for my 21j 2531.80 franken.

-prick

15/1/17
that sounds like a fun build!
may i ask what you payed for the dhgate watch?
and the dial?

EthanJW

26/9/18
Cornwall
Very nice build. The DHgate cases aren't too bad, only complaint would be the thickness of them. Overall though, the watch looks good.

Just FYI, you can put in the sapphire Seamaster crystal that WSO sells for $75. They're thicker and flatter, just like OEM. AR coating is decent too. That's what I used for my 21j 2531.80 franken.

That's good to hear about the WSO crystal, I'll have a look at them!

EthanJW

26/9/18
Cornwall
that sounds like a fun build!
may i ask what you payed for the dhgate watch?
and the dial?

It was £45 from DHgate, and they actually sent me two for some reason? So I have a black and a blue one at £22.50 each.

I found the dial on eBay for £19, I don't think the seller knew how much it was worth!

Antroz_50

16/10/21
Hi! I’m trying to do something similar, how did you get on with the dial dots? They scare me a bit hahaa!