• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF New 8900 Aqua Terra Master Chronometers

Max_smith1942015

Horology Curious
4/7/20
Hi guys. Just wondering any have you have bought the Aqua Terra Master Ryder Cup Edition 8900 VSF lately. I received QC pictures and now apparently a factory is allegedly claiming that the words 'Co-Axial' and 'Master Chronometer' on the dial are blue instead of black.

Now I've watched some YouTube videos on the gen and also other QC'ed pictures on /RepTime they all show the said words to be in black, not blue. Even some posters here who got their AT Ryder Cup show the words to be in black.

Anyone who has a very recent experience? I don't wish to make any unsubstantiated allegations/claims yet so I'm just sharing what I've been informed (via email)..

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Hi guys. Just wondering any have you have bought the Aqua Terra Master Ryder Cup Edition 8900 VSF lately. I received QC pictures and now apparently a factory is allegedly claiming that the words 'Co-Axial' and 'Master Chronometer' on the dial are blue instead of black.

Now I've watched some YouTube videos on the gen and also other QC'ed pictures on /RepTime they all show the said words to be in black, not blue. Even some posters here who got their AT Ryder Cup show the words to be in black.

Anyone who has a very recent experience? I don't wish to make any unsubstantiated allegations/claims yet so I'm just sharing what I've been informed (via email)..

would you mind sharing one of your QC pics so we can see it? It should be black...

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
fWdHv.jpg

The Reps used to be black but it seems that its an silent update.
I always thought the font should be black but I just saw that its actually blue on photos/viedos of the real watch:
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-ome-0ps8ed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0oKBunpks

https://hodinkee.imgix.net/uploads/i...&fit=crop&ch=W

Seems that the official Omega photos had the black font to make it harder for the REP industry to rep it.

Last edited:

Max_smith1942015

Horology Curious
4/7/20
I always thought the font should be black but I just saw that its actually blue on photos/viedos of the real watch:

Seems that the official Omega photos had the black font to make it harder for the REP industry to rep it.

Appreciate your swift response but I'm beg to differ. That's why I don't put too much trusts on pics this days.. But luckily we have a video and from that YouTube video youpposted (especially from minute 2:50 onwards) it's clear that the colour is black. The contrast with the blue indices is glaring especially when the reviewer moves the watch around.. Black and blue aren't exactly difficult colours to differentiate..

And as I've said, pics from other rep owners of this model (even in this thread) including GL'ed QC pics on reddit show black coloured words instead of blue..

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Appreciate your swift response but I'm beg to differ. That's why I don't put too much trusts on pics this days.. But luckily we have a video and from that YouTube video youpposted (especially from minute 2:50 onwards) it's clear that the colour is black. The contrast with the blue indices is glaring especially when the reviewer moves the watch around.. Black and blue aren't exactly difficult colours to differentiate..

And as I've said, pics from other rep owners of this model (even in this thread) including GL'ed QC pics on reddit show black coloured words instead of blue..

I have a different opinion. I think in the video it's clearly blue even at the time stamp you mentioned. It appears very dark but the markers as well are very dark. The markers have different surfaces so that's why sometimes they appear in dark and sometimes in a lighter blue.
This photos are not from omega: https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-ome-0ps8ed its clearly blue. This are photos made by the seller. I think the font is blue on the Gen, as all the sources I found which are not computer generated pics show a blue font.

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
And just because it was black in old rep batches it does not mean that the Gen is black too. Even if they were GL.

Last edited:

Max_smith1942015

Horology Curious
4/7/20
Again, I do appreciate your effort in the research taken but I have about almost 10 QC pics of the dial and the blue is strikingly obvious (I don't mind sharing to anyone who's interested to take a look at them via PM). As compared to the articles from the links that you've shared or any of those found online with a white background/lighting.. My QC pics also feature white lighting and the blue really stands out. There's no need to even zoom in and I can already tell that it's blue.. Likewise for the YouTube video you can see it's black in colour and it's difficult instead to come to a conclusion that maybe it's slightly dark blue/black after watching that video.. Anyway I've communicated with the TD and see what they say about it..

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Again, I do appreciate your effort in the research taken but I have about almost 10 QC pics of the dial and the blue is strikingly obvious (I don't mind sharing to anyone who's interested to take a look at them via PM). As compared to the articles from the links that you've shared or any of those found online with a white background/lighting.. My QC pics also feature white lighting and the blue really stands out. There's no need to even zoom in and I can already tell that it's blue.. Likewise for the YouTube video you can see it's black in colour and it's difficult instead to come to a conclusion that maybe it's slightly dark blue/black after watching that video.. Anyway I've communicated with the TD and see what they say about it..

Hate to break it to you as the others have, but the gen does in fact have navy blue font for those words. The black font on earlier models was an error. I’ve seen the rider cup edition in person and can confirm.

Do the blues match? Hard to know without a side by side comparison... perhaps the rep color is a little brighter...

All that matters here is that YOU like the watch. If the blue font is something you’ll fixate on, I’d suggest purchasing a different version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe

So we need to agree to disagree on this one.
All the photos I found of the gen are taken in real life, have a striking blue font on the dial. The you tube video is not good to compare the shade of blue cuz it's obvious made in a bad lighting condition.
If you look at the pics at crowncaliber the blue is Def obvious.

Last edited:

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Do the blues match? Hard to know without a side by side comparison... perhaps the rep color is a little brighter...

All that matters here is that YOU like the watch. If the blue font is something you’ll fixate on, I’d suggest purchasing a different version.
100% agreed.

Max_smith1942015

Horology Curious
4/7/20
Hate to break it to you as the others have, but the gen does in fact have navy blue font for those words. The black font on earlier models was an error. I’ve seen the rider cup edition in person and can confirm.

Hmm thanks for sharing. Then I don't think I'll be able to live with that striking blue.. Like you said, maybe the one on the rep is likely to be brighter than the gen. From my QC pics and even 1 QC video the blue is so obvious. As per the QC pic that I've posted. And it's kinda surprising this was only 'updated' now.. Not sure how the previous buyers would feel..

Such a shame as I was very keen to get this over the 8500 one.. Really loved the gold links and the rubber strap combination..

Max_smith1942015

Horology Curious
4/7/20
So we need to agree to disagree on this one.
All the photosI found of the gen and taken in real life, have a striking blue font on the dial. The you tube video is not good to compare the shade of blue cuz it's obvious made in a bad lighting condition.
If you look at the pics at crowncaliber the blue is Def obvious.

Thanks for your sharing and feedback. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Time_Wizard

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Hmm thanks for sharing. Then I don't think I'll be able to live with that striking blue.

Such a shame as I was very keen to get this over the 8500 one.. Really loved the gold links and the rubber strap combination..

Personally I think your watch looks fantastic.... ironically the “update” makes the dial more gen-like lol. You need to consider that lighting is most likely a big player here.

b5e6e9a831bb34a18f6cf733ee6d21a5.jpg

Notice that depending on how the light hits the hour marker the “blue” shade is different. The hour markers and text should be the same color and they appear to be.

Do you mind sharing another photo of the dial from a different angle, not directly in front. I know Lana usually provides these as well.

Reactions: Time_Wizard

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Hmm thanks for sharing. Then I don't think I'll be able to live with that striking blue.. Like you said, maybe the one on the rep is likely to be brighter than the gen. From my QC pics and even 1 QC video the blue is so obvious. As per the QC pic that I've posted. And it's kinda surprising this was only 'updated' now.. Not sure how the previous buyers would feel..

Get the 8500 ryder cup and buy the strap from the 8900. I think it should fit on the 8500 as well.

Last edited:

johndoe27

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/15
Be careful when ordering the VSF Ryder Cup. Recently VSF changed the color of the "Co-Axial Master Chronometer" lettering from black to blue. I haven't had a gen in my hand yet, but in my opinion the lettering is clearly black compared to gen photos. A user had reported this to me and two TDs have now verified it for me. Fortunately, my VSF Ryder Cup, which I ordered last month, still has the black print. According to a TD, this was changed because the lettering on the gen would also be blue. I think that is incorrect. Please correct me, if I am wrong!

Time_Wizard

Renowned Member
17/3/20
Central Europe
Be careful when ordering the VSF Ryder Cup. Recently VSF changed the color of the "Co-Axial Master Chronometer" lettering from black to blue. I haven't had a gen in my hand yet, but in my opinion the lettering is clearly black compared to gen photos. A user had reported this to me and two TDs have now verified it for me. Fortunately, my VSF Ryder Cup, which I ordered last month, still has the black print. According to a TD, this was changed because the lettering on the gen would also be blue. I think that is incorrect. Please correct me, if I am wrong!

The GEN has blue writing as you can read above.

Max_smith1942015

Horology Curious
4/7/20
Personally I think your watch looks fantastic.... ironically the “update” makes the dial more gen-like lol. You need to consider that lighting is most likely a big player here.

b5e6e9a831bb34a18f6cf733ee6d21a5.jpg

Notice that depending on how the light hits the hour marker the “blue” shade is different. The hour markers and text should be the same color and they appear to be.

Do you mind sharing another photo of the dial from a different angle, not directly in front. I know Lana usually provides these as well.

Okay since this is requested then I'll post the pics here.

saucin

Renowned Member
20/4/20
Looks great to me, but to each his own... I wouldn’t want black text lol. Looks so good with all matching blue.